[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • The Void Easy Patch Project - Page 3
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:07
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 02:08 

02 Jul 2010, 02:06

I don't suppose there's any way you can make the donor glyph easier to draw?

I don't have a problem with any of the others, but that bloody thing.. I've looked at the examples, I've seen the video, I've tried several different ways to draw it, and no matter what it always fails one in three tries or so.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 03:20 

02 Jul 2010, 03:16

Quote:
I just got the game today on Steam and I'm wondering where to put the easy patch files?
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the void

Is where the main program files are installed... so I'm guessing it would work if you put the patch there.

Personally, I'm going to give it a whirl before I patch it. ;-)

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 14:59 

21 May 2010, 14:57

Quote:
I don't suppose there's any way you can make the donor glyph easier to draw?

I don't have a problem with any of the others, but that bloody thing.. I've looked at the examples, I've seen the video, I've tried several different ways to draw it, and no matter what it always fails one in three tries or so.
Try drawing a small "d". I was having a hard time with this one, too, but meanwhile i get it right 100% when drawing it like a d instead of an alpha.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 16:39 

29 Aug 2004, 16:52

Find "Variables" in data/config.xml
Someting like
Code:
 <Variables>
  <Var name ="fast_start" value ="0" />
 </Variables>
Or maybe you don't have any variables there (that's normal for player's version, as far as I remember)

Add the following line there:
Code:
<Variables>
  <Var name ="fast_start" value ="0" />
 <VAr name = "log_gestures" value = "1" />
</Variables>
The game is going to record every unrecognized symbol you draw. After some time playing the game and failing Donors open \Documents\My Games\Void\LogFiles and send me your gestures.idb. I'll see what's wrong. We can actually change the outlines database if your way seems reasonable.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 02:44 

02 Jul 2010, 02:06

Amusingly enough, once I tried that, my glyphs stopped failing. Or I finally found a way to draw them that works. Whichever.

I'll keep it on, though, in case it's temporary.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 03:43 

01 Jul 2010, 13:58

Quote:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the void

Is where the main program files are installed... so I'm guessing it would work if you put the patch there.

Personally, I'm going to give it a whirl before I patch it. ;-)
Nice, it works. That was the right spot. Thanks. :)

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2010, 12:12 

05 Jul 2010, 19:10

The Void's difficulty is rather interesting because, it relies not on the fact that the mechanics themselves are hard, but because mistakes are very unforgiving.
I managed to beat the game on my 2nd playthrough (had to give up on the 1st one due to too many mistakes :P) and based on this experience I can safely say that the things that make the game the hardest are:

1- Donor Glyph in general: With this I basically mean 2 things. One being the fact that I tend to fail writing the Donor glyph about 10-15% of the times, even now that I know how to draw it. I think the game should be more forgiving with this glyph in particular, given its importance.
Second reason being that accidentally coloring a tree with little lympha is a really bad idea, especially in the beginning, and unfortunately its a very common rookie mistake.
Perhaps, as it was mentioned earlier, preventing the player from doing so, similar to what happens with the sisters, is a good idea.

2- Lympha in hearts: Sisters tell you that you should fill your hearts with violet when growing gardens and gold when donating lypha to sisters when you've already spent much of it without doing so. (for example, one of the sisters tells you about violet's ''inspiration'' power when you reach 'caves', and by then you probably screwed up with Sister Death's garden and possibly others depending on which direction you took on the void)
Perhaps having a quick tutorial or having sister death, or maybe even having the colors talking to you and telling you their functions, RIGHT in the beginning of the game (maybe the 1st time you enter Death's garden), would be a good idea.

3- Predators: Sister Death tells you early in the game that Predators are an indication of the sister's realm being corrupted, and that they should be killed to prevented the anger of the brothers. I remember on my 1st playthrough, taking this TOO seriously, and literally killing all predators I saw in every chamber. This obviously caused my nerva to be lost trivially and I'd rarely have enough to grow gardens. Even if you DO know that predators are not such a threat, generally speaking the best you can do is avoid them. So perhaps Predators shouldn't be so numerous in certain areas, given the fact that it's not wise to waste color on killing them anyway (I'm particularly thinking of 'Phalanx' I think it is? One of the early game mines, although probably there are other places like that)

4- Movement: One of my newbie mistakes was generally spending 3/4 of a cycle moving from a very distant garden to another, not realizing that the amount of lympha it took me to move such distances consumed almost all the lypha I had gathered moments ago, even moreso if I had grown amber. While this may seem a good idea if you want nerva, combine this mistake with the previous 2 mistakes of killing predators and wasting excess nerva in growing gardens and opening sister's hearts, and you have a recipe for disaster.
I think a good solution would be speeding up the movement in the void. Perhaps a 50% increase.

Well, those are my two cents. :P

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 15:00 

22 Mar 2010, 17:18

I agree with the lessons learned here posted by Maelstrom (except I didn't seem to have the donor glyph problem), though the game seems to be designed to require a second playthrough. My first five cycles taught me the essentials, and that I'd screwed up big time! ;) I think in the colour info screen you can read the effects that violet and gold have without needing a sister to tell you anyway? I restarted and made sure I didn't try and kill everything, and, I think more crucially, filled garden trees to their tips - exactly as the Nameless Sister said in the beginning, but which I did not take seriously enough.

And I didn't try to drop colour into EVERY tree if I knew I didn't have enough colour to fill them! That way you also have some capacity to grow colour throughout every cycle without waiting for the trees to become available again after harvesting.

And anticipating which gardens the brothers were heading to, remembering where I'd set traps so I knew which ones to head off first...

I maintain my analogy of playing five games of chess all at the same time, but for me it was fun as it is.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 13:57 

15 Jul 2010, 13:33

Pardon me if I'm missing some points already made,
I have not read the entire thread, only the first messages suggesting giving player some gadzillion advantages..
guys
Currently I'm playing original Tension and I love it, partly because it's so hard. It really helps in creating the overall mood of the game. Darkness, despair and hopelessness (with a few tints of color helping alleviate the mood).
But throw in a couple jetpacks, laser gun and self-regenerating HP - and you've got your Commander Keen clone, all flashing and beeping and....no thank you.
Don't go that way.
Let Ubisoft crowd overstretch themselves trying to please the "casual gamers". (Assassin's Creed 2 was a JOKE. You could mash some random buttons and get through the game. You could ignore armor, weapons. Seriously, this sucks. )
I regard you (the devs) as the artists. You would not expect, say, some famous artist to change his (already finished) painting because "some folks from other there complained that it's being too dark, too colorful etc.".
Imagine what would have happened to poor Picasso?

Kudoz to Tension for being so uncompromisingly difficult.
Heck, this is afterlife, not an arcade machine!
Thank you for lending your ears (well, eyes) and my apologies if my outburst offends anybody:-)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 02:50 

21 Oct 2010, 18:19

Quote:
The Void's difficulty is rather interesting because, it relies not on the fact that the mechanics themselves are hard, but because mistakes are very unforgiving.
I managed to beat the game on my 2nd playthrough (had to give up on the 1st one due to too many mistakes :P) and based on this experience I can safely say that the things that make the game the hardest are:

1- Donor Glyph in general: With this I basically mean 2 things. One being the fact that I tend to fail writing the Donor glyph about 10-15% of the times, even now that I know how to draw it. I think the game should be more forgiving with this glyph in particular, given its importance.
Second reason being that accidentally coloring a tree with little lympha is a really bad idea, especially in the beginning, and unfortunately its a very common rookie mistake.
Perhaps, as it was mentioned earlier, preventing the player from doing so, similar to what happens with the sisters, is a good idea.

2- Lympha in hearts: Sisters tell you that you should fill your hearts with violet when growing gardens and gold when donating lypha to sisters when you've already spent much of it without doing so. (for example, one of the sisters tells you about violet's ''inspiration'' power when you reach 'caves', and by then you probably screwed up with Sister Death's garden and possibly others depending on which direction you took on the void)
Perhaps having a quick tutorial or having sister death, or maybe even having the colors talking to you and telling you their functions, RIGHT in the beginning of the game (maybe the 1st time you enter Death's garden), would be a good idea.

3- Predators: Sister Death tells you early in the game that Predators are an indication of the sister's realm being corrupted, and that they should be killed to prevented the anger of the brothers. I remember on my 1st playthrough, taking this TOO seriously, and literally killing all predators I saw in every chamber. This obviously caused my nerva to be lost trivially and I'd rarely have enough to grow gardens. Even if you DO know that predators are not such a threat, generally speaking the best you can do is avoid them. So perhaps Predators shouldn't be so numerous in certain areas, given the fact that it's not wise to waste color on killing them anyway (I'm particularly thinking of 'Phalanx' I think it is? One of the early game mines, although probably there are other places like that)

4- Movement: One of my newbie mistakes was generally spending 3/4 of a cycle moving from a very distant garden to another, not realizing that the amount of lympha it took me to move such distances consumed almost all the lypha I had gathered moments ago, even moreso if I had grown amber. While this may seem a good idea if you want nerva, combine this mistake with the previous 2 mistakes of killing predators and wasting excess nerva in growing gardens and opening sister's hearts, and you have a recipe for disaster.
I think a good solution would be speeding up the movement in the void. Perhaps a 50% increase.

Well, those are my two cents. :P

Just a quick comment on 2 and 3. With 2 I do believe (though don't quote me) the journal lists the properties of all colours, at least I THINK it does (I'm onlygoing by the german demo and my german's rusty, plus the demo might be different). So it's a case of All In The Manual (yes I tvtropes =P)

As for point 3, I think that's kind of the point. The game isn't always honest with you, I read in a review that Sisters seem to praise you for killing a predator, while brothers later chastise you for it, so it's a kind of enforced "who do you trust" scenario. To paraphrase a review "It takes balls for a game to essentially lie to you in its tutorial"

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 23:00 

21 Oct 2010, 18:19

Just downloaded the med. patch. Just wondering which the root folder is, in the main "void" folder there is "data" and "bin" I've extracted to "data" was that the right one?

I'm not dead yet, but I get the feeling I'll want to snap the disc later on if I don't install it now =P It took AGES for me to kill Pangolin cos I didn't have the web glyph.

EDIT: Do I need to start a new game for it to work?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 01:05 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

Quote:
Just downloaded the med. patch. Just wondering which the root folder is, in the main "void" folder there is "data" and "bin" I've extracted to "data" was that the right one?

I'm not dead yet, but I get the feeling I'll want to snap the disc later on if I don't install it now =P It took AGES for me to kill Pangolin cos I didn't have the web glyph.

EDIT: Do I need to start a new game for it to work?

The root folder is The Void folder itself.

You shouldn't need to start a new game for it to work but I can't confirm that as I never tested it before mid game.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 22:57 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

The patch was ready a long time ago: viewtopic.php?p=101816#p101816

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2012, 02:46 

04 Feb 2012, 02:36

Hello guys!
I was intrigued by your patch. I was sad when I realized that the game did not text or XML files with subtitles, but when I installed the patch, I noticed that some texts are included. I speak Portuguese and I really want to translate it, so I decided to do it using video walkthrough.

My question is: how to put the texts of the Brothers and Sisters in the game, just as was done in the menu, quests etc? Please help me.

(sorry my bad english :P)

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 13:07 

08 Feb 2012, 12:44

Hi, everyone. Amazing game you've made here. First post to report a typo in the easy/medium patch. It's in the strings, in quest_log_english, and in the very last line. It says "the more the realm is damages," and that should say damaged. Figured you guys might want to know in case the patch could be re-uploaded. :)

VG

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2012, 12:30 

01 Aug 2012, 11:36

I bought The Void today in Steam. So... Do I need to install this patch or it is in steam updates already? And is this game really too hard without patch?

And what patch do you recommend: easy or medium. I played the first version of Turgor. So I want the difficulty something like that.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2012, 13:30 

22 Aug 2011, 11:50

Quote:
I bought The Void today in Steam. So... Do I need to install this patch or it is in steam updates already? And is this game really too hard without patch?

And what patch do you recommend: easy or medium. I played the first version of Turgor. So I want the difficulty something like that.
This is an unofficial patch. Therefore, it is not applied through Steam. Download the files and manually put them in the right folders.

I would recommend medium if you want a challenge. Easy isn't simple, but I didn't have much trouble with it.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2012, 15:13 

01 Aug 2012, 11:36

Quote:
Quote:

This is an unofficial patch. Therefore, it is not applied through Steam. Download the files and manually put them in the right folders.

I would recommend medium if you want a challenge. Easy isn't simple, but I didn't have much trouble with it.
Thanks for answer. Another question: are these unofficial patches tested? I mean game-breaking bugs or smthing.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 01:22 

Well, I can say I've personally used both and never had any problems. It only modifies certain aspects of the supporting files, so it's all good.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 19:50 

12 Aug 2012, 18:44

Hello.

At first a big 'thanks' to 'Throdax' for creating the 'easy' and 'medium' patches. I use them with the German version of 'The Void' without any problems. And also thanks for the hint about the 'strings' folder.

But I've encountered another strange thing:

When ever I tried to seed colour to a tree, it seems I failed to draw the 'donor' glyph. A text informed me, that I should have to draw a 'donor' glyph – and now a lot of colour is lost. And on the screen a 'donor' glyph was shown. At first I deemed it to be a bug, because the voice to this text speaks always in Russian language.

But now that I've read this thread I suppose I've quite problems to draw the 'donor' glyph. Just like 'Baughn'. Now I use a save game to do some exercises. I try to drop a bit of colour by using the 'donor' glyph. What shall I say? Only ten percent success…

Now my question is, is there only a bug within the audio response and I'm too stupid to draw a 'donor' glyph – or is there perhaps a relation?

#

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 03:32 

Its not a bug (though I don't know about the Russian voice). It's just really, really hard to get the Donor glyph right.

Go here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10281

Open the walkthrough, and go to section 7.02. Find the Donor Glyph. I included some tips there to help you get drawing the glyph right. I know it has helped others, so hopefully it will for you too!

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2013, 06:26 

22 Dec 2013, 05:56

Thanks to great work of Throdax, I've managed to create mod that gave me a lot of joy through my 2nd playthrough. I'm sure im not a only one that would enjoy it.

Two major things that annoyed me in amazing game that is THE VOID. crappy returns of trees investments and chores caused by small capacity of lympha and nerva. luckily managed to create solution. enjoy.

lympha and nerva capacity increased from 90 to 900 and yield from trees doubled, cooldown of dead trees reduced to one cycle, from 3 i believe.
place PROPERTIES folder into THE VOID/DATA/.
Can be used on existing games, no need to do new game. only affects trees animated after installing mod, old trees once dead then revived should yield more than before like new ones.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-void-2x-b ... anerva-cap

can be combined with Throdax's mod, just overwrite those files.

Attachments:
thevoid trees.cap mod.rar [2.17 KiB]
Downloaded 705 times
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2014, 19:43 

19 Apr 2014, 19:15

Hi, can someone please point me to the download location of the easy patch files? There doesn't seem to be any attachments (that I can see) in this post?
Am I not looking in the correct place or have the attachments been removed...
Thanks

PostPosted: 03 May 2014, 22:00 

03 May 2014, 21:57

Same, I'd really like to access the patches but I can't find anything.

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 18:51 

06 May 2014, 18:43

Hi there!

I have the same problem like mad_llama... :(

Thanks in advance for any help!

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable