[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Questions thread
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:14
 Post subject: Questions thread
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2007, 22:25 

18 Nov 2007, 17:44

Most questions (eg. regarding modding) were answered when the English website was released ...but a few remain.

First, I take it that the plot line is essentially:
The player must kill hunters, marry a nymph and escape the world (which presumably exists inside the mind of ice-pick studios)... Is this correct?

Gameplay:
1. Can you ally with hunters (or was that a mistranslation)?
2. Is everything environmental change related to the progression of the plot line and start conditions or will environments dynamically change over time (eg. resource blooms, killing off all the bats).
3. I take it that there is only one important nutrient type for player health/consumption? (having five or six areas of resource scarcity was a good feature in Pathologic for several reasons)
4. Will walk speed be the same as in pathologic, (I personally prefer slow walk speeds), or will it be adjustable?
5. Will opponents be able to retreat (or will the obsessively attack)?
6. Does the colour you paint the trees matter?
7. Does the engine support objects having kinetic impacts on the player?
8. Do we expect dialog or will the game be silent?

Appearance:
9. I personally find it pleasant to have a world populated by naked females. But, I know a lot of women (and apparently a few guys) who would find a romantic interest of the male gender more appropriate. What is your take on how this will effect the market and the politics of only offering a male player character?
10. Will it be possible for the appearance of the Lympha in painting mode be adjusted? (the current effect reminds me of the default windows bitmap editor wheres the almost skeletal effect that you see on the tree trunks is very different)

Finally, the last question: Do you need any beta testers? :)

(On the last count I am very reliable with regards to non-disclosure
agreements and I have enough experience modding to at least stretch
some parts of the engine's capabilities)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2007, 23:18 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Quote:
The player must kill hunters, marry a nymph and escape the world (which presumably exists inside the mind of ice-pick studios)... Is this correct?
If you use the verb "must" - then no. It's up to the player to make the decision on any of the three actions you've mentioned. I'd replace "must" with "can". :)

>> 1. Can you ally with hunters (or was that a mistranslation)?
Yep, you can take the hunters' side in the game, though, the Gameplay in this case is a bit plainer.

>> 2. Is everything environmental change related to the progression of the plot line and start conditions or will environments dynamically change over time (eg. resource blooms, killing off all the bats).
Please, don't expect too much from the environment - the changes are rather simple, the most noticable being the trees blooming and large chapter updates.

>> 3. I take it that there is only one important nutrient type for player health/consumption? (having five or six areas of resource scarcity was a good feature in Pathologic for several reasons)
Yes. But, there are RPG-like stats in the game, that will depend on the color of lympha, that you consume.

>> 4. Will walk speed be the same as in pathologic, (I personally prefer slow walk speeds), or will it be adjustable?
Walk speed will be dependant on a stat. The default is the same as in Pathologic. There's also a run feature for combat - works like in any FPS.

>> 5. Will opponents be able to retreat (or will the obsessively attack)?
Yep, you won't find yourself stuck running from one end of a location to the other from one persistent enemy. :)

>> 6. Does the colour you paint the trees matter?
Yes, color makes a lot of difference, most of which will not be explained to the player, while some being obvious.

>> 7. Does the engine support objects having kinetic impacts on the player?
Yes, the engine supports kinematic objects. :) We use AGEIA PhysX and most of the reference models from it.

>> 8. Do we expect dialog or will the game be silent?
Technically speaking, there will be monologues with full voiceovers.

>> 9. I personally find it pleasant to have a world populated by naked females. But, I know a lot of women (and apparently a few guys) who would find a romantic interest of the male gender more appropriate. What is your take on how this will effect the market and the politics of only offering a male player character?

There were several reasons, if you don't mind, I'll answer a bit later.

>> 10. Will it be possible for the appearance of the Lympha in painting mode be adjusted? (the current effect reminds me of the default windows bitmap editor wheres the almost skeletal effect that you see on the tree trunks is very different)

We're thinking about changing the effect right now. ))

>> Finally, the last question: Do you need any beta testers?
Unfortunately, our current publisher doesn't work with external testers. If the situation changes - I'll be sure to tell you. ;) It's not about the NDA. :)

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2007, 23:42 

18 Nov 2007, 17:44

Thanks for answering the questions.

As for producing a more dynamic environment (that changes in a non-linear way) - it sounds like the relatively open architecture might make this possible for a 3rd party project.

S!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2008, 03:53 

13 Apr 2008, 03:49

Hey there,

Will your game be supporting tablets at all?

Thanks, and best of luck with your development!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2008, 10:50 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Yo! I suppose we're going to add tablets in the first patch - didn't add now, because mouselook with a tablet is unbearable. Still needs a lot of tinkering with settings.

---- Alexander Pope

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable