[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Question
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:13
 Post subject: Question
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2008, 20:40 

21 Apr 2008, 10:42

Is the translation project a full translation from scratch from the original russian?
In the current english translation in the commercial english copy, with the way it turned out, are there major plot points missed in the dialog or translated into meaning something else due to the errors?

I've played a bit less than half the Bachelor's storyline and reading through the game I've got a sincere feeling that an english speaking person with writing experience/took high level english classes in college/is not an idiot could perhaps copyproof the english text. Correct grammar and spelling, and edit for clarity. This simple level of editing would do wonders for the dialog, and its only failing is if perhaps plot points were completely lost in translation the first time around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2008, 20:59 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Quote:
Is the translation project a full translation from scratch from the original russian?
Yep. We're using the original Russian texts.
Quote:
In the current english translation in the commercial english copy, with the way it turned out, are there major plot points missed in the dialog or translated into meaning something else due to the errors?
Most of the dialogues are quite fine - they only need proper QC and all. THe main problem is the Devotress scenario, which is just unintelligible. I'm translating it from scratch.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2008, 21:07 

If the english text could be gone over the same way as the russian to make the translation, I'd be happy to volunteer my time, at least for a sample of say, the first couple days of the Bachelor or something (wouldn't want to spoil my first time through after all!). Fixing the already english text to make proper sense would go much, much faster than re-translating the game from scratch.

I'm sad to hear the Devotress is currently unplayable. :( I was planning on playing her next because the events in Day Five have me so intrigued about the character. By the sounds of it, I wouldn't even be able to garner the basic information I want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2008, 10:38 

25 Feb 2007, 00:40

Her scenario is much harder then two others, your reputation constantly goes down (becomes zero in 1,5 days if not increased), weapon choice is very very very limited and the role is hard to get into. While I was quite aware of what I was doing as the bachelor, I just couldn't get into Klara's skin in terms of a "grand purpose".
No use to cry quarter!

If you do not describe your attack in a gloriously cinematic fashion, the difficulty increases one step. (c)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2008, 12:46 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Quote:
Her scenario is much harder then two others, your reputation constantly goes down (becomes zero in 1,5 days if not increased), weapon choice is very very very limited and the role is hard to get into. While I was quite aware of what I was doing as the bachelor, I just couldn't get into Klara's skin in terms of a "grand purpose".
I think yuo misunderstood something - we're talking about the English translation. The texts are unintelligible in her scenario in the English version.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2008, 13:04 

25 Feb 2007, 00:40

That only makes it even worse than it's already is in the original variant, well - IMHO.
No use to cry quarter!

If you do not describe your attack in a gloriously cinematic fashion, the difficulty increases one step. (c)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2008, 14:52 

I used the tool in the modding thread to extract some of the .vfs's of the game and try and find the dialog, so I could see where the text is and see if I could try to copy edit it, and I can't find the dialog files. :(

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable