[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Questions for those who completed the game!
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 02:11
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2015, 01:25 

13 Jun 2015, 19:03

So, I wanted to ask a few questions to the members who completed the game.

1.)What did you think of the game?
2.)What ending was your favorite/least favorite?
3.)Who was your favorite/least favorite character?
4.)Which character did you think was the easiest/most difficult to play?
5.)The sandbox thing, close to the end of the game, what do you think about it?
6.)Does this game make a philosophical argument to you, or at least provoke thoughts?

Thanks. I wanted to hear more from others about this gme too.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 21:06 

03 Oct 2009, 19:00

It's my all time favourite but I love it as much as it frustrates me. It's smart, challenging, wonderfully creative and at least in its original English translation closer to a fever dream that barely makes sense. Put it this way. It's a very special game.

The "secret" one. I had to applaud them for that one. It was worth the time and effort for that narrative twist.

I have a lot of sympathy for Lara but it was Ana that was most interesting for me.

Bachelor was the most straight forward for someone that is used to playing fps titles. Haruspex was more rush tactics and hoarding while Devotress was a balancing act who if played carefully would be incredibly powerful.

The narrative twist? I loved it.

6.)Does this game make a philosophical argument to you, or at least provoke thoughts?

With the narrative twists yes it provokes thought. Without the deeper narrative it is a wonderfully atmospheric survival game that gleefully makes the player its bitch. Add in the narrative twists and it adds a brilliant layer of metaphor, mystery and performance.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2015, 22:02 

12 Dec 2015, 21:42

It has the deepest and most complex story I have ever seen in a game (although, to be fair, I haven't played many video games in life). The gameplay was a bit tedious and repetitive. I had similar feelings about The Void.

The Changeling's ending, it keeps the Town intact and gives it a future, albeit uncertain. I have not found the secret ending.

I loved the executors' sense of humor :) As for the least favorite character, Aspity always gave me creeps, no matter which character I was playing.

The most difficult part was Haruspex's Day 1, otherwise it was about the same.

Maybe I did not get its point... I found this 'meta' talk superfluous. In addition, it is such a long way up and down the Polyhedron...

It does, to some degree. I see the game as an abstraction of the development of human civilization. On the other hand, I don't believe in miracles - permanent or otherwise, as I don't believe in a Law presiding over the business of miracle-making.

Last edited by Drifter Man on 12 Dec 2015, 22:26, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2016, 13:55 

20 May 2012, 05:12

I was very angry with it. I remember dying multiple times on day 2/3 and not understanding why. Issues with understanding what keys did what, how to complete certain quests, where to find things on the map etc. It's very lucky the game found me at a time when I had little else to play or I think I would of dropped the game altogether. In the end though the complex gameplay and the twisting story kept me hooked to the very end.

Well I definitely didn't like the ending where everyone died of plague (my first ending) and really enjoyed the polyhedron ending.

I really liked the 3 women who have the side mission involving the murder of the army general. Julia, Lara and Anna. I couldn't stand Anna but respected Julia.

Typically I found the changling quite easy as she has a short ranged weapon that never wears out or require repair where as the doctor I found more difficult because I always felt confused about the quests and letters he was sent (I think this was part of the charm of playing him though)

It was really unexpected, that's for sure.

It was really difficult due to the translation as even with my first playthrough finished I still had very little understanding of what happened. Overall I did find the little interactions between the NPC characters very interesting, like looking at diseased people moping around, then watching them being molotov'd and then watching guards chase down the arson and kill him while a mugger takes advantage of the distraction and kills the guard. This sort of 'organized chaos' felt very strange to be a part of, watching the structure of things fall apart.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable