[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • A few questions about Tension
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 16:58
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 07:54 

15 Jan 2009, 05:16

Hello everyone.

I haven't been this excited about a game for a long time, and I had a few questions.

1) Do you know how (other than gameplay) the US release will be affected? For example, will some of the darker themes and nudity be removed? Unfortunately US has a very odd stance on this. Apperently it's ok to show a man's head exploding, but you can't show a naked woman. If the game was released with nudity, would it be rated AO? I think most stores won't sell AO rated games.

2) The artwork for the Russian version is gorgeous, so even if I got the US version, I'd really like to get the Russian box too. I know about Ozon.ru, but are there more English friendly websites that sell this game and ship to the US? Ozon is a bit hard to navigate since googletranslate refuses to translate past the 1st page (item page will be in English, but once I click "checkout" it reverts to Russian.

3) If I get the Russian version, is there an English gameplay guide somewhere? Something that would tell me where to go if lost for example?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 11:00 

25 Feb 2007, 00:40

I can only advise you to a get a hold of yourself and wait for the actual English release, because it will feature many things not present in the Russian version (like rebalance, improved tutorial, new voice cast, etc.).

Now to your questions:

1) I don't think there will be a censorship issue with Tension. The girls are not entirely naked, their hot spots are covered with the "hunger chains", although Tension could be rated near AO for other reasons.

2) Can't say, wait and see 8)

3) I don't think this game needs a guide, it's based on backbone gameplay elements, you only need to know what glyphs do in terms of a guide. As for the story, it will be impossible for you to get if you don't know Russian, so have patience and it will be rewarded.
No use to cry quarter!

If you do not describe your attack in a gloriously cinematic fashion, the difficulty increases one step. (c)

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 13:09 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

1) Well they do get entirely naked eventualy ;)

2) Try gamedep.ru, they have the digital distrubution version, although activating that can be a bit tricky.

3) It is possible to play the game in russian, although it becames high impossible to understand the story, the glyths are fairly easy to understand the purpose (each new glyth you aquire comes with a demo video of its usage).

If you decided to buy and play the russian version, I can help you understand some things of the game if you get lost.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 17:20 

20 Jan 2007, 19:47

Also, you can play the Russian version with English subtitles, via a small patch.

However, I'd recommend waiting for the proper English language release, because of the extra features and improvements it will have :)

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 21:04 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Quote:
Ah ok, so instead of royalties you get payed a one time fee, kinda like the payment for allowing them to sell the game, or something.... anyway I get it. :)

Doesn't mean it is fair though. I do hope that you guys can, in the future get more money, that way you could ditch publishers and go DD ;)
The developer's dream :)

I agree with some of the pays... Our publisher sold a version with Russian audio and English subtitles to the Brazilian. I wouldn't pay for that myself. :-D

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 21:27 
In Turgor!

Quote:
Quote:
Ah ok, so instead of royalties you get payed a one time fee, kinda like the payment for allowing them to sell the game, or something.... anyway I get it. :)

Doesn't mean it is fair though. I do hope that you guys can, in the future get more money, that way you could ditch publishers and go DD ;)
The developer's dream :)

I agree with some of the pays... Our publisher sold a version with Russian audio and English subtitles to the Brazilian. I wouldn't pay for that myself. :-D
I would... I find the Russian voices sexeh.... :oops:

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 21:41 

Quote:
Hehe, well, I think the Russian voices in Tension are excellent, and really add to the mood. I think it's one of the few games that could work really well in a subtitled version. I hope the English actors will be good, though good voice-acting is a rare thing... :|

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 22:21 

I wish the adherents in Pathologic were voice cast.
No use to cry quarter!

If you do not describe your attack in a gloriously cinematic fashion, the difficulty increases one step. (c)

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 23:56 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
Ahako would be pleased to hear that. ;)
Quote:
I wish the adherents in Pathologic were voice cast.
You do know, that there are 1200 translator pages in Pathologic? :)
Quote:
Hehe, well, I think the Russian voices in Tension are excellent, and really add to the mood. I think it's one of the few games that could work really well in a subtitled version. I hope the English actors will be good, though good voice-acting is a rare thing...
You know, I think I can make a custom patch for that. ;)

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 00:26 

21 Apr 2008, 10:42

Quote:
1) Do you know how (other than gameplay) the US release will be affected? For example, will some of the darker themes and nudity be removed? Unfortunately US has a very odd stance on this. Apperently it's ok to show a man's head exploding, but you can't show a naked woman. If the game was released with nudity, would it be rated AO? I think most stores won't sell AO rated games.
As long as you can't do them, nudity's just an M rating. It's SEX that's an issue. Hell, Mass Effect's sex scene that showed the equivalent of what you could see on a prime-time TV-PG television show got it an M, when in other countries like the UK it got a 12 years and up.
Quote:
ension could be rated near AO for other reasons.
Hm? None of the trailers suggested this would be a game with horrific graphic violence or gambling using real life money. :P

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 00:51 

So, other than gamedep.ru, are there any other options for a Russian hard copy shipped to US? I fumbled my way through Ozon and finally got to the region-select screen and was met with this through google translate:

Your basket are goods that are not delivered outside Russia.
Please refer to the restrictions on the delivery here.
To continue an order, please delete in the basket of goods from these sections
or place an order with a shipping address in Russia.

I shed a small tear. Any help for someone who badly wants that box? The collector's edition isn't even available on ozon.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 01:19 

Bolero.ru ships to America, but I don't know how much it costs.

Don't despair... I'm sure we'll find a way.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 04:28 

21 Aug 2008, 08:56

may as well throw 2 more questions here

Have you approved the English voice acting decent and accurate?

Is the game properly retail, meaning I don't need an internet connection for it?

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 06:00 

On the topic of voice-acting, I have a suggestion. I know I'm just one dude out of however many customers, but I think for the English release you guys should seriously consider a patch or something that allows Russian voices with English subs. Even if the English voice-acting is fantastic, for me personally it would really add to the atmosphere and overall feeling of mystery if I can't understand the spoken dialogue. It makes it seem like even more of an other-worldly experience. I love watching foreign movies in their native language, and it's rare (other than the occasional Japanese game) to play a game in its native language.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 13:04 

You remind me of myself in my days of JRPGfanboyizm)))
No use to cry quarter!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 13:10 
In Turgor!

Well, on jap games, when ever I can I switch the audio back to jap :)

Speaking of audio and etc, anyone has/played x-blades/oniblade yet? Another russian game.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 13:11 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
Well, on jap games, when ever I can I switch the audio back to jap :)

Speaking of audio and etc, anyone has/played x-blades/oniblade yet? Another russian game.
Don't. It's crap. (Or at least nothing special...)

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 13:14 
In Turgor!

Very straight forward :D

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 13:52 

2 the LXR

If Pathologic was fully voice cast it would have added 1234% to an already near flawless atmosphere.
No use to cry quarter!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 15:26 

Quote:
You remind me of myself in my days of JRPGfanboyizm)))
Heh, actually I can't stand playing Japanese game with Japanese audio because usually the female character's shrill voices and all the weird things everybody yells while fighting annoy me to no end. I meant that other than a few Western released JRPGs I haven't seen any foreign games with switchable audio.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 18:25 

Quote:
I meant that other than a few Western released JRPGs I haven't seen any foreign games with switchable audio.
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. You can choose your own mix of subtitles and voiceacting, from eight different language choices! Don't like the English voices? No problem. CD Projekt RED really did an amazing job with that game.

Re: X-Blades -
I've never understood how X-Blades developed such hype around it, and got so much press. What is supposed to be special about it? Surely the interest isn't just because of that weird almost-naked 'anime' girl? :|

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 18:53 
In Turgor!

Quote:
Quote:
I meant that other than a few Western released JRPGs I haven't seen any foreign games with switchable audio.
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. You can choose your own mix of subtitles and voiceacting, from eight different language choices! Don't like the English voices? No problem. CD Projekt RED really did an amazing job with that game.

Re: X-Blades -
I've never understood how X-Blades developed such hype around it, and got so much press. What is supposed to be special about it? Surely the interest isn't just because of that weird almost-naked 'anime' girl? :|
Well I have an anime "thing"... but I already knew about the game before x-blades, while it sill was oniblade.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2009, 08:05 

I know this is insignificant, but there is no entry for this game in gamefaqs. I found out about this game through a very roundabout way. Some people on 4chan were discussing Pathologic, I wikipedia'd Pathologic and saw Tension under the "See Also". I wish there was more advertisement or at least a better way for word of mouth to travel about this.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2009, 13:42 

Quote:
I know this is insignificant, but there is no entry for this game in gamefaqs. I found out about this game through a very roundabout way. Some people on 4chan were discussing Pathologic, I wikipedia'd Pathologic and saw Tension under the "See Also". I wish there was more advertisement or at least a better way for word of mouth to travel about this.
Well, Tension/The Void has been mentioned on a few English-language blogs and news sites but Atari haven't officially announced it yet. When that happens (which should be soon), the press release will be up on a lot of sites, followed by a new trailer, then previews, etc. So in the next few months, plenty more people will get to know about this game :)

Btw, you read about Pathologic on 4chan? :shock: I'm glad you found out about it, but I'm also a bit scared! I hope they were only saying nice things about it :wink:

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2009, 14:24 
In Turgor!

Indeed, the coverage of Tension is short at the moment and I'm trying my best to increases it.

Gametrailers.com has an entry for Tension in which me and LxR have been uploading a few entries to it.
I've put some videos on youtube also with mild success (320 views +- for the first gameplay part).

IIRC, IGN and Eurogamer have entries for Tension allbight empty.

Unfortunately only Atari/Ice-Pick have the authority to "create" entries on the game sites.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable