[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • What do the endings mean?
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:30
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 07:32 

19 Jul 2010, 13:35

Did lots of searching and can't find what I want so I started this topic.

Okay so it appears that this wonderul game has 3 kinds of endings (correct me if I'm wrong):
A) Ascend a sister
B) Ascend yourself
C) Continue to stay in the void after the 35th cycle ends

And I have many questions about them, especially with all the endings which come with poems. Here I go......

1. Which one is supposed to be the good ending?

2. If ascending a sister is the good ending, which is the correct one to ascend?

3. What do the poems (12 of them in total including yourself) of each endings mean? I simply cannot understand them. Does it means ascending sister like Aya is bad cause the sky color become so dark while those with brighter sky color is good? I would appreciate very much if someone can translate the poems into layman terms.

4. What does the 'Continue to stay in the void after the 35th cycle' actually means? Does it means you die? Become the ruler of the void (having all the sisters for yourself, harem for the win!)? Or what?

5. Which sister is good/evil, are they all telling the truth or some (or even all of them) are lying to you?

6. Which brother is good/evil, are they all telling the truth or some (or even all of them) are lying to you?

7. I heard rumors about ascending two sisters of same color as possible ending, is this ending removed? Can anyone tell me more about it?

8. I heard rumors about ascending a sister and yourself as possible ending, is this ending removed? Can anyone tell me more about it?

My apologies for making a thread with the longest list of questions on the forum. lol xD

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 13:05 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

1 - Whichever ending you choose for yourself is is a good ending. Although one could argue that staying in the void isn't that good.

2 - There is no correct sister. Which ever you choose is the correct choice.

3 - No sister is evil per si, no sister is good per si. The poems simply reflect the associated sister personalty and what kind of world she would create, more philosophical than anything.

4 - You became the last brother and the keep of the void, but the void dies as colour has left it. So the way I see it, back to the nightmare with you.

5 - All of them potentially lie. The only one you can really trust is the Nameless Sister... and Ole :twisted: I then end they all want to use you to get out of the void.

6 - You know, trust is a very relative thing in the void. From their point of view, everything they say is truth. I think only Montgolfier thinks of your best interest, then again he wishes for you to became the last brother.

7 - Those are false.

8 - It was possible to do that in the original russian version, but it was removed in the international version and the russian special edition.

9 - Welcome and enjoy :D

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 16:28 

19 Jul 2010, 13:35

Wow I never thought that I would receive a reply so fast. Can't do much but keep thanking you, thanks! :P

Embarrassingly, sometimes answers lead to more questions, hope you don't mind......

Here I go again:
Quote:
3 - No sister is evil per si, no sister is good per si. The poems simply reflect the associated sister personalty and what kind of world she would create, more philosophical than anything.
Erm...... Do you understand each of them? Care to describe some of the endings in details with your own words? At least tell me more about Sister, Ole and own ending please! That's the least I need to know :?
Quote:
4 - You became the last brother and the keep of the void, but the void dies as colour has left it. So the way I see it, back to the nightmare with you.
So I get to be with all the sisters in the nightmare? Cool!
Quote:
5 - All of them potentially lie. The only one you can really trust is the Nameless Sister... and Ole :twisted: I then end they all want to use you to get out of the void.
Wait...... Even Nameless and Ole are trying to 'use' us?
Quote:
6 - You know, trust is a very relative thing in the void. From their point of view, everything they say is truth. I think only Montgolfier thinks of your best interest, then again he wishes for you to became the last brother.
Yea agree.

But funnily at first he's the brother I hate most since he's the cause of my first death in the game (that bugger dried up my precious garden leaving me to die of starvation).

Patriach is nice too (caring old man on a wheel chair) :wink:
Quote:
9 - Welcome and enjoy :D
Babysit me please xD

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 20:56 

28 Mar 2007, 09:14

Quote:
Yeap

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2010, 08:20 

20 Feb 2010, 09:09

Quote:
Quote:
Yeap
This is open to interpretation, but it seems pretty clear that all of the others are, based on what they say after the 4th heart is filled.
At the very least, if Nameless and/or Ole are trying to use us, they're much better at allaying suspicion of it.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 02:34 

26 Dec 2010, 18:39

I know this is an old thread but this question has been burning inside me, and although I dont truly expect a reliable answer, I still want to ask it more as a rhetorical one than anything.

If the Void is above the nightmare, and the nightmare is absolute death, how do the brothers rise up from it?

Last edited by J_4mes on 05 Jan 2011, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 02:43 

20 Jan 2007, 19:47

The Void is above the Nightmare. And how did the Brothers rise up? With great difficulty! Look at their dead parts!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 03:26 

Quote:
The Void is above the Nightmare. And how did the Brothers rise up? With great difficulty! Look at their dead parts!
:oops: woops I knew what I meant, edited my post ;)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 04:06 

Sorry - Wasn't trying to pick on you :wink: And also sorry that I don't have a better answer!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 21:50 

25 Nov 2009, 02:31

My theory goes that it is absolute death of the soul. A complete loss of color, and therefore what The Sleeper is becoming. If we accept this as fact, then they do not mean a literal death, but being trapped in a state of complete apathy and nothingness. I would say that the Brothers' desire for something more was so strong, they managed to rise up into a world of color. When they saw color, they worshipped it, it was like nothing they had ever seen, etc... You know the rest of this story :)

A rather romantic view on the Brothers, I know, but I think more meaning hides in their husks than the Sisters'.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 22:44 

But as far as I gathered, the brothers cannot see colour? or something .. I dont quite know, can someone explain that to me?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 22:47 

They can see Color... they just can't hear its voice...

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 22:49 

Quote:
They can see Color... they just can't hear its voice...
aah Thanks for clearing that one up

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2012, 19:03 

06 May 2011, 08:17

Quote:
The only one you can really trust is the Nameless Sister
I think that's rather questionable. Sister Death pulled the biggest gamble of them all on you, girl is addicted to high stakes poker! She makes a point to mention how she has nurtured you and nursed you back to health, and then she does what she does. She knows that pulling at your gratitude and guilt strings is a lot more effective than making demands or arrogant claims ("We're the favorite sisters of the sleeper." "Forget Ole, Golden Eyes; I'm better!"

And it can pay off handsomely for her in the end, aye? ;)

(I love how The Void makes an adamant point not to insult the player's intelligence. The level of subtlety and ingenuity we see in the plot is light years ahead of pretty much any other game on the market.)
Quote:
1 - Whichever ending you choose for yourself is is a good ending. Although one could argue that staying in the void isn't that good.
Staying in the void is actually my favorite ending. Up until that point I hadn't realized how utterly terrifying your visage could be, nor the true meaning of Doppelganger's words. I'd argue it's also the more moral choice, since choosing who lives and who dies is... gross. Who knows, maybe some eons in the future another soul will stumble upon the void. Color will then return specially for it; the surviving sisters will get all spunky again, and you will step forth to destroy the taboo breaker. :)

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable