[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Confessions of a Jazz Musician
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 11:50
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2009, 19:12 

20 Jan 2007, 19:47

My friend Oleg is a jazz pianist and avid gamer, living in Shanghai. He recently finished Pathologic (Russian version), and the way he chose to play was probably a little different to how most of us played :) He sent me this e-mail. I thought it was a really interesting account, and asked his permission to share it with you:
Quote:
I do think that it's one of the most interesting games ever, and a hell of an experience.

I also find the game's open-endness amazing. I screwed up main quests, let characters die, yet I was still able to finish the game.

I simply slept through half of it. On Day 7, I got tired of everything. I didn't know how to cure my "adherents" who got sick because I failed to complete main quests.
So I visited every store in the city and bought the entire supply of food. I already had some food I'd stolen from innocent people's houses.
I then went to Capella's house and, without saying a word to her, went to sleep on her bed.
I slept for five days. Things changed around me. The army arrived. The sexy Inquisitor arrived. But I kept sleeping, periodically munching on dried meat to keep myself from starving.
I slept peacefully, ignoring my duty. On the 12th day, I left Capella's house. The sky was unusually clear. The city was empty. Most of my adherents were sick. I had no means to cure them. Burakh called me. I went to visit him and he said he wanted me to cure his adherents.
I laughed in his face.
"Fuck you", - I said. - "I slept for five days, letting MY adherents die. Why the fuck should I care about YOURS?!".
Burakh was silent. I then whistled happily and went to the Cathedral. The Executioner was standing there, sadly pointing his beak at me.
"You haven't cured your adherents", - he told me. - "You cannot enter. We won't trust you with a decision concerning the fate of this city".
"Oh really?" - I said. - "I'm SO sad! Gee, I have Fallout 3 to play and you think you can scare me with this shit?"
I approached him closely. He could feel my breath on his beak.
"Let me tell you a secret", - I said, similing maniacally. - "I'm not a doctor. I'm a jazz musician!!".
I turned abruptly and went off, leaving him alone. I climbed into bed and slept. I saw the destruction of the city.

It was over.

Okay :) The point is, how many games let you role-play like that?!

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 21:17 

31 Mar 2008, 00:25

:lol:
This reminds me of another story. I was playing as the Impostress, when our neighbour, a 12-year-old boy dropped by. He got interested and asked me to let him play for a bit. So I let him give it a try and went to fix dinner for the family. After about an hour I became interested how our guest was doing. Well, I found his Impostress in perfect health, but with 0% reputation, no ammo (there'd been about 30 cartriges I think), dancing around a street throat-cut with a scalpel in her hand. The street was covered with dead bodies of robbers, soldiers, beggars... "A nice game, he said, only the cartriges are too scarce and there are no combo strikes for the scalpel."

So, I again come to the conclusion, that Pathologic IS a unique game for every type of player! My low bow to IPL! :)

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 03:30 

20 Jan 2007, 19:47

Ha ha! :D That's brilliant! I'm surprised he didn't get a knife in the face, though - I admire his skills :)

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable