[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Recommend a book
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:42
 Post subject: Recommend a book
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 23:12 

09 Aug 2011, 11:29

Hello people,
since we already have topics about game and film recommendations, I thought that there also should be a topic about books you really like and think that others should read, too. Now, I have to admit that I have only read a very few books (especially if you don't count those I had to read/am still reading for school), but here is my recommendation anyway:

by Eric Arthur Blair alias George Orwell
This is probably the first "real" book, that I wanted to read. Usually the people in my age read Harry Potter, which is fine don't get me wrong, but I was never interested in stuff like that. And then I stumbled upon this book and I'm so happy I did. This is really a classic, that everyone should have read, it blew my mind and made me think alot. It is basically about a man who lives in one of 3 huge totalitarian nations that are fighting against each other (and there's something really interesting to this war, that I won't spoil). The goverment is observing the civillians; there is a thought police and the goverment invented a new language that eliminates all rebellic thoughts. The book is very detailed and explains what the goverment(s) do(es) to keep everything the way it is. There is also a realistic (or at least for me believable) romance in the book and it gets really exciting and shocking(though it is actually quite shocking alot of times) towards the end. There's nothing negative about the book, that I can think of right now. I just personally love it and you should read it too.

Here is one of the best quotes of all time:
"War is peace, freedom is slavery and ignorance is strength"

So after my badly written recommendation(forgive me, it's quite late here in Germany now), I would love to see what you guys have to recommend.
I can't wait! :D

Post subject: Re: Recommend a book
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 22:11 

03 Oct 2009, 19:00

Dance Dance Dance - By Haruki Murakami

It's difficult to give an idea of what the book is about without spoiling it too much suffice to say that surealism runs through it powerfully. Probably best to put the summary from Amazon up as it doesn't spoil it too much.

High-class call girls billed to Mastercard. A psychic 13-year-old dropout with a passion for Talking Heads. A hunky matinee idol doomed to play dentists and teachers. A one-armed beach-combing poet, an uptight hotel clerk and one very bemused narrator caught in the web of advanced capitalist mayhem. Combine this offbeat cast of characters with Murakami's idiosyncratic prose and out comes Dance Dance Dance. It is an assault on the sense, part murder mystery, part metaphysical speculation; a fable for our times as catchy as a rock song blasting from the window of a sports car.

Despite the way the blurb presents it there is an atmosphere of dread and creepiness running throughout the book, tinged with regret and sorrow at times it is one of Murakami's finest.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 16:28 

09 Aug 2011, 11:29

So after a long time I've got another fantastic book to recommend.

Infinite Jest
by David Foster Wallace

This book, oh god this book, it is impossible to put this into words, the suffering genius David Foster Wallace, who sadly commited suicide three years ago - He wasn't able to defeat his manic depression, his medication called Nardil lost its effectiveness- wrote one monstrous, mind blowing novel, which turnes you into a better human being.
It is about everything and more, it is about depression, loneliness, drug abuse etc. the list goes on entlessiley and even though the basic tone is very sad, there is a lot of humor to be found in this over one thousand pages long novel. David Foster Wallace said : "Fiction is about what it's like to be a fucking human being" and what it is like to be alive and the goal of his writing was to make people feel less lonely.

It is not possible for me to describe the content of this book to you, I've not finished it yet, but even if I had it would still be impossible.

You have to read this, it will make you a better human being it will make you see the world with different eyes, it will expand your consciousness, this sounds very dramatic I know, but really you have to read it, it doesn't matter how long you need to finish it, as long as you read it!

I hope that someone will post a nother recommendation soon!
Thank you very much!

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2012, 15:10 

20 Feb 2010, 09:09

The Crooked Letter, by Sean Williams.

Seth and Hadrian Castillo, a pair of mirror twins (that is, identical twins, except one is left handed and has a heartbeat on the right-hand side), are vacationing in Europe when a cultist pulls them off their train, kills one and knocks the other unconscious. Then the world ends.

Then chapter two begins.

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 06:39 

20 May 2012, 05:12

Ender's Game
Scott Orson Card

It's about children being trained in the future to face an 'unseen' threat of invasion from aliens that had attacked years before and are likely to return. The story focuses on a young boy Andrew who was born as a 'third' because his country only allows two children per family. He grows up in a military regime where his superiors are constantly forcing him into otherwise impossible situations to see how he handles conflict. In his spare time he plays video games, but he begins to have trouble distinguishing the game from real life.

It manages to touch on lots of different points. I also found it to be an easy and leisurely read.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 09:20 

28 Aug 2012, 13:13

This book is so good, but so after a long time I've got another fantastic book to recommend.
Troubletwisters (2011) is the Troubletwisters Series It was launched in May 2011.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2012, 03:33 

30 Dec 2012, 03:31

the best book i read recently was Passport to Hell by Terry Daniels. It is the the true story of an English girl living in Spain who travels to Brazil with someone and unbeknown to her, her travel partner takes it upon himself to smuggle a load of cocaine back to Spain. He gets caught and the police think she was in on it because they mistranslate an entry from her diary. the bizarre thing is that whilst on bail for that, she somehow manages to get accused of terrorism in northern ireland after someone she know turns out to be a terrorist and stashes a bomb and some guns in her house without her knowing! it's the most unexpected twist ive ever read in any real life story. she eventually manages to clear her name but is locked up in seven different prisons first, including a few maximum security ones. very interesting to hear about all the different groups in the spanish prisons too like gypsies, ETA terrorists, latin americans, etc all co-existing. lots of twists including the mafia, corrupt judges and policemen, etc. heres the amazon for anyone whose interested http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-To-Hel ... 583&sr=8-1

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2012, 02:10 

03 Oct 2009, 19:00

That sounds really interesting!

Good recommendation :)

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2013, 07:28 

07 Oct 2013, 01:08

Stoner by John Williams is a book I recently read that I quite enjoyed. It has the rare distinction of being an American book written in the 1960's with "Stoner" in the title that has nothing to do with marijuana :wink: . The plot concerns English professor that lives a throughly ordinary life; he goes to college to learn agriculture but ends up studying English after an experience with Shakespeare, he marries a woman he soon realizes he doesn't love, he has a daughter that he becomes estranged from, and he ends up dying in obscurity leaving nothing to remember him except a moderately successful book about medieval poetry. It sounds boring, but Williams does such a remarkable job with capturing the characters and their motivations that the book becomes fascinating. It was more or less forgotten after it was published, but it's recently enjoyed a bit of renewed interest, so thankfully, there are plenty of copies floating around. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good book that's powerful without being overly sentimental.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable