[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Suggestions on other titles to play? - Page 3
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:00
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 16:39 

09 Aug 2011, 11:29

So after a long time some new game recommendations

Passage A very important game in my opinion by independent Game Designer Jason Rohrer; it started the whole games art debate or brought it really to live at least.

The Stanley Parable A Half-Life 2 mod that is about narrative and video games and about a lot of other things, it gained alot of attention on moddb, it really is something special it really deserves the attention.

Those are the two that I recommend for now, I will give more recommendations soon!
Thanks

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 20:24 

15 Jan 2012, 18:31

I've noticed a few posts here recommending Lovecraftian games. If you have access to a system that can play Gamecube games, "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem" is the ne plus ultra of Lovecraftian videogames. It has extremely original gameplay and narrative, and it really packs a wallop in its atmosphere and emotional impact. It has a minor flaw in that its combat is rather uninteresting (it's not bad or broken, just a bit shallow), but I'm guessing that people who count themselves fans of "Pathologic" won't find that to be a sticking point. It oozes Lovecraft from every pore.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 20:29 

09 Aug 2011, 11:29

So I've got a few other recommendations for you:

Noby Noby Boy

This one is quite difficult to explain, a lot of people don't really want to call it a game, because there are no goals, it's more like a virtual playground. This presumably sounds like a bad game, but what I found very interesting about it is just how different it is, you see the creator Keita Takahashi had the feeling that children these days don play anymore, they just consume, so he made of which he knew it wouldn't sell, he just wanted to make something "innocent" and playful, if you know what I mean.

Katamari

Made by the same person who created Noby Noby Boy, this is a classic, it's really imaginitive and refreshingly different (just like Noby Noby Boy). It's just really something everyone has to try.

VVVVVV

It's retro style 2D indie platformer, but instead of jumping you change your own gravity, this might sound just like a small twist, but it's really interesting, the designer (Terry Cavanagh) really explored the possibilities of this mechanic. It also has a very cool soundtrack, and.... well just play it, alright? It's good.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2012, 00:19 

05 Sep 2012, 23:37

I would recommend Amnesia: the Dark Descent, even though I'm pretty sure everyone's heard of it by now.

Another lesser known "survival horror" game that has a special place in my heart is Rule Of Rose, it was clearly rushed and the controls are horrible, but the atmosphere is really unique and the story is beautiful in a cruel and twisted kind of way.

As far as HL mods go, I am a sucker for Koumei Satou's work, that includes Peace Like Us (HL1), The Mistake of Pythagoras (HL2) and Sweet Half-Life (HL1) in which he was only map designer. His work is really strange and unconventional. I have yet to try his Portal 2 mod.

Adam Foster's work is also great, he even got a job at Valve.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2012, 01:50 

18 Oct 2012, 23:15

Anachronox

it was the last game made by ion storm(deus ex) before they were shut down.
i don't want to say too much about it, but it has some of the best characters i've seen in an rpg.
i will swear to this day that mal from firefly is a carbon copy of sly boots.

i'll also +1 Arcanum.

King's Bounty: Armored Princess is currently the best "wizard chess" game i've seen.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2012, 20:19 

19 Aug 2012, 04:21

I am looking forward to Miasmata. It's an open world survival game set on an island (or a group of small islands), where you must explore and do research on materials that you find in order to find a cure for an unknown disease you've contracted. Throughout the game, you're stalked by a big cat who, supposedly, is able to track you and behaves like a real predator.

A trailer on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDqH7B2hcbc

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2013, 04:40 

08 Oct 2013, 23:39

I have long scoured the internet for a list of games like these. This has been a very insightful thread.

I too would also like to make a suggestion of a game. Have any of you ever played Culpa Innata?

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2013, 23:40 

03 Oct 2009, 19:00

It's great to see that this thread is useful for others :)

Couple of titles that people may want to give a try if they've enjoyed Ice-Pick's previous work. Some are going to be well known, some not.

If you enjoyed the atmosphere and need to survive of Pathologic you may want to take a look at The Last of Us, How to Survive and Under the Garden. I Am Alive is also worth a look.

Like the surreal vibrancy and identifying soundtrack of Cargo! ? You may want to give Contrast a go. For a solid experience with a surreal and interesting atmosphere there is Alice Madness Returns.

For The Void fans there is always Planescape Torment and Mike Inel's "Which".

I haven't had enough time with Knock-knock yet to have comparably titles come to mind.

Unrelated to Ice-Pick but still for various reasons worth having a look at are Shadows of the Damned (A deliriously silly B-Movie in video game form) Hatsune Miku Project Diva F - a fun and vibrant rhythm game that is simply eager to be played. Aquanox 2 is something of an oddity. An underwater action/sim game that offers an interesting experience.

Plus there's no harm in showing mods some love. Any fans of Doom might be interested to know that "Brutal Doom" V19 has been released and is only getting more and more ridiculous.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable