[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Translation - Items - Page 2
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:39
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 15:52 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Quote:
Vein and Throat aren't counted as rivers..?
Well, they are rivers tributary to Gorkhon, but when just the word river is used it usually refers to the main one. ))

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 21:01 

29 Aug 2004, 16:52

Quote:
I think "executor" should be "executioner" (meaning "an official who inflicts capital punishment"). Right?
It should not. Generally, all people wearing this "birdmask" costume are called so. "Executor" refers to their work to "execute" orders and do "dirty work" (you called it so - to be more exact, a lot of work concerning danger due to the infection). Birdmasks guard doors of the infected adherents' houses and appear in some other important places where the story needs it.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 21:36 

08 Jun 2007, 02:51

There is a slight difference between executor and executioner. An executor can look however he wants to (even like a bird), but an executioner looks something like this: http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs11/300W/i ... jaybob.jpg

Of course, they differ in their role as well. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 12:11 

02 Aug 2007, 14:33

Hehehe, pyramid head. :) I love Silent Hill. This, though, is what I think of as an "executioner".
Quote:
"dirty work" (you called it so - to be more exact, a lot of work concerning danger due to the infection)
I was just quoting from the translation - thanks for clarifying what it means! :)

So there are no "executioners" in the game at all? I just got muddled, because the current translation for the "coat" says:
Quote:
COAT OF THE OUTCAST. These cloaks are worn by the Executioners (or envoys of Death)
and I assumed "envoy of Death" confirmed that they carried out killing of some sort. I guess it just means that they signify death - like the red crosses that were painted on doors during the Black Death. Yes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 13:55 

Another question!

In this context,
Quote:
Отчет наблюдателя, который работал в верхней части города. Здесь выкладки, расчеты, доносы, замечания и статистика.
Could someone give me a better translation for the word "доносы"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 14:01 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
Another question!

In this context,
Quote:
Отчет наблюдателя, который работал в верхней части города. Здесь выкладки, расчеты, доносы, замечания и статистика.
Could someone give me a better translation for the word "доносы"?
донос
denunciation (of); information (against)
slander, calumny
slander, denunciation, pettifoggery; barratry устар.; (law.)

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 14:10 

Okay - so the reports given by the "watchers" (I propose "watchmen" as a better translation) contain.. accusations of sorts? Regarding what? The origin of the plague?
Quote:
BEAST HEAD. Perhaps this used to be a toy horse. However, if one were to take a closer look, it would become evident that it has horns growing out of its head. Perhaps these are modified roots or some echo of the bull cult.
Modified roots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 14:18 
Старый Добрый Эль

Generally, they are reports containing research, calculations, notes, statistics and accusations of sorts - I think, that it might be occusations of someone being the source|cause of the plague.
Quote:
BEAST HEAD. Perhaps this used to be a toy horse. However, if one were to take a closer look, it would become evident that it has horns growing out of its head. Perhaps these are modified roots or some echo of the bull cult.
OMG, this one is a pearl of mistranslation ))))))) Mutated horns, maybe? )))

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 14:24 

Great - thanks again for your help, LxR. :)
Quote:
OMG, this one is a pearl of mistranslation ))))))) Mutated horns, maybe? )))
Haha! :) Maybe we can just leave that part out, and simply say that it might be an echo of the bull cult?

Edit: I just put the offending word (корни) through Lingvo - maybe it means that this animal is an evolutionary ancestor of the horse?

Here's another one I'm having difficulty understanding..
Quote:
PETR STAMATIN DRAFTS. Plans of the Polyhedron with the detailed description of the construction and yellowed with time pages from optics treatises, including pages in other languages. They look like a separate memorial to a human thought.
What are these "optics treatises" referred to, and what does the sentence in red mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 14:46 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
Haha! Maybe we can just leave that part out, and simply say that it might be an echo of the bull cult?
Edit: I just put the offending word (корни) through Lingvo - maybe it means that this animal is an evolutionary ancestor of the horse?
Here's another one I'm having difficulty understanding..
Hmm... I think it was just a to horse with horns, nothing more ))
Quote:
What are these "optics treatises" referred to, and what does the sentence in red mean?
I think I'll just redo the sentence - too much stuff wrong.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 14:51 

Sure - here's what I have so far, if it inspires you at all:
Quote:
PETER STAMATIN'S DRAFTS. This sheaf of documents includes the plans of the Polyhedron, details of the construction process and old, yellowed papers on optics treatises which have been translated into multiple languages. They look like a separate memorial to a human thought.
Seeing as "empty bottle" has the description for "hook" (I remember how much this confused me when I was playing the game.. :shock: ), would someone be able to re-translate this?
Quote:
'ПУСТАЯ БУТЫЛКА. Ее можно наполнить родниковой водой. Такая вода имеет спрос у горожан, особенно у пьяниц - она хорошо утоляет жажду. Считается, что вода из городских источников течет в питьевых фонтанах и колонках, а в водовозных бочках привозят воду из источника Сугаг Хадуг.
And here's another one I can't understand..
Quote:
'WAREHOUSE KEY. This key is hardly for any warehouse. Most probably it unlocks the warehouse which was watched by the poor owner of it.
Is this trying to say that the key is for a specific warehouse, and the key's previous owner was killed while guarding this warehouse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 17:25 
Бессмысленный и беспощадный

21 May 2006, 19:45

Quote:
ПУСТАЯ БУТЫЛКА. Ее можно наполнить родниковой водой. Такая вода имеет спрос у горожан, особенно у пьяниц - она хорошо утоляет жажду. Считается, что вода из городских источников течет в питьевых фонтанах и колонках, а в водовозных бочках привозят воду из источника Сугаг Хадуг.
Quote:
EMPTY BOTTLE. It is possible to fill it with spring water. This water has a demand in/at(?) townspeople, especially in/at(?) drunkards - it quenches thirst well. It is considered, that water from the urban sources flows in the drinkable fountains and the water-pumps, and there is water from the source Sugag Khadug in the wooden barrels.
My grammar is poor :oops: . Could you tell me which preposition should be used there? 'At' or 'In'? Or something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2007, 21:43 

08 Jun 2007, 02:51

Iirc, not only was the description of an empty bottle that of the hook, but also the picture displayed was wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2007, 07:32 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
Iirc, not only was the description of an empty bottle that of the hook, but also the picture displayed was wrong.
You sure? I think I'll have to fix the scripting then...

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 13:09 

Quote:
EMPTY BOTTLE. It is possible to fill it with spring water. This water has a demand in/at(?) townspeople, especially in/at(?) drunkards - it quenches thirst well. It is considered, that water from the urban sources flows in the drinkable fountains and the water-pumps, and there is water from the source Sugag Khadug in the wooden barrels.
Thanks! :) The sentence structure doesn't translate perfectly - at first glance, I'd say the closest translation would be "This water is in demand among the townspeople", but I'll probably have a fiddle with it. What does "It is considered, that water from the urban sources flows in the drinkable fountains and the water-pumps" mean? I don't understand the use of the word "considered".
Quote:
Not in my version! (Picture)

Last edited by Tsolaelia on 30 Sep 2007, 11:50, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 13:20 

Any ideas on the "warehouse key"?

The "herbal recipes" - are they recipes for twyrine, or for something else. If they are for twyrine, why does the description for "Bloody Twyre" say
Quote:
It is one of the required components for the known twyrine recipes
when it's not included in all the recipes?

And this one:
Quote:
'EXPLOSIVE MIXTURE. A bottle containing an explosive mixture. Good proof of the death of a fanatic arsonist. This group has already gained the name of Destroyers among the people.
Could someone explain the context of this to me? Why is this "proof" of a death? Was the "arsonist" part of the "Destroyers"? Did the "Destroyers" make this mixture?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 15:33 

Quote:
And here's another one I can't understand..
Quote:
'WAREHOUSE KEY. This key is hardly for any warehouse. Most probably it unlocks the warehouse which was watched by the poor owner of it.
Is this trying to say that the key is for a specific warehouse, and the key's previous owner was killed while guarding this warehouse?
Yes.
1. First sentence: "it is unlikely that you can open any warehouse you want with this key"
2. Second :"you killed guard to get this key. It opens the warehouse he guarded".

By the way, I don't remember it was available in the game's release version... Perhaps you can't get this item in Pathologic. At some stage there were guards at Gryph's warehouses, and you might get find the keys on their dead bodies. Though there was nothing inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 15:48 

Okay, thank you. :) I think for the moment I'll just fix up all the translations and let LxR figure out where they fit into the game.

Here's another unclear description:
Quote:
'BRAND <^>. Such brands are used by the steppe people to mark animals, but sometimes they are used to mark places, events or even living things. This brand is very rare.
How can a "brand" mark an event? And what is meant by "living things"? ("Animals" are living things, so there's something wrong here..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 16:01 

Quote:
The "herbal recipes" - are they recipes for twyrine, or for something else. If they are for twyrine, why does the description for "Bloody Twyre" say
Quote:
It is one of the required components for the known twyrine recipes
when it's not included in all the recipes?
Perhaps, it is not an exact translation. An earlier version said that bloody twyre was "one of the required components in known twyre brews", i.e. components not only for ten brews described in "herbal recipes", but for all possible brews. Perhaps one more confusing thing about this description is that originally there was less "strict" ajective instead of "required". Smth like "they always use it to make these brews".

"One of the often used components to make twyre brews" sounds more reasonable.

* It is not included in all but one of the ten recipes because when herb mixing system was made it turned out that use of bloody twyre resulted in less effective brews.
Quote:
And this one:
Quote:
'EXPLOSIVE MIXTURE. A bottle containing an explosive mixture. Good proof of the death of a fanatic arsonist. This group has already gained the name of Destroyers among the people.
Could someone explain the context of this to me? Why is this "proof" of a death? Was the "arsonist" part of the "Destroyers"? Did the "Destroyers" make this mixture?
Arsonists is the old translation for the guys who burn the city with Molotov coctails. They look like this:
http://www.frogster-interactive.de/uplo ... reen28.jpg

If you kill one you can take their bottle with explosive mixture. So it prooves that you killed one. Then you may barter with patrol guards and trade these bottles for food or ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 16:10 

Great, thank you! :)

Regarding the recipes: they have "proportion" specifications after the ingredients, but I don't understand what the proportions are referring to. For example..
Quote:
'HERBAL RECIPE #1. 'HERBAL RECIPE #1. One stem of black twyre, one stem of brown twyre, then add two stems of savjur. Proportion: 100 to 9.
Does that mean both twyre ingredients form the '100', and the savjur forms the '9'? Are these proportions even necessary to list when the required number of stems is given?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 16:16 
Старый Добрый Эль

The Proportion part refers to the immunity gain and health loss correspondently. So, in your example, 100:9 means, you'll get full immunity and lose 9 hp.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 16:20 

Oh! Okay, I'll reword that so it's more specific. :) Any idea on my other questions? (Hope I'm not being a pain! :lol: )

Oh, and how many hitpoints does the player have in total? 100?

Last edited by Tsolaelia on 23 Sep 2007, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 16:23 

Quote:
Okay, thank you. :) I think for the moment I'll just fix up all the translations and let LxR figure out where they fit into the game.

Here's another unclear description:
Quote:
'BRAND <^>. Such brands are used by the steppe people to mark animals, but sometimes they are used to mark places, events or even living things. This brand is very rare.
How can a "brand" mark an event? And what is meant by "living things"? ("Animals" are living things, so there's something wrong here..)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branding_iron

As for the meaning....
Smth like "Brands like these are used by steppe people to mark their cattle. But sometimes they make these signs that symbolize some place, event or even creatures".
The difference is as follows. Usually brand shows that animal belongs to a certain man (it is necessary if animals are moved in herds from one place to another, and then you need to identify them easily). But there are others brands, it is said, that are not used to burn a bull's ass, but have symbolic or ritual meaning

* in game this item is a figure made of several metal rods (straight or bent).

Last edited by Halfgild Wynac on 23 Sep 2007, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 16:29 

Okay - thanks for explaining what the item is. Here's a suggestion for a translation correction - could you verify that I'm interpreting the meaning correctly?
Quote:
Branding irons are used by the steppe people to mark their livestock, but sometimes the same symbols are used to represent places, events or other living things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 16:46 

Sounds good but I would prefer to avoid calling these symbols "the same". Perhaps "similar"? It really was "....sometimes these symbols are used to represent.....", I can't tell for sure, whether it is meant the same symbols are used or steppe people have one array of these symbols for identifying bulls' ownership and another one was made for different obscure purposes:).

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable