[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Names (and plains) in translation
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:52
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 01:59 

18 Nov 2007, 17:44

Hello everyone,

Regarding plans to Anglicise (aka. translate) the names of characters as well, I would request that a version of the patch be made in which the original names are kept.

Pathologic was a game developed by a Russian team, principally, for the Russian market. It follows, logically, that most of the game's characters are also Russians.

Its cultural background is one of the reasons (but not the only reason) why it is an interesting work. It comes across in small details: In many parts of the world there are indeed towns focussed on an industry and which supply and are centered on a distant cultural center.

The critical difference is on the far side of the town. There are only a few places left (eg. Russia, Canada, parts of South America) where the horizon becomes a great expanse, one that lies beyond the ability of humans to completely conquer it. One that you could get lost in, that could easily consume you (mind and body). A game developed only by people growing up in the U.K. would assume that all horizons either end in a coastline or another town - you can fall off a cliff, but you can't get lost.

So, even the cycle of twyrine and blood would never have entered the plot, nor would "the mirages" throughout the game take the forms that they did if the town didn't have a bit of grass around it...

Just my thoughts,

S!

P.S.
Aside from the name issue, is there any chance that the invisible borders to the games universe could be removed in the translation updating patch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 13:01 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Hey!

I missed thismessage somehow before, so sorry for the long no-reply. I think it'll be a problem to make a name patch - it'll require hell a lot of work to replace names everywhere. I think the best solution will be to choose the right names for the characters - I don't want to anglicise them beyond need. Just the ones that can be logically used in both languages. Like Pyotr and Peter.

Also - what invicible borders? The ones at the edge of town?

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 09:39 

14 Oct 2008, 15:24

Though I guess I understand why you're choosing to anglicise the names where there is an English equivalent, it doesn't really seem like it would be necessary to me. I would think that anyone who is interested in such an unusual game is probably open-minded to the point of being able to accept names that are uncommon/unusual in the English-speaking society. Also, I have to agree that keeping the names as the Russian version really makes it possible to accept that I might be in some Russian town. It's a bit difficult to believe that I'm in Russia, if I'm talking to people called George, Andrew, et cetera. Anyway, I'm not trying to change how you're doing things, I just thought I'd put in my two cents, for what it's worth.

I was also interested in patronymics. Were these in the original Russian version? If so, I'm guessing that you're not going to translate these into English. As much as I would like to see these, as well as the -a on the end of the surnames of women, I think this probably would be too confusing for most English-speaking people, even if the non-anglicised first names wouldn't be, in my opinion.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 11:31 
Бессмысленный и беспощадный

21 May 2006, 19:45

Hello! I agree with you about keeping the Russian names, but names you mentioned slightly differ from Russian ones: Andrew is Andrey, George is Georgy. Is it worth to keep one letter?)

As far as I remeber, there are no patronymics in Pathologic, only surnames.

BTW: the Project now has new home: http://translate.pathologic-game.com/

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 16:07 

07 Oct 2008, 04:44

Quote:
As far as I remeber, there are no patronymics in Pathologic, only surnames.
There is Saburov and Saburova. They're in the Glossary too.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 16:55 
Бессмысленный и беспощадный

21 May 2006, 19:45

But these are surnames, not patronymics. Russian patronymics end with -vich for male and -vna for female. E.g. Ivanovich/Ivanovna.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 23:29 

07 Oct 2008, 04:44

Ahh, my bad.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable