[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Glossary - Глоссарий - Page 3
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:27
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2007, 18:04 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Quote:
No, I'm not sure. :) I like the suggestions you've made upon my suggestions. I think Adherents could still work, since no-one's come up with a better suggestion, and perhaps even Devotress, too?
Personally, I am still not sure, what exactly Devotress means - it's not in the dictionary, so I can't shake off the feeling it's a made up word. Can't make up my mind about this one...
Quote:
It's a minor point, but I'd say the Blockie=Lockie translation is necessary, since "Blockie" sounds too derogatory (a "blockhead" is slang for a stupid person).
OK, we'll actually decide on a name, when we encounter it, as I don't even rememeber, who this guy is. )
Quote:
Thank you so much for the map! That's perfect. (And I'm sure I'm not the only one who was confused!)
Welcome! I think we'll include this map into the translation update. Give a big warm thanks to Halfgild Wynac for this. ))
Quote:
The place names are difficult, because they seem to be very specifically chosen for reasons that I don't fully understand. That in mind, here are the alterations I'd suggest for the sake of coherency:
Leafs = "Leaffall" (not a real word, just a combination of "leaf" and "fall") or "Leaf Quarter"
Muzzle = "Snout"
Hearts = Heart
Rib = "Ribs" or "Ribcage"
Veins = "Arteries" (or is there a reason for this being almost identical to the river "Vein"?)
"Leaffall", "Heart", "Ribs", "Veins" - I think these are Ok. As for Snout - i'm not sure. ) The only think that I associate it with is pigs. ))))))))
Quote:
Do you know the meaning of "Earth" and "Knots"? What are those names supposed to represent?
Earth, I think, should be left untouched - it's the part of the town which is closer to nature, quite an abstract word, meaning not only a district, but a lifestyle. As for knots - I think they were named so for no apparent reason.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2007, 19:31 

08 Jun 2007, 02:51

My internet was down for a couple of days, but here I am. Lot of text that we got lately, hard to take it in. My comments concerning the discussion in this thread are as follows:

Ospina: Veruca, sounds good.
Spichka: Chandler, works
Disinfectionists: Purifiers, not sure that I like us giving something another layer of interpretation, but at the same time we have the power to do so, and we can always say that it wasn't meant to be anything else than just "purifiers".

Muzzle = "Snout, I get the same association with pigs here. Don't think that's a good thing though. :P

As for changing names to make them sound more english, again, I believe that it's more challenging and fun to learn the russian culture, prefixes and such, just as in animes. People do not give up that easy, and we can have a readme attached that explains some of the stuff, if necessary at all.

I already know your thoughts about this Tsolaelia, but I have a question: do you think it's good to make names more accessible always, or are you partly afraid that people might take our effort as another not up to par-translation if the names are too strange?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 08:50 

29 Aug 2004, 16:52

It seems I remember where "Leafs" come from. It means leafs of a door or a window.
It is up to you to decide whether you use this knowledge or not. I see there is no special good word for this thing, so a bit of creativity won't hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 14:29 

01 Jul 2005, 23:40

So, where is the final version of the Glossary? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 14:48 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
So, where is the final version of the Glossary? :)
Sorry-sorry-sorry! I promise I'll get to it!

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 19:21 
Quote:
It means leafs of a door or a window
Oh, good heavens, that's another meaning entirely! What about "Hinge", then?

Since this was mentioned in another thread: "Sanitary Army" sounds completely wrong. I'd suggest "Sanitation Army".
Quote:
I already know your thoughts about this Tsolaelia, but I have a question: do you think it's good to make names more accessible always, or are you partly afraid that people might take our effort as another not up to par-translation if the names are too strange?
I'm not decided either way on this one, to be honest. I think it's important that we find a balance, because I love the uniqueness of the game, but players will be discouraged if things seem too foreign.
Quote:
Snout, I get the same association with pigs here.
Oh dear! :lol: I can quite understand that, but I also think "muzzle" is a poor choice, because it more frequently refers to the device placed over the anatomical "muzzle", which prevents an animal (usually a dog) from biting. What about "beak"? Are birds preferable to pigs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 19:22 

02 Aug 2007, 14:33

Agh, sorry, that previous post was me! The forum keeps logging me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 19:34 

Sanitation army is a better choice.

Birds are perhaps more preferable because the executor has a beak. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 19:55 

Indeed! :) For the moment I'd offer "beak" as a serious suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 18:25 

17 Aug 2007, 09:34

Heteronymph, Ospine not Veruca. If you play, you must know: Ospine really name Hispae-Inoon. Other your words very good! :). You translate with grace and all words can be the best! :wink:
-----------------------------------------
http://lordmaster.3bb.ru/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 18:48 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
Heteronymph, Ospine not Veruca. If you play, you must know: Ospine really name Hispae-Inoon. Other your words very good! :). You translate with grace and all words can be the best! :wink:
Lukash, can I please ask you NOT to translate anything? Don't mean to offend you, but you don't seen to have enough experience in English... Sometimes I even doubt if I do.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 01:49 

Is there something we should know about this... Hispae-Inoon? Or lukash_lord for that matter? I thought you were banned. :wink:

Anyway, I'm having trouble knowing what names we finally settled on, and therefore my check-up on the diary logs is coming up short. LxR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 09:13 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
Is there something we should know about this... Hispae-Inoon? Or lukash_lord for that matter? I thought you were banned. :wink:

Anyway, I'm having trouble knowing what names we finally settled on, and therefore my check-up on the diary logs is coming up short. LxR?
Please don't use any of the corrections Lukash is trying to make - he's now unbanned, but still sucks in English. )) I'll get to it today, even if it costs me two hours of sleep... ))

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 03:22 

How's the final glossary coming along? :) No rush - I know you're busy - just wondering when we can hope to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 11:49 
Старый Добрый Эль

I keep forgetting about it all the time... I'll try to get to it today ))))))

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 15:29 

Hehe, sounds good. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 18:47 
Старый Добрый Эль

2Lukash_Lord's deleted post: my patience has come to an end, you are forever banned from this forum. Goodbye.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2007, 17:16 

27 Sep 2007, 18:32

Quote:
Quote:
No, I'm not sure. :) I like the suggestions you've made upon my suggestions. I think Adherents could still work, since no-one's come up with a better suggestion, and perhaps even Devotress, too?
Personally, I am still not sure, what exactly Devotress means - it's not in the dictionary, so I can't shake off the feeling it's a made up word. Can't make up my mind about this one...
How about simply using "Devotee"? Personally, "Devotress" simply sounds like a feminized version of that word to me, though I'm not sure if that is the intended meaning. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2007, 22:16 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
How about simply using "Devotee"? Personally, "Devotress" simply sounds like a feminized version of that word to me, though I'm not sure if that is the intended meaning.
Well, the nicknames are supposed to stress the gender of the character, since they'll be used in all the branches of the game. ))

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject: Argh :)
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 12:24 

20 Nov 2007, 10:27

Rule for me: When lecturing for 6 hours during the day and posting after midnight, make sure your response ends up under the right topic! Argh :)

I posted a long response under ITEMS that was really meant for here. I made some suggestions on things like names, such as The Physician for the Bachelor, keeping "Haruspex" with the more ocmmon spelling (although the Diviner and the Seer are nice seconds; a third would be the Oracle or the Blood Oracle, but again I am sure there is a preference for one-word nicknames), and suggesting for the Devotress / Imposter to become The Priestess or The High Priestess, evoking the Tarot symbology, as explained in that rather cleverly misplaced post.

I thank everyoen for working to translate this already great game into a much smoother experience for future gamers: I am already trying to "infect" my friends into playing it.

Lord, rule #2: No disease-based puns after midnight either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2008, 15:06 

FatherAzerun, I'm really impressed by your suggestions for the project. :)

I've been absent for ages (life got messy), but if the project gets in motion again, please someone (LxR, perhaps?) send me a private message so I get notified by email, and I'll swing by and help out. I really do want to see this game translated fluently. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2008, 15:54 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
FatherAzerun, I'm really impressed by your suggestions for the project. :)

I've been absent for ages (life got messy), but if the project gets in motion again, please someone (LxR, perhaps?) send me a private message so I get notified by email, and I'll swing by and help out. I really do want to see this game translated fluently. :)
Sure, I'll keep you up-to-date on the project status. :)

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 10:18 
Бессмысленный и беспощадный

21 May 2006, 19:45

Hey, everyone! Please, go to discuss the last problem words in this theme:
http://translate.pathologic-game.com/fo ... ic.php?t=2

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 12:31 

02 Jun 2009, 20:42

Quote:
About Immortelle I don't know, as I don't quite understand what you're meaning. What herb?
Immortelle is THIS HERB, it's latin name is Helichrysum, at English it's called also "Everlasting" and at Russian "Бессмертник".
And this is Mark's surname, so I actually also agree that it should be changed to "Immortelle" - more meaning and more style' and also description is fitting the person.

About poor old Bachelor - maybe if English speakers insist, we should try to avoid the confusion with "unmarried" status and give him extra degree? I guess "Magister" will be much more representative and also more specific. He will be happy also to earn it "for free", LOL

about how-do-you-call them guys wiv Molotov coctail, maybe they should be just "Firestarters"? as plai an simple as it is - also direct translation from russian and perfectly fits.

Mishka definitely = Teddy.

about "bloody one" - this is the way Oon refers to younger Burakh - he actually means "one that connected by blood" ore maybe "one that share same blood" - Burahk belongs to same tribe and even to same social niche as him. If somebody noticed, odongs use this nick alot when turn to each over.
and BTW when Oon uses "womb one" he means the same. so maybe it should be something like "bloodchild" instead? Sorry my English not so perfect, I cannot imagine something more fitting right now.

about places on map - their names so horrible (espetially muzzle and untranslated dubilshiki) they need apparent revew

I will ocassionally instal english versiom from Bgames and also rush through dialogs, I'm afraid they have been horribly eviscerated (LOL)

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 01:49 

06 Mar 2009, 05:05

Quote:
about how-do-you-call them guys wiv Molotov coctail, maybe they should be just "Firestarters"? as plai an simple as it is - also direct translation from russian and perfectly fits.
as a similar alternative, may i suggest "Incendiary"? this isnt an extremely commonly used english word these days, but probably mostly as we tend to have less acts of incendiarism :lol: it technically means the same as "firestarter," but it's the term which is used to refer to those who criminally set fires, generally in a riot/revolutionary situation. if the events of Pathologic actually happened and an english-speaking news show reported on it, they'd most likely refer to these fellows as incendiaries, or, alternately, as just arsonists.

actually, it would be a little bit more fitting than "arsonist" even - incendiary was more commonly used during the sort of timeframe of Pathologic, ie: roughly WWI'ish, and previous.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable