[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Translation - Items
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:11
 Post subject: Translation - Items
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2007, 00:30 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Item descriptions.

I'm not sure, whether this texts needs to be redone, can anyone look through it quickly?

The text is located here:
http://pathologic.thelxr.info/original/items.xls

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2007, 16:03 

02 Aug 2007, 14:33

Thank you for all your work with extracting texts, LxR - these do need some adjustments if we're aiming for a high-quality translation. :)

Do you know what "repellent" means in the context of these descriptions? Does it refer to protection against infection? Would the word "insulation" suffice?

What does "Sanitary Army" mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2007, 16:39 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
Do you know what "repellent" means in the context of these descriptions? Does it refer to protection against infection? Would the word "insulation" suffice?
Repellent in this context means protection against infection, so I guess, yes.
Quote:
What does "Sanitary Army" mean?
It was a special name for the Army - not sure if it's really necessary to add Sanitary. Let's just change it back to Army

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 19:23 

Under some of the meat descriptions, it says:
Quote:
one must keep in mind that this is meat of an animal from the steppes
Why is this important? More likely to be infected?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 19:31 

Quote:
LENS. Such lenses are used with the apparatus...
What apparatus? A microscope?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 19:32 

08 Jun 2007, 02:51

Never understood what it was, maybe because I didn't read the manual. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 19:37 

29 Aug 2004, 16:52

Lenses are used for improving Dankovsky's visor. Can't remember it's translation in English version, but it is thing used to see infected clouds. You may activate it by pressing V. More lenses result in an increased "detection" distance.

And one more thing: though tough to describe visor is pretty useless stuff:).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 19:52 

Ohh, thank you! That makes sense. :) What's an "infected cloud"? Microbes floating in the air?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 20:25 

err... OK, I call them infection clouds to be more exact (and correct!). Just walk along the road in the infected district in the game - you won't miss them. Clouds of infection look like bluish clouds apearring from under the ground. They slightly resemble a scull if you try to examine their appearance attentively.
There are two type of these blue clouds: some are static, the others fly around the district.
One more type is the "angelic" one that looks like a blurred brown (or, perhaps, bloody) cloaked figure. It doesn't resemble scull at all and behaves different (it flies towards you, then waits and attacks only if you move, otherwise it flies away). If I am not mistaken, bloody clouds don't appear til day 6 or 7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2007, 20:02 

And the visor is attached to what exactly? ^^

I remembered the angelic one as being more white, but perhaps that is just my memory of it (cannot check due to problems with computer), or the memory of how it looked with the visor on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 15:09 

Okay, so these clouds are sort of in-game entities - not something taken from reality.. right?

Anyone have any ideas about the significance of meat from steppe animals?

And another question - what/where is the "Stvorka" district? It's mentioned under the item description for a "heart", but I can't find reference to it anywhere else.

And what, exactly, is a "sliding knife stub"? :shock: Does that refer to damaging yourself with your own weapon?

"Coat of the Outcast" I can't make sense of at all! Could someone please re-translate the Russian for me?
Quote:
'ПЛАЩ ИСПОЛНИТЕЛЯ. Элемент театрального костюма. Теперь в таких плащах ходят "вестники смерти" - трупоносы, могильщики и наблюдатели, выполняющие грязную работу. Такой плащ привлекает внимание, но совершенно избавляет от желания общаться с его обладателем.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 19:23 
Бессмысленный и беспощадный

21 May 2006, 19:45

Quote:
Okay, so these clouds are sort of in-game entities - not something taken from reality.. right?
Right.
Quote:
Anyone have any ideas about the significance of meat from steppe animals?
There are rumors about the disease in the meat, but it's just rumors.
But rumors are significant in this town.
Quote:
And another question - what/where is the "Stvorka" district? It's mentioned under the item description for a "heart", but I can't find reference to it anywhere else.
It was called Leafs in early translation.
Quote:
"Coat of the Outcast" I can't make sense of at all! Could someone please re-translate the Russian for me?
Quote:
'ПЛАЩ ИСПОЛНИТЕЛЯ. Элемент театрального костюма. Теперь в таких плащах ходят "вестники смерти" - трупоносы, могильщики и наблюдатели, выполняющие грязную работу. Такой плащ привлекает внимание, но совершенно избавляет от желания общаться с его обладателем.
CLOAK of the EXECUTOR (is the Executor translated as Outcast??). An element of a theatrical suit. Now in such cloaks "heralds of death" - corpsebearers, grave-diggers and the observers are performing dirty work go. Such cloak draws attention, but absolutely relieves of desire to communicate with its owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 15:03 

Quote:
There are rumors about the disease in the meat, but it's just rumors.
But rumors are significant in this town.
Wonderful, thank you. :)
Quote:
It was called Leafs in early translation.
Ah, right! I'm not sure we've decided on a final name for "Leafs".. I actually wonder if "Stvorka" would be better. Hmm.
Quote:
CLOAK of the EXECUTOR (is the Executor translated as Outcast??). An element of a theatrical suit. Now in such cloaks "heralds of death" - corpsebearers, grave-diggers and the observers are performing dirty work go. Such cloak draws attention, but absolutely relieves of desire to communicate with its owner.
Thanks - this makes things a little clearer. :) However, I still don't understand what it means by "observers [who] are performing dirty work". What, exactly, is meant by the word "observer"? The previous translation said "volunteer", which doesn't make sense to me either..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 15:58 

An executor looks like this
http://www.frogster-interactive.de/uplo ... reen25.jpg

So his costume consists of a birdmask and a cloak. Usually people who volunteered to work in the infected town wear it. There are three "observers" in the town (Dankovsky, day 7) who ...er... well, observe and write reports of what's happening. They also wear this costume to remain unnoticed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 16:12 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
An executor looks like this
http://www.frogster-interactive.de/uplo ... reen25.jpg

So his costume consists of a birdmask and a cloak. Usually people who volunteered to work in the infected town wear it. There are three "observers" in the town (Dankovsky, day 7) who ...er... well, observe and write reports of what's happening. They also wear this costume to remain unnoticed.
which I always found hilarious - they want to remain unnoticed wearing a bird mask. )) Mayve, in the English version, we should change this to "remain anonymous"? THis sounds a lot better and doesn't change the meaning of anything much.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 17:56 

The observers wear it for their work to remain unnoticed (as they look exactly the same as tens of other people). Anyway I do not remember if this word ("unnoticed") was used in game's dialogues or not. Just used it in my post.

Btw,
Visir (with infection clouds visible)
http://www.igromania.ru/imArticles/10/2 ... _visir.jpg

Infection clouds
http://www.igromania.ru/imArticles/10/2 ... isease.jpg
(between the two of them you may notice the trace of the third cloud, it's of an "angelic" type)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 00:44 

I tried being a vegan in the game, but had to put my aspirations of a saint on the shelf pretty fast. Can't say I wanted to finance the slaughter house otherwise as well, strange things going on in there and whatnot. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 13:49 

Thanks so much Halfgild - you've been an enormous help! :) Forgive my ignorance, but I'm guessing you, like The LxR, are an employee of Ice-Pick Lodge? Your "Question & Answer" files are tremendously useful.

I think "executor" should be "executioner" (meaning "an official who inflicts capital punishment"). Right?

What are the "volunteers" volunteering for, exactly? What's this "dirty work" mentioned?

So, anyone know what a "sliding knife stub" is?

I'm up to item 44 out of 152 total items - yikes! It's fun work, though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 13:58 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
I think "executor" should be "executioner" (meaning "an official who inflicts capital punishment"). Right?
Yep. )
Quote:
So, anyone know what a "sliding knife stub" is?
I think it's a hadmade knife with a sliding blade, though, I'm not sure - I'll check.
Quote:
I'm up to item 44 out of 152 total items - yikes! It's fun work, though. :)
:) And we havent even gotten to the actual dialogues :D

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 14:01 
Старый Добрый Эль

UPD - It's a typo - I think it was supposed to mean, that the gloves protect hands from sliding knife stabs - I'm sure there's some other correct way to say "sliding knife stub" - do you have any ideas?

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 14:45 

Is this what is meant by a "sliding knife"? In Australia, we call that a "Stanley Knife", but in America I believe it's known as a "Box Knife" - I'd suggest we use the latter translation, since we seem to be using American spellings.

In this case, though, why do we even need to specify the type of weapon inflicting the damage? Couldn't we just say "cuts"? I.e. "These [gloves] provide the hands with protection from burns, cuts and infected surfaces."
Quote:
And we havent even gotten to the actual dialogues
I know! :shock: That's going to be the tricky part.. but I think it's important we get this right, too. :) I bet you're glad this is now a team effort rather than a solo project!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 15:01 
Старый Добрый Эль

Nope, you got me a little wrong, or I found the wrong description - were you reffering to this?
Quote:
SYNTHETIC GLOVES. Light synthetic gloves. The material is good repellent. Protect the hands from contacts with infected surfaces and protect a little bit from burns and from sliding knife stubs.
The last part means thet the knife is the usual commonly used one, but the blows (stabs) are delivered in a sliding motion. I don't know for sure, how this is called in English, so, I guess we'll have to wait until someone, who knows pops up.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 15:15 

Oh, okay! I assumed the adjective "sliding" was referring to the knife, rather than to the "stub"/stab. Confusing! :D

I think "slice" may be the correct word, but "cut" would also be adequate.

Another question - when "the river" is referred to (mainly in the fish descriptions), can I assume it means the Gorkhon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 15:19 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
Another question - when "the river" is referred to (mainly in the fish descriptions), can I assume it means the Gorkhon?
Yep, only one river in the city.
Quote:
I think "slice" may be the correct word, but "cut" would also be adequate.
So, the correct translation is "...and from knife cuts."?

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 15:45 

Quote:
Yep, only one river in the city.
Vein and Throat aren't counted as rivers..?
Quote:
So, the correct translation is "...and from knife cuts."?
Sure, that'd work - I think it's unnecessary even to specify that the cuts are from a knife, but we can include it if you'd prefer. :)

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable