[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • I belive we are all people that like good stories
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:02
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 15:29 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

And as such:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/New ... ourney/_/1

This is must play. :D

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 22:27 

07 Mar 2009, 12:11

Longest Journey? A nice quest. Remember playing it about three years ago. I was keen on quests at the time. The sequel (Dreamfall?) is much worse.

I personally think B. Sokal's pieces of amusement a lot better, therefore I would describe The Longest Journey as a "should play". :)

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 22:33 

25 Feb 2007, 00:40

2 Throdax

Try Sublustrum aka Outcry, you should like it as a fan of ICE-PICK like stuff you are.

P.S. The last line of the review is golden:

"you can pick Outcry up, but good luck figuring out what to do with it"
No use to cry quarter!

If you do not describe your attack in a gloriously cinematic fashion, the difficulty increases one step. (c)

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2009, 10:24 
In Turgor!

Quote:
Longest Journey? A nice quest. Remember playing it about three years ago. I was keen on quests at the time. The sequel (Dreamfall?) is much worse.

I personally think B. Sokal's pieces of amusement a lot better, therefore I would describe The Longest Journey as a "should play". :)
Oh come one, TLJ is up there with the best Adventure games :) (the same cannot be said about Dreamfall)

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 10:56 

18 Feb 2009, 13:51

I'm a massive adventure game fan but I could never bring myself to finish TLJ. I found the puzzles to be either incongruous (the rubber ducky) or staggeringly linear (an example, the music vendor that you cannot interact with in anyway until you are explicitly told to do so by a character). Now all that could be forgiven if the the story and writing where up to par but it totally failed to engage me. The writing was often needlessly verbose and there was some ridiculous swearing and unconvincing character shifts, although I did find the voice-acting to be solid-to-excellent. The underlying story was alright but a little derivative and wasn't enough to keep me going.

It's not a terrible game, far from it, but I could never fathom it's reputation. It's not even remotely close to the likes of Grim Fandango, Day Of The Tentacle et al and to be honest I think it's just that adventure gamers are a notoriously forgiving bunch. I frequent many adventure game forums, like AGS, and gushing praise is given out to almost everything. There are plenty of good adventure games still being made, e.g Nelly Cootalot and Time Gentlemen, Please!, and TLJ is certainly better than Telltale's output and the likes of Still Life but I don't think it's a classic.

Of course I realise many people feel differently and I might be willing to give it another shot. I only got up to the part on the island where you solve, the actually rather good, totem/communication puzzle when I stopped, so to anyone who has completed it; does it pick up from there?

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 16:09 

20 Jan 2007, 19:47

Unfortunately, I'm with Angel Dust. I got pretty far in the game (at least 3/4 of the way), but I wasn't enjoying it. I really didn't like the lead character, or the story. So I gave up. In retrospect, I probably should've carried on and finished it, though I doubt my opinion would've changed much. I do like adventure games but this one didn't do it for me. The same goes for Broken Sword 1 & 2, which are also considered classics.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 16:24 
In Turgor!

Bunch of heretics, that is what you all are :P

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 16:27 

I believe you're right :)

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 17:00 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Em... Burn me first then, I haven't gotten past the first couple of screens. :)

But I love Syberia, though. And other good quests.

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 17:07 
In Turgor!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Next I'll discover you all abhor PS:T

:twisted:

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 18:02 

15 Jan 2009, 05:16

Ah PS:T, I still get this weird warm feeling every time I think about that game. It was just incredible. I played it once, got a crappy ending, played again with a guide and got the complete yet equally depressing ending. They don't make game stories like that anymore.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 18:26 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Quote:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Next I'll discover you all abhor PS:T

:twisted:
Nah, I love PS:T :)

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 06:15 

18 Feb 2009, 13:51

Me too. I'm currently halfway through another play through of it and my first with the high-resolution mod, still a great game and now it looks better than ever too!

I remember when I bought it. It had just arrived at my local PC game store and I hadn't heard of it but bought it sight unseen since I saw that Black Isle where involved. I had no idea what was in store for me!

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 16:49 

I've played all of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games, plus their expansions. But I haven't played PS:T yet. A gaping hole in my gaming life - I'll fix that at some point :wink:

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 16:54 
In Turgor!

Quote:
I've played all of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games, plus their expansions. But I haven't played PS:T yet. A gaping hole in my gaming life - I'll fix that at some point :wink:
That is not a gaping hole, that is a bloody canyon in your gaming life. :(

We need to fix that :D

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 17:27 

25 Feb 2007, 00:40

bloody canyon = lol.

Haven't played PS:T yet? Feel the void in your soul.
No use to cry quarter!

If you do not describe your attack in a gloriously cinematic fashion, the difficulty increases one step. (c)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 21:51 
In Turgor!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09 ... e-torment/

I do own the original boxed version though :D

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable