[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Introduce yourself.
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:35
 Post subject: Introduce yourself.
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2005, 10:33 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

The point of this topic is for everyone on the forum tell a little bit about yourself - like where you are from, what's your age and basic interests such as favourite music, films or any other hobby you feel like telling us about.

I'll start with myself - I'm from Russia, Moscow. I am 18 years old and I'm studying on the second course of the Moscow Engeneering and Physics University to become a game developer. Currently tinkering with my "Godsend" project. My likes in music are very versatile - from heavy rock and metal (Pain, Rammstein, Burzum) to anime soundtracks... Also I like about any group that created somewhat original tunes. My viewing interests are currently focused only on anime (Jappanese animation), but i like lots of normal movies as well.

That's about all. ^_^
Now let's hear about you...

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself.
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2005, 16:40 

28 Sep 2005, 15:20

I live in Manchester, UK, 24 yrs old and self employed. I have a few core interests... no.1 - RPG's! :) and am currently working on a project called "Ashes" *points to sig*. I also play guitar, write songs and used to be in a band - currently looking to either join a new band or write / record on my own. My other main interest is Art but i've not been keeping up with it very much so plan to start afresh when i retire - live in the country, breath the fresh air and paint! :)

As far as music goes, i'm into all kinds of stuff, most notably Soundgarden, Breed77, Bob Dylan, Jeff Buckley and too many more to mention.

Favourite film: Lost Highway by David Lynch but i mainly enjoy european or eastern cinema and directors such as Krzysztof Kieslowski.

I'm not much of a reader because my eyes can't keep up with my wondering brain but my favourite books are: Catcher in the Rhy, 1984, Brave new World, Watership down and To kill a mocking bird.

Quote:
Currently tinkering with my "Godsend" project.
cool, tell me more! :)

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2005, 17:21 

29 Sep 2005, 16:43

Hi

I am from Rzeszow - this is an average town in south-east Poland, but currently I am staying in Leipzig, Germany. I am chemist by education and that is also my profession.
Quote:
but i mainly enjoy european or eastern cinema and directors such as Krzysztof Kieslowski.
Nice to hear familiar Polish name from the mouth of Englishman! This is also my favorite Polish director. As for others: Tarkovski is definitely near the top of my list. Also Mihalkov and many others.
I like books. Mostly Russian classicists (if that is correct word :wink: ) like Dostoyevski. I enjoy a good science-fiction literature as well (with an accent on science), and in this field, there is no better writer than Stanislaw Lem.
Something about music: I like Portishead, Nick Cave, Tool and many others. From more exotic: Jacek Kaczmarski (Polish poet and bard).

And of course computer games (cRPG) :D . That is why I am here.

added:
Forgot my age. I am 26.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2005, 18:34 

Quote:
Hi
Nice to hear familiar Polish name from the mouth of Englishman!
hehe... not something you hear too often then eh? ;)
Quote:
This is also my favorite Polish director. As for others: Tarkovski is definitely near the top of my list. Also Mihalkov and many others.
Tarkovski, is he the Solaris/Stalker guy? i keep meaning to watch some of his films but haven't gotten round to it yet.
Mihalkov, i've never heard of before, any film recommendations?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2005, 19:09 

Quote:
Tarkovski, is he the Solaris/Stalker guy? i keep meaning to watch some of his films but haven't gotten round to it yet.
Exactly. Also "Nostalgia", "Andrei Rublev", "Sacrifice" (his last movie, finished shortly before his death).
Quote:
Mihalkov, i've never heard of before, any film recommendations?
To correct myself: It will be Nikita Mikhalkov. I think, he is the most known from "Burnt by the Sun". This is the one I've watched recently and would certainly recommend.
I have read somewhere that the second part is in production.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2005, 20:36 

Quote:
To correct myself: It will be Nikita Mikhalkov.
thanks, much easier to find on google! ;)

Quote:
I think, he is the most known from "Burnt by the Sun". This is the one I've watched recently and would certainly recommend.
I have read somewhere that the second part is in production.
Ah! in fact i do know him, just not by name... "Burnt by the Sun" has been on my "films to watch" list for sometime now! :) as well as "Barber of Siberia"

Thanks for reminding me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2005, 15:07 
Старый Добрый Эль

Heh... Speaking about my rotten luck - as soon as I drop ot of the Wired due to technical problems, the empty forum i'm supposed to be moderating not only livens up, but gets visited by quite educated people here...

I'm really surprised, that Tarkovsky's and Mikhelkov's films got translated (Oh, wait, you must be watching with subtitles, right?) and that you actually named 5 of my favourite films so far. ^_^ maybe, you've seen some movies by George Danelia too? Kin-Dza-Dza, for instance?

2mikaelis - If a Russian version of Pathologic will do for you, i can mail it to you for free - i have a spare copy. It's just that most Polish people I've met so far know Russian surprisingly well for some unknown reason. And if you like science-fiction, where "science" is the keyword, you should deffinitly read something from the Strugatsky Brothers, the ones, who actually wrote Stalker, though the book is called "An Offroad Picnic" and is about different characters, than in the movie. And, of course, Ray Bradbury - my favourite foreign author, but, I suppose, you've read his books already...

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2005, 15:12 
Старый Добрый Эль

Oh, yeah. I'm sorry in advance, but i will not be able to give a full reply to your question in the Main section for a few days or so - I'm quite in a pinch, trying to prove the army, that i'm uncapable of serving my country their way. :) To tell the truth, it's a pain in the arse in Russia...

But, when I'm done with it, I'll answer A.S.A.P.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2005, 17:47 

Quote:
I'm really surprised, that Tarkovsky's and Mikhelkov's films got translated (Oh, wait, you must be watching with subtitles, right?) and that you actually named 5 of my favourite films so far. ^_^ maybe, you've seen some movies by George Danelia too? Kin-Dza-Dza, for instance?
Actually, Mikhalkov movie ("Burnt by the Sun") happened to be very popular and highly acclaimed in Poland (and not only in Poland I suppose), so it is not surprise that it was translated.
With Tarkovsky's movies it is different story. It is really hard to see one, although most of them were shown in the Polish TV, so they had to be translated as well (I mean, we don't have usually full dubbing. Just Polish lector). The problem is that they were shown really "once upon the time" :D . I watched some of his movies, here in Germany. They were original versions with English subtitles - really nice releases with additional disk - with something like "making of...", and some comments of Tarkovsky himself.
I've never heard of Danelia, but I will try to get in touch with one of his films.
Quote:
And if you like science-fiction, where "science" is the keyword, you should deffinitly read something from the Strugatsky Brothers, the ones, who actually wrote Stalker, though the book is called "An Offroad Picnic" and is about different characters, than in the movie. And, of course, Ray Bradbury - my favourite foreign author, but, I suppose, you've read his books already...
I have read "An Offroad Picnic". Quite long time ago though, so I will probably try it again. Bradbury is familiar to me, but only by name :D . I just never had an opportunity to bump into one of his books.
Quote:
I'm quite in a pinch, trying to prove the army, that i'm uncapable of serving my country their way. To tell the truth, it's a pain in the arse in Russia....
Not only in Russia I suppose. I was unsuccessful in my attempt to prove my disability :D . But after studies, it appeared that all graduates were shifted to the reserve. So, it was really luck. I hope you will trick them somehow :D .
Quote:
If a Russian version of Pathologic will do for you, i can mail it to you for free - i have a spare copy. It's just that most Polish people I've met so far know Russian surprisingly well for some unknown reason.
If it is not a problem for you, I would really appreciate it. I had three years of Russian in secondary school, so I think I would manage it. It would be great opportunity to taste a game, before I put my hands on Polish and English versions.
I feel a little bit confused :D , that you are offering it for free, so I just want to ask if it is really not a problem for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2005, 01:02 

Quote:
... who actually wrote Stalker, though the book is called "An Offroad Picnic" and is about different characters, than in the movie.
I think it's called "Roadside Picnic" over here... it's a book i need to read... eventually! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2005, 12:31 

I guess you are right (I mean, I am sure you are right - it is you, who lives in England :D ). Polish title is: "Piknik na skraju drogi" and only in this case I can guarantee its propriety :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2005, 00:27 

Quote:
I guess you are right (I mean, I am sure you are right - it is you, who lives in England :D ). Polish title is: "Piknik na skraju drogi" and only in this case I can guarantee its propriety :D .
I tried putting "Piknik na skraju drogi" through a translator:

Picnic on fringe expensive (dear) < way >

:?
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2005, 17:58 
Старый Добрый Эль

Phew, finally found a spare minute to answer all the questions adressed to me...
Quote:
cool, tell me more!
Well, apart from moderationg the forum and helping with some other issues for Ice-Pick Lodge, I'm also a standalone gamedeveloper - the project lead, actually, though, it's kind of unpaid yet. ^_^ The "Godsend" project is (at least I hope so) a so called "profound game" - the key features of the project are:
- A sophisticated storyline you are guaranteed to have never seen before. I've spent hell a lot of time on it, so it would be at the level of general classical literature, mainly compared to Dostoevsky - character images change as the story advances; the plot contains a basic idea, meant to affect the player somehow, like give some food for the thought; there are also secondary ideas, which are less developed, than the main, because of time matters, but yet are just as important; the plot is not boring, like some classical books :), and quite well fits the needs and demands of a computer game plot.
- The second cool feature is closely connected to the first - the dynamic change of the character's attitude is greatly influenced by the players actions. Dependant on what the player usually does, the characters will act on their own in a so called critical situation. (Basically, it's a really long script video, which leads the plot and is based absolutly on how the player led his life until now).
- An innovative antiutopia atmosphere connected to post nuke.

I'd write more, if you ask what exactly interests you.
Quote:
I think it's called "Roadside Picnic" over here... it's a book i need to read... eventually!
Oh, it's a must read book. Though it may seem kind of plain at first, it gets a lot beteer further on. heh, just now imagined an offroad 4x4 picnic on a monster truck... :)))
Quote:
I've never heard of Danelia, but I will try to get in touch with one of his films.
Good luck! Try to start with "Kin-Dza-Dza", though, it's humor is quite national and is a bit hard to understand for a non-Russian person. Anyway, I suggest you give it a try.
Quote:
Not only in Russia I suppose. I was unsuccessful in my attempt to prove my disability . But after studies, it appeared that all graduates were shifted to the reserve. So, it was really luck. I hope you will trick them somehow .
I did quite well. Partly, because there was television at the local military place (how's it called? Dunno. ), the process turned into a circus performance. Imagine a long corridor with teenagers sitting and standing at the sides, waiting for their fate to be announced. A sergeant or something then comes in and says - "When you enter the commision room, say loud and clear 'Mr. General, Sir, enrollant whats-your-name has arrived!'" So, i'm entering the room and starting to say this stupid phrase, then noticing a camera in front of me. :) What's after that is intranslatable. :)
Quote:
If it is not a problem for you, I would really appreciate it. I had three years of Russian in secondary school, so I think I would manage it. It would be great opportunity to taste a game, before I put my hands on Polish and English versions.
I feel a little bit confused , that you are offering it for free, so I just want to ask if it is really not a problem for you?
It's no problem, as I've said, since I have a spare copy. (Sorry, ShadowMoses, I don't have one in English. If i had one, I'd mail it to you too, especcially for your help with you know what.) Please, send me your postal adress via private message.

Looks like that's all. Sry, if i skipped something.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2005, 00:32 

Quote:

---Godsend snip---

Wow, sounds really interesting, have you played Planescape Torment?
Quote:
I'd write more, if you ask what exactly interests you.
- How would you describe the genre? and what perspective is it (3rd/1st/2d/3d) ?

- How far along are you with it?
- what kind of graphical quality are you aiming for? or do you already have screenshots?! (hint, hint, nudge, nudge ;) )

Quote:
(Sorry, ShadowMoses, I don't have one in English. If i had one, I'd mail it to you too, especcially for your help with you know what.)
hehe, no problem, i'm sure i can wait... patience is a virtue or so i hear! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2005, 14:43 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
Wow, sounds really interesting, have you played Planescape Torment?
- How would you describe the genre? and what perspective is it (3rd/1st/2d/3d) ?
Sure did, but the influence of Planscape is minimal compared to Fallout 1/2, also made by Black Isle. That's why the game will be using an ehchanced isometric camera with the ability to rotate around th Z axis, zoom, etc... We are planning to make the game in full 3D, but the ending results depends on the people I will find for my team - we only have 6 persons right now and only 3 of them are actually working somewhat close to good. ^_^
Quote:
- How far along are you with it?
Preproduction - the writing of concept and design documents, programming a basic technical demo. We haven't got further than that yet. :(
Quote:
- what kind of graphical quality are you aiming for? or do you already have screenshots?! (hint, hint, nudge, nudge )
Well, I'm able to produce really great Phong lighting with bumps, shaders and etc. cool features, but we are really short on content creators - we have only 1 modeller and 1 texturer, not mentioning, that cocept art is drawn by my friends unrelated to the project. :( Sad, huh? But i think, things will go better after I graduate from the University and will put all my force into it.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2005, 22:22 

Quote:
I tried putting "Piknik na skraju drogi" through a translator:

Picnic on fringe expensive (dear) < way >
:D :D In Polish "drogi" has at least two meanings: an adjective: "expensive" or "dear" (but not the animal :D ) and the "way" (actually it is the second case of declination from "droga" which is the exact translation of "way" in Polish). "Fringe" is the correct translation of "skraju" (declination of "skraj"), but it is not the common translation, I suppose. In general "fringe of the road" means the same as "roadside" (I suppose), but the second translation is more common and correct. But, I guess this is the biggest drawback of computer translators :D :D
Quote:
I'm also a standalone gamedeveloper - the project lead, actually, though, it's kind of unpaid yet. ^_^ The "Godsend" project is ...
That sounds really interesting. Hope you will do fine with the further work. I will certainly look forward to this one. When you start some kind of homepage of this project give us a hint. I am really happy that you are putting stress on the storyline, because it is difficult to find the adequate game nowadays.
It is nice that you are refering to Fallout postapocaliptic climat. It is a kind of mistery that since the release of F2 there has been no game that could deepen the subject a little bit more. Actually both Fallouts and P:T are my favourite games ever (plus all variations of Sensible World of Soccer :D, I can't stop playing this game :D ).
At this point I would like to ask you, how you are going to balance the game. I mean if it will be more action (fighting and so on) oriented or the pressure will be put on "peaceful way of resolving the problems :) ". And the other thing: Are you planning to release it as a fully commercial product or another way? Well, I guess, if you want to release the game as a commercial product, you will at least have to observe the current demand of the market. And this leads to my other question: Do you think you will have to reach some kind of compromise and follow the market trends (at least in some extend), or you will try to introduce something completely unique, without sacrifying your original concept?
It might sound a little bit bizarre :D , but I started to think about it while observing the Polish game market (which is practically dead by the way :D ). Few games which were developed during last few years did not bring anything new and were rated poorly by magazines and by fans because (among other flaws) they were repetitive (except brainless Painkiller, which certainly was repetetive but suprisingly took high scores :D ).
We have some interesting Polish projects (like post-nuke Bourgeoise or Trinity), but those are half professional procject and it is unknown whether they will ever be released.
I really hope that you will finish "Godsend". Such small projects are always very interesting. Just like Pathologic, which I haven't played yet but I am already sure that it is worth trying (actually it is a must :D ).
Quote:
Try to start with "Kin-Dza-Dza", though, it's humor is quite national and is a bit hard to understand for a non-Russian person. Anyway, I suggest you give it a try.
Hehehe. I spent one year with Russian guy in Prague sharing the flat, and I simply couldn't have tasted Russian kind of humor :D . As well as Russian swearing :D (which is very similar to Polish, by the way :D ).
Quote:
"Mr. General, Sir, enrollant whats-your-name has arrived!'" So, i'm entering the room and starting to say this stupid phrase, then noticing a camera in front of me. What's after that is intranslatable.
Hehehe. The phrase is just beautiful :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: "Mr. General, Sir" hehehe :lol: :lol:

Quote:
"I don't have one in English. If i had one, I'd mail it to you too, especcially for your help with you know what.) Please, send me your postal adress via private message.
Tanks again!. It is possible that I will be in England during Christmas, so I will definitely purchase the English copy too. It will be very interesting to play it for the second time.
I will send you my address via private.

Mikaelis

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2005, 23:27 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
That sounds really interesting. Hope you will do fine with the further work. I will certainly look forward to this one. When you start some kind of homepage of this project give us a hint.
In fact, there already is a homepage of our project, but beware - it's not up to date at all and has rather poor contents - I still haven't found any modellers or texturers. :( http://www.thelxr.h15.ru/ - plus, I'm not sure, whether it works from foreign IPs, cause it's on a free hosting. But if it works, check out the music theme and logo video in one of the sections.
Quote:
I am really happy that you are putting stress on the storyline, because it is difficult to find the adequate game nowadays.
It is nice that you are refering to Fallout postapocaliptic climat. It is a kind of mistery that since the release of F2 there has been no game that could deepen the subject a little bit more. Actually both Fallouts and P:T are my favourite games ever (plus all variations of Sensible World of Soccer , I can't stop playing this game ).
Hm. Than I think you might be interested in the original versions of Fallouts. You can download them at my other website project - http://portal.kod095.ru/games.htm
Quote:
At this point I would like to ask you, how you are going to balance the game. I mean if it will be more action (fighting and so on) oriented or the pressure will be put on "peaceful way of resolving the problems ". And the other thing: Are you planning to release it as a fully commercial product or another way?
Good thing, you reminded me about balance. I forgot to mention, that in "Godsend" you will be able to solve ANY somewhat important quest via at least 2 ways - resorting to violence, and not. ^^
Quote:
Well, I guess, if you want to release the game as a commercial product, you will at least have to observe the current demand of the market. And this leads to my other question: Do you think you will have to reach some kind of compromise and follow the market trends (at least in some extend), or you will try to introduce something completely unique, without sacrifying your original concept?
I will try to introduce my completly unique project from the side, that follows the market demands. :lol: Actually, I'll try to balance out the 3 most important parts of any game - the storyline, the gameplay and the way it will look and sound in the end. I have no problems with the storyline - It's going to be quite impressive. (I'll tell more about it a bit later.) The gameplay (aka quest + combat + stat system) is ready in concept, but still has to be balanced out, because I don't want to put the main stress on the fights and yet I wouldn't like it, if they were boring. I'm thinking of something like the scripted fights in one of my favourite games (a Polish one, BTW) - "Odium" or "Gorky-17", or whatever - I dunno the name in the original. :)
Quote:
I really hope that you will finish "Godsend". Such small projects are always very interesting. Just like Pathologic, which I haven't played yet but I am already sure that it is worth trying (actually it is a must ).
Thanks. The actual fact, that on the official Pathologic forum my project is discussed with more interest is quite a good criteria of my future success! (Eh, Ahako and NorD are going to kill me for this. :) )

P.S. - It hurts to say, but I don't think the game will be out soon. I still have to study at the U. and don't have nether sufficient time, nor enough teammembers... :( But I'm not giving up on it. :)

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2005, 14:23 

Quote:
:D :D In Polish "drogi" has at least two meanings: an adjective: "expensive" or "dear" (but not the animal :D ) and the "way" (actually it is the second case of declination from "droga" which is the exact translation of "way" in Polish). "Fringe" is the correct translation of "skraju" (declination of "skraj"), but it is not the common translation, I suppose. In general "fringe of the road" means the same as "roadside" (I suppose), but the second translation is more common and correct. But, I guess this is the biggest drawback of computer translators :D :D
:D all i can say is i'm glad most people learn english, i'm absolutely dreadfull with other languages!

Quote:
... Well, I guess, if you want to release the game as a commercial product, you will at least have to observe the current demand of the market. And this leads to my other question: Do you think you will have to reach some kind of compromise and follow the market trends (at least in some extend), or you will try to introduce something completely unique, without sacrifying your original concept?
Arrg!! don't look at the current demand of the market! you'll end up making a really crappy game! :P especially if you look at the RPG market which is swamped with mindless and boring Action rpg's !
I say, be inspired by yourself, make the game your way and let the market come to you! ;)

@mikaelis: is "The Witcher" Polish ?
Quote:
In fact, there already is a homepage of our project, but beware - it's not up to date at all and has rather poor contents - I still haven't found any modellers or texturers. :( http://www.thelxr.h15.ru/ - plus, I'm not sure, whether it works from foreign IPs, cause it's on a free hosting. But if it works, check out the music theme and logo video in one of the sections.
The site works for me, i just can't read it ;)

Your game sounds very interesting, i'm glad it sounds like a "true" rpg!
What will combat be like? TB, RT or RTwP ?

I would love to help out with models/textures etc. but i don't know how much time i would be able to dedicate to it as Ashes takes up nearly all of my time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2005, 00:31 

Quote:
In fact, there already is a homepage of our project
I also can view the site, but I had some problems witch watching and listenieng to the material. I think it is a matter of proper codecs. I will try to play with them as soon as I have some time.
Quote:
Hm. Than I think you might be interested in the original versions of Fallouts. You can download them at my other website project .
I palyed the original version. It is really difficult to imagine, how popular in Poland this serie is (when you take into account little Polish market of course :D ). They realesed at least two differen Polish versions and the original one officially. You can probably see it at NMA site, where they are informing of Polish postapocaliptic projects, mods and so on. I bought the English version a couple of years ago.
Quote:
Good thing, you reminded me about balance. I forgot to mention, that in "Godsend" you will be able to solve ANY somewhat important quest via at least 2 ways - resorting to violence, and not..
That is beautiful. I consider, that all decent cRPG's should have such freedom of choice.
Quote:
I will try to introduce my completly unique project from the side, that follows the market demands. :lol: .
Hehehe. If you were the PR of some kind of XXX milion cRPG project, I would take it as a traditional water spilling :D (This is purely Polish phrase I suppose, and there is no such a phrase in English, I guess. Just to be understood: It means saying everything without paying atention to the meaning of what one is talking about). But fortunately, it is not an XXX milion project, so I am truely confident in what you are saying :D .
Quote:
I'm thinking of something like the scripted fights in one of my favourite games (a Polish one, BTW) - "Odium" or "Gorky-17", or whatever - I dunno the name in the original. :).
Yes. In my opinion the greatest Polish game ever created. Pitty it didn't have much impact around the world. It had some flaws, but overall it was a great game. As far as I know, it was realesed under the "Odium" title in the West. In Poland and I guess in Russia it was "Gorky 17". Intrestingly, it is the predecesor of "Gorky Zero" and Goky 02 - Aurora Watching" which was not so good unfortunately (completely different gameplay and feeling - I didn't play them, I just read some review, and they did not appeal to me mainly because of the gameplay and lost of climate).
Quote:
P.S. - It hurts to say, but I don't think the game will be out soon. I still have to study at the U. and don't have nether sufficient time, nor enough teammembers... :( But I'm not giving up on it. :)
I didn't expect that you finish it by the end of 2005 :D . I know that it is not a piece of cake, and I really wish you well.
Quote:
all i can say is i'm glad most people learn english, i'm absolutely dreadfull with other languages!.
Try Russian :D . You will have to learn cyrylica (cyrylic I think in English) :D I am recollecting it right now from LxR's site :D
Quote:
Arrg!! don't look at the current demand of the market! you'll end up making a really crappy game! especially if you look at the RPG market which is swamped with mindless and boring Action rpg's !.

I was writing it in negative meaning :D . I 100% agree with you. But we must take into account that the whole world does not consist of LxR, ShadowMoses and mikaelis :D . I hope it will be just perfect mixture, which will satisfy us all and be able to conquer the market (similar to LxR statement above :D )
Quote:
is "The Witcher" Polish ? .
Yes, this is a Polish game, being produced by completely new studio (with quite big budget I suppose - they have some agreement with Bioware). It is something that can raise the Polish game industry to a new level. It looks like it will be something similar to Gothic, with strong stress on RPG features. Till that point I am sceptical, but who knows (remember XXX milion PR :D ).
Quote:
I would love to help out with models/textures etc. .
I also. But unfortunately I am just a chemist, and I hardly distinguish between 3DMAX, Photoshop and programming :D :D :D . But if you need some other help, feel free to ask.

mikaelis

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2005, 01:53 

Quote:
But we must take into account that the whole world does not consist of LxR, ShadowMoses and mikaelis :D

:D but this thread does! ;)

Quote:
Yes, this is a Polish game, being produced by completely new studio (with quite big budget I suppose - they have some agreement with Bioware). It is something that can raise the Polish game industry to a new level. It looks like it will be something similar to Gothic, with strong stress on RPG features. Till that point I am sceptical, but who knows (remember XXX milion PR :D ).
yeah, i'm not too sure about it to be honest. It looks very good in some respects but i think it will be lacking in terms of dialogue, choice/consequence and the scope of actually roleplaying. Plus the "RPG Redefined" statement instantly makes me wary! ;)

of course i hope they prove me wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2005, 10:05 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
I would love to help out with models/textures etc. but i don't know how much time i would be able to dedicate to it as Ashes takes up nearly all of my time.
Quote:
I also. But unfortunately I am just a chemist, and I hardly distinguish between 3DMAX, Photoshop and programming . But if you need some other help, feel free to ask.
Thank for offering your help, but I'm afraid I'll have to refuse it. Mainly, because neither of you will be able to work on the game, when we find a publisher - I'll end up with the original number of content creators. :) Thank you anyway.
Quote:
@mikaelis: is "The Witcher" Polish ?
Hm, sounds really familiar. It wouldn't happen to be ВЕДЬМАК (ved'mak)?
Quote:
Your game sounds very interesting, i'm glad it sounds like a "true" rpg!
What will combat be like? TB, RT or RTwP ?
Turn based combat and everything else in realtime - I just love turn based RPGs, of course, when they are well balanced. There was this horrible game - "Paradise Cracked" - well, it was cool in some aspects, but the combat was horrible. I remember the press saying the following: "...unbalanced is when Catrine, a normal policewoman, easily outspeeds any car in a sitting position." ^_^

BTW, I checked out your ASHES projext and it seems really cool to me - the texts on the screenshots are quite intriguing. Going to check out the rest of the site as soon as I have time. also, a question - how did you load 3D models into the engine? Did you write a 3D-MAX plugin, or used a loader for a well known format.
Quote:
In Poland and I guess in Russia it was "Gorky 17". Intrestingly, it is the predecesor of "Gorky Zero" and Goky 02 - Aurora Watching" which was not so good unfortunately (completely different gameplay and feeling - I didn't play them, I just read some review, and they did not appeal to me mainly because of the gameplay and lost of climate).
I played "Gorky - Zero" and actually liked it (I like stealth combat games), but I must agree, I expected the good old turn based Gorky.
Quote:
Try Russian . You will have to learn cyrylica (cyrylic I think in English) I am recollecting it right now from LxR's site
Or try Jappanese. I've already decided to study it during my free time and in the next year apply to take special courses. It's just that learning a language completly different from other Europian and American language is a really great experience. Plus, I can now watch anime in the original. ^_^

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2005, 20:18 

Quote:
BTW, I checked out your ASHES projext and it seems really cool to me - the texts on the screenshots are quite intriguing. Going to check out the rest of the site as soon as I have time. also, a question - how did you load 3D models into the engine? Did you write a 3D-MAX plugin, or used a loader for a well known format.
Thanks, we should have a tech demo sometime soon...i've been saying this to people for a long time! but it really should be ready within a month :) . We should also have some new screenshots soon, after the next build and maybe a small gameplay video. Of course the tech demo will be mising many features... but it's meant just to give you a feel for it more than anything else.

As for loading in 3D models, we have an importer that converts .ASE to the engine format plus a few other usefull things we need it to do.

And i agree, TB combat is great! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2006, 18:28 

21 Aug 2006, 22:37

Hello, i'm from the UK, aged 20. You may have seen me in the tech folder, sorting some problems with my dual-core machine and Pathologic.

My interests are quite varied, i've played guitar for a couple of years, mostly metal and games music.

I listen to a lot of things musically, the above mentioned metal (Metallica, Nightwish, Dragonforce, Rammstein, Pantera, Within Temptation, that sort of thing) as well as anything else as long as it's good.

My reading habits include Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion series, Koji Suzuki's Ring series, Alan Moore (V for Vendetta), J O'Barr (The Crow), as well as Edgar Allan Poe, and i'm starting to get into the Preacher series.

My film tastes are quite varied, particular favourites being Fight Club, American Beauty, A Tale of Two Sisters, Ring, The Grudge, as well as plenty of anime.

I have also been fencing for a year, which is fun.

So that's me, hello!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2006, 19:55 
Старый Добрый Эль

Welcome aboard! ^__^

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2006, 20:52 

29 Aug 2006, 19:27

Hello, I live in Plymouth, in a County called Devon in South-West England, i'm male 19 years old, working in Friary Mill Bakery making Pasties and Confectionaries etc...

Me and my 2 other friends have formed a Band here aswell, I play Lead Guitar, we have a bassist and drummer, me and the bassist do vocals, we are called "Stonerock" and we play Rock Music, Progressive, Heavy and Mellow sort of stuff, also we do a bit of Country on the side....

Also i work alot on 3d Modelling and Design, some of my work can be found here http://www.planetmaim.com/files.php?sec ... s&offset=0 Mainly for an old game Called Carmageddon 2. Just a hobby really i don't get paid for it. But i enjoy it either way.

I guess that sort of sums me up...except for, I hate Football, (with vengeance) Television & Popular/rave/rap music.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable