[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Various methods for dealing with annoying predators
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:49
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 02:14 

07 Jan 2010, 18:20

To start with, a rhetorical question: is it weird that I spend more time thinking about The Void than I do actually playing it?

Anyway, on to my actual topic. I've been thinking about the different ways of dealing with predators that might be in your way or causing problems. They all seem to have their own up- and down-sides, and I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of those with more experience with this game.

As I see it, there are three options:
1) Ignore the predator and try to avoid it. This seems to be clearly the ideal method, but sometimes you can't completely avoid one and you might have to take a hit or two as you push past it. The obvious advantage to this is that you don't damage the domain. And purely from a Color conservation point of view as well, if you have more color in your Lympha/Hearts than in your Nerva it might be better to get hit than do the hitting.
2) Kill the predator, with raw Color or with Glyphs. This has the advantage of eliminating the predator so at least you don't need to worry about for that particular time in that chamber. If you have very little Color in your Hearts/Lympha and plenty in your Nerva it might also be the only real option. Disadvantage is, of course, that you do damage to the domain

those two seem pretty straight forward, but it seems like there is a third option.
3) Use Glyphs to avoid the predator. This is kind of an offshoot of option one. If you don't want to take a hit, you could use something like Shell to shield yourself from a blow, or maybe Haste to make it easier to avoid the predator. Obviously, if you lack sufficient Color reserves in your Hearts/Lympha you might not be able to take the hit... but otherwise this seems like the worst option at first glance. You're still damaging the domain, and you're not even taking out the predator in the process. I suppose this assumes that you could kill the predator with the same expenditure of Color that you would use to Shell yourself, which probably isn't usually the case, though...

Also, related question: does using Donor to drop a blob of Color on the ground have any affect on predators? That is, does it attract them or anything?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable