[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums :: Sit down to my table - Page 3
Ice-Pick Lodge forums
http://forum.ice-pick.com/

Sit down to my table
http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11477
Page 3 of 4

Author:  Sexbad [ 04 Sep 2012, 04:27 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

I'm technically from the grand old USA, but I'm just a guy from the internet,

Author:  ghosts [ 04 Sep 2012, 16:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

wow! That's amazing, thank you so much for writing back such a detailed answer, that completely answers my question and then some! "the rebellion" that's such an interesting idea, like a real life interactive theatrical experience! I can see how you would want to make it into a video game after that.

Author:  Voltigam [ 08 Sep 2012, 23:21 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Thanks for your fast answers - I think that many players are impressed that they can read about your thoughts of the game. (Even if everyone lives in their own world)

Well, I was born in Portugal, but grow up in Germany since I'm 3, 4 years old. (portugues mother, german father)
I would like to know, what is the intro about in Pathologic ( The one, where the children inhume a puppet, while it rains). :)
Also, I'm wondering about the Ratprophet - I like him, would like to know "more" about.
Who had wrote the story about the Crystalflower ? It's a story, which I'd like to tell my children...if I have someday children (I hope so :) )
-> How came the idea - was it intuition ? Or a dream ?
I dont want to ask for everything, it destroys the magic, but theres Marc...and at the end of Bachelor-Scenario, he asks me on the last day, if I now understand his role, but the only option was "Yes." - Which role does he play ?

Author:  Yakjazz [ 09 Sep 2012, 23:21 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
All of your games have featured cycles and allusions to events in the future. Is this something you find important for game design in general?
Yes, it is. )

Author:  Throdax [ 10 Sep 2012, 13:39 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

So NorD, tell us more about board games.

Tell me you got TI3 and AH in the office.

Author:  jakubcjusz [ 10 Sep 2012, 18:58 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Or Eclipse! :)

Author:  NorD [ 23 Sep 2012, 00:19 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
Thanks for your fast answers - I think that many players are impressed that they can read about your thoughts of the game. (Even if everyone lives in their own world)

Well, I was born in Portugal, but grow up in Germany since I'm 3, 4 years old. (portugues mother, german father)
I would like to know, what is the intro about in Pathologic ( The one, where the children inhume a puppet, while it rains). :)
Also, I'm wondering about the Ratprophet - I like him, would like to know "more" about.
Who had wrote the story about the Crystalflower ? It's a story, which I'd like to tell my children...if I have someday children (I hope so :) )
-> How came the idea - was it intuition ? Or a dream ?
I dont want to ask for everything, it destroys the magic, but theres Marc...and at the end of Bachelor-Scenario, he asks me on the last day, if I now understand his role, but the only option was "Yes." - Which role does he play ?
Friend, you're right - it destroys the magic.

Nevertheless I wouldn't call it "magic". It's many times I told (this "many" refers more to Russian interviews though :wink: ) that I was just a "medium" in Pathologic situation. This is not a PR status, this is really so. I was just trying to describe the situation as I saw it.

Still, I'm a professional. So I can explain why every episode is present in the game.

The intro scene is the key to the core of the game. Which is the multidimensional aspect of everything that happens. About puppets and all that question of player's freedom. This scene was like a concentration of the whole game's essence to me.

A Rat Prophet was just a guy who had to be there. I still don't understand him well. Not a foppishness at all.

It was me, who wrote the story. I have written every word in this game (beleive me, in Russian it is fine. I don't like to praise myself, but I created a good text - some literature critics told me that I must write a book afterwards). But it was also an idea implanted into the game. I was only an interpreter.

Author:  NorD [ 23 Sep 2012, 00:22 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
So NorD, tell us more about board games.

Tell me you got TI3 and AH in the office.

Hey-hey, Throdax... What do these words mean?

Author:  NorD [ 23 Sep 2012, 00:23 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
Or Eclipse! :)
... and this one too!

Author:  Throdax [ 23 Sep 2012, 01:54 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
Quote:
So NorD, tell us more about board games.

Tell me you got TI3 and AH in the office.

Hey-hey, Throdax... What do these words mean?
O_o

Arkham Horror (AH)
Twilight Imperium 3 (TI3)

Author:  Upthorn [ 23 Sep 2012, 07:40 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Presumably jakubcjusz means http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/72125/eclipse by Eclipse, as well.

Author:  jakubcjusz [ 23 Sep 2012, 11:48 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

You are right, Upthorn. One of my favorite games.

Author:  Throdax [ 23 Sep 2012, 13:24 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
You are right, Upthorn. One of my favorite games.
How does it compare to TI3?

Author:  jakubcjusz [ 23 Sep 2012, 21:38 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
How does it compare to TI3?
I've never played TI3, but after reading reviews it looks like Eclipse is definetly faster (2-3 hours) and it doesn't contains parts, that slow downs game (spies, secret targets). After finishing turn you need about 30 seconds to calculate outcomes and incomes. Everything is open to everyone - only points for fight are hidden.

You can build your own ships (no matter how many players, there is never two ships that are build the same way) and build galaxy during play. There's dice rolling while fighting, but you can modify results by including computers and shields on you ships.

Player boards are so helpfull, that when you know how to read them, you don't need to remember rules. So you can explain rules in 15-20 minutes.

I can't tell which game is better. Hope one day I will have opportunity to play Twilight Imperium 3.

Author:  Throdax [ 24 Sep 2012, 00:12 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

TI3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTcxQS-S82k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSEigqqNnyM

Author:  Chivalry is Undead [ 24 Sep 2012, 13:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

My favourite game was Arcanum for nearly a decade until I played Pathologic, which now shares equal first. I even cited Pathologic in early drafts of some of my academic writing (it did not make the final draft because there was just too much to say about it) to do with the instructive utility of fiction.
I have two questions, one short and one a bit longer.

What sister did/would you choose for breakthrough in the Void?

Secondly, It has been some time since I played Dankovsky’s scenario. I thought Bachelor Dankovsky was a great character; cocksure, clever, sharp-witted and blunt-mannered. He takes the burdens he’s given with resolve and faces the prospect of the unexplainable with courage. Also quite compelling were the Stamatin Bro’s; anyhow…
Dankovsky’s scientific positivism plays a big role in his character’s arc, particularly I guess a tension between his empricism and klara’s mysticism
It’s difficult to see what direction that tension takes at the end of Bachelor’s scenario, things get a little - translation notwithstanding - crazy. At first, (and moreso when I started playing through Klara’s scenario when Dankovsky corroborates her miracle), I thought there was a clear rejection away from what might be described as a crude physicalism or logical positivism, but playing through again I wasn’t so sure. Particularly, I look at the Polyhedron as a structure of idealogy, something that gels with Dankovsky’s project against death, and obviously saved in his scenario. In the end Bachelor selects the somewhat transcendent/ideological Polyhedron over the worldly, material town, but it didn’t ultimately feel as I expected it to; as representing the rejection of physicalism in favour of mysticism.
Obviously, the themes of religion and mysticism have been present in every IPL work so far but in a more explicit conflict in Pathologic (there are commandments, zealous brothers and Creators in Void but those ideas aren‘t set against an the same contrast)
Is there an implicit favouring of spiritual/continental approaches over the logical/analytic, or is the idea to take on a more holistic outlook?
I have my own ideas of course, but perhaps you have some input?

Anyway, I think you did a tremendous job with Pathologic (reminded of Camus’s Plague).
Quote:
Actually we're thinking of using the Kickstarter for Pathologic total rremake.
Stop posting, close the thread, call the police, have them come over to my apartment, and take my money

Author:  Sexbad [ 25 Sep 2012, 20:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
It’s difficult to see what direction that tension takes at the end of Bachelor’s scenario, things get a little - translation notwithstanding - crazy. At first, (and moreso when I started playing through Klara’s scenario when Dankovsky corroborates her miracle), I thought there was a clear rejection away from what might be described as a crude physicalism or logical positivism, but playing through again I wasn’t so sure. Particularly, I look at the Polyhedron as a structure of idealogy, something that gels with Dankovsky’s project against death, and obviously saved in his scenario. In the end Bachelor selects the somewhat transcendent/ideological Polyhedron over the worldly, material town, but it didn’t ultimately feel as I expected it to; as representing the rejection of physicalism in favour of mysticism.
continuing with the *SPOILERS*

I'd like to just note that there is a pretty big choice at the end involving whom you'd prefer to believe. I thought the Kains were doing something that they thought would really save the town, and I adored the Stamatins' creativity, but I couldn't bring myself to believing that their attempts would have a positive outcome. Perhaps it's because I'm a very non-spiritual atheist that I chose not to go along with their superstitious ideas, even though I had become caught up in a web among all of them. When I received the letter from Burakh about how the children are the future, I started to appreciate what he'd been doing more. And when I learned more about the intentions of each of the three protagonists, I started to figure out that there would be a big decision to make based on the company they kept.

It's a little funny how the scientific man became involved in a more and more spiritual plot while the ritualistic butcher type brought himself to--from my perspective as the Bachelor--a more down-to-earth conclusion. I ended up siding with Burakh in the final decision, and--I'm not kidding--it was the hardest decision I've ever made in my life.

I really think that the decision making in Pathologic was something special that introduced a very unconventional kind of challenge to the game. Everything was character driven, which meant I needed to think critically about my decisions rather than Mass Effecting it and deciding "now I will be a paragon/dick." I'm really hoping you'll expand upon it even more in some of your future games.

Author:  Sexbad [ 29 Sep 2012, 02:01 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Oh, and also a question...

I think that over time, IPL has gained and lost a few team members. If you really end up doing a Pathologic remake, do you think the project may lose something special that previous IPL members had given it? Or do you have more raw talent on your hands now, would you say?

Author:  jakubcjusz [ 02 Oct 2012, 21:08 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

And yet another question from me:

What is "Vital World"?

Author:  NorD [ 02 Oct 2012, 22:08 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
I have two questions, one short and one a bit longer.

What sister did/would you choose for breakthrough in the Void?
I grew older, so now it's the Nameless One.
Quote:
Secondly, It has been some time since I played Dankovsky’s scenario. I thought Bachelor Dankovsky was a great character; cocksure, clever, sharp-witted and blunt-mannered. He takes the burdens he’s given with resolve and faces the prospect of the unexplainable with courage. Also quite compelling were the Stamatin Bro’s; anyhow…
Dankovsky’s scientific positivism plays a big role in his character’s arc, particularly I guess a tension between his empricism and klara’s mysticism
It’s difficult to see what direction that tension takes at the end of Bachelor’s scenario, things get a little - translation notwithstanding - crazy. At first, (and moreso when I started playing through Klara’s scenario when Dankovsky corroborates her miracle), I thought there was a clear rejection away from what might be described as a crude physicalism or logical positivism, but playing through again I wasn’t so sure. Particularly, I look at the Polyhedron as a structure of idealogy, something that gels with Dankovsky’s project against death, and obviously saved in his scenario. In the end Bachelor selects the somewhat transcendent/ideological Polyhedron over the worldly, material town, but it didn’t ultimately feel as I expected it to; as representing the rejection of physicalism in favour of mysticism.
Exactly.
Quote:
Obviously, the themes of religion and mysticism have been present in every IPL work so far but in a more explicit conflict in Pathologic (there are commandments, zealous brothers and Creators in Void but those ideas aren‘t set against an the same contrast)
... Don't forget the gods' triumvirate in "Cargo!" :roll:
Quote:
Is there an implicit favouring of spiritual/continental approaches over the logical/analytic, or is the idea to take on a more holistic outlook?
I have my own ideas of course, but perhaps you have some input?
Actually I don't like to "explain" my games... Being often asked about "what did you mean by..." I feel vexation - because if I create some ambiguity it means that both meanings or interpretations are important in the game. :wink: But to answer your questiom - of course, it's the latter. )

Author:  NorD [ 02 Oct 2012, 22:53 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
Oh, and also a question...

I think that over time, IPL has gained and lost a few team members. If you really end up doing a Pathologic remake, do you think the project may lose something special that previous IPL members had given it? Or do you have more raw talent on your hands now, would you say?
I will send an invitation to every man who took part in making Pathologic (I mean the core crew, of course). But if someone will reject it, we still be working as reconstructors and restorers and every sufficient detail will stay same. So don't bother about it. For example, if Andriesh Gandrabur, the sound designer and composer, who is very difficult of access, won't answer my calls and letters, another sound designer will just make a slight remastering of his tracks under my strict supervision. :!:

Author:  NorD [ 02 Oct 2012, 23:13 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
And yet another question from me:

What is "Vital World"?
"Vital Word", you mean. A concept of the next "epic game" (or "Pathologic-like game"), as "The Frost" is. It is a carnival game (yes, our second attempt of making a carnival!) about a... language apocalypse. I'll tell you guys more about it later. It is much more interesting than "Cargo!" was. It's organic. )

Author:  Throdax [ 03 Oct 2012, 01:35 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
Quote:
And yet another question from me:

What is "Vital World"?
"Vital Word", you mean. A concept of the next "epic game" (or "Pathologic-like game"), as "The Frost" is. It is a carnival game (yes, our second attempt of making a carnival!) about a... language apocalypse. I'll tell you guys more about it later. It is much more interesting than "Cargo!" was. It's organic. )
Vital Word gets my vote for the next project, tied in with the Patholofic remake :)

(Something in the veins of Turgor goes to the top of my wishlist) :D

Author:  NorD [ 03 Oct 2012, 16:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Throdax, I'll tell a bit more about it in the nearest days. Only here, in this thread. You'll be the first people to know the details. :wink:

Author:  jakubcjusz [ 03 Oct 2012, 18:44 ]
Post subject:  Re: Sit down to my table

Quote:
"Vital Word", you mean.
Sorry, my mistake.
Quote:
A concept of the next "epic game" (or "Pathologic-like game"), as "The Frost" is. It is a carnival game (yes, our second attempt of making a carnival!) about a... language apocalypse. I'll tell you guys more about it later. It is much more interesting than "Cargo!" was. It's organic. )
Sounds like Babel Tower story... But definetly can have interesting quests.
Quote:
Vital Word gets my vote for the next project, tied in with the Patholofic remake :)
I vote for Frost ;) And Pathologic remake of course.

Page 3 of 4 All times are UTC+03:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/