[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Information missing between translations?
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:49
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 07:45 

31 Aug 2012, 07:33

How do you do, fellow Ice-Pick Lodge fans? I'm currently in the process of doing a series of write-ups on The Void, a game I'm deeply in love with in spite of, tragically enough, never having actually played it. Interpret that as being somehow indicative of the strength of The Void as a game. You can find the first part of my projected three part write-up by clicking on these words! I hope my observations and analyses don't end up embarrassing me under the scrutiny of folks like yourselves, who probably know the game much more intimately than I do, but I also hope I've done The Void proud in my own way.

Moving on then to the subject of this topic: for the second part of my write up I'm focusing on a character analysis of the Sisters. Interpreting their chambers, Colour diets, poisons, body language, etc., and attempting to develop something biographical for each of them. So far it's going swimmingly, but I feel like I'm missing some information that could be extremely enriching to my work. In CannibalK9's Let's Play (which is a tremendous piece of work, and is what got me into The Void and Ice-Pick Lodge) he refers to the Russian version of the game featuring a brief introduction from Sister Death the first time you enter a Sister's chamber. Specifically, he mentions that Death claims Sister Eli would "spend a thousand years in the Void for one day on the surface." This is really important to her character, I feel, and really nourished my understanding of her. Has anyone compiled and translated what Sister Death has to say about her fellow Sisters? Or even, are there such statements, or was CannibalK9 misinformed or confused?

My apologies if this information is readily available and I simply haven't searched hard enough for it. I look forward to hopefully receiving a reply, and if it pleases the (thrillingly still active!) community here, I will post a link to my article on the Sisters when it's complete.

Thanks folks.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 09:53 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure if these can help or will provide any information, but I did a Longplay of the Russion version. You can see it in full at: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... e=view_all

It may provide diferent dialogs as it is subtitled in english, the problem is that on that english patch of the russian verion, the text is out of sync with the voices during the conversations with the sisters. So after each conversation with a sister I bring up the jornal to display the dialog on screen, and that may require you to pause the video, depending on how fast you read.

Hope it helps.

[EDIT]: Here is the great compilation of The Void information, perhaps you can find something interresting in there (By the way, I added your link): viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9478&p=99967#p99967

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 12:55 

22 Aug 2011, 11:50

I'm just curious... why haven't you played it?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 05:18 

31 Aug 2012, 07:33

Oh goodness, that was a pretty rapid response. It's always great when a game can support a community months and years after its release.

Throdax: I'll definitely be watching your longplay as soon as I can. For a start I'd love to hear the Russian voices, and even having watched it for- let's see now- 18 seconds, the translation is already different and rich in whole new and interesting ways. This is the original Russian version, right? Before it became known as The Void even in Russia? I'm looking forward to it: even if I don't find the exact information I was looking for I'm sure there is going to be a great amount of nourishing information to be found within. Thanks!

barkera: tragically, it's simple hardware limitations. My only computer is an iMac, which is perfectly dependable and altogether really quite useful, but leaves The Void (and Pathologic, which I'd also love to play) out of my reach. I suppose I could jump through all manner of emulation hoops if I had the sheer force of will. And maybe one day I will- in spite of having experienced the game to a very complete degree vicariously, I'd still love to play the game myself.

Oh! And Throdax, thanks for adding my humble blog post to the comprehensive link guide. It's an honour!

For what it's worth, I've published a version of my Sisters character analysis as-is, which I will either update or post an addendum to after having watched Throdax's longplay. I've also got at least one more article on The Void that I'm currently working on, regarding the verses that are read for each Sister's ending, and what the whole thing could mean.

In the mean time, thanks for the help, and I look forward to hopefully adding to the discourse surrounding The Void.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable