[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Help! (spoilers)
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:27
 Post subject: Help! (spoilers)
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 01:17 

07 Oct 2013, 01:08

So I've been playing the game for a while now (I'm on the last house before the door on the level screen) and I've run into some trouble.

So here I am, once again in this transitory house

The light and clock appear, same as usual. I use the clock.

I go to enter the door...

Then, suddenly, game over.

No explanation, no nothing, just done. If I press continue, I'm brought back to the beginning of the section. This has happened four times now. I've tried to turn on all the lights, I've tried to explore the house, nothing helps. I can't help feeling that I've missed something very important. The white bar on the top of the screen ran out and I've only found one fragment of reality and one diary entry. Have I screwed myself through incompetence? Am I going to have to start all over in order to do things right? Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Help! (spoilers)
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 01:44 

14 Jun 2013, 10:13

My guess would be: you let the white crack at the top of your screen (which appears once you reached the monster on your mind map) fill.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 02:09 

02 May 2011, 22:27

Alas, yes, you have to start over. Seems like the majority of players (myself included) have encountered this kind of... ending. It just means that the character has gone mad. Looks like the white branch at the top of the screen is his sanity. So if it runs out, it's over. (Though some people said they continued playing even after it had been depleted... I don't know.)

I'm in the middle of my second walkthrough right now. From what I know, collecting diary pages and fragments of reality does help to get one of the 'good' endings. To get more fragments of reality you need to find the girl every time you go out into the forest.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 02:13 

Quote:
Alas, yes, you have to start over. Seems like the majority of players (myself included) have encountered this kind of... ending. It just means that the character has gone mad. Looks like the white branch at the top of the screen is his sanity. So if it runs out, it's over. (Though some people said they continued playing even after it had been depleted... I don't know.)

I'm in the middle of my second walkthrough right now. From what I know, collecting diary pages and fragments of reality does help to get one of the 'good' endings. To get more fragments of reality you need to find the girl every time you go out into the forest.
Thanks, that's a bit of a shame, but I guess I'll have to live with it

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 02:15 

I just got to a point where the giant monster got replaced by a giant nymph... almost had a heart attack when the house zoomed out.
Happened to any of you?
EDIT. Also, just found the diary - not the pages, but the whole thing.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 02:23 

Quote:
Happened to any of you?
Actually, that's good. Looks like you're on your way to the better ending.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 02:26 

Quote:
I just got to a point where the giant monster got replaced by a giant nymph... almost had a heart attack when the house zoomed out.
Happened to any of you?
EDIT. Also, just found the diary - not the pages, but the whole thing.
No but that sounds crazy

Got a screenshot?

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 03:07 

Quote:
No but that sounds crazy

Got a screenshot?
SPOILER

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 03:11 

Quote:
Quote:
No but that sounds crazy

Got a screenshot?
SPOILER
Holy crap

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 03:23 

Ok, just finished my second walkthrough. Got the aforementioned spoiler thing, five or six fragments of reality and complete diary, but still got a gameover upon leaving the final house. *sigh* Time for the third try tomorrow.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 03:25 

Just beaten the game. In my ending (highlight to read):
It's bright daylight. The lodger leaves the house and barricades the door. Outsite, there is this nymph (is she the girl from the journal?) waiting (normal size of course :)). They leave with each other and the house is claimed by forest's flora.
The credits roll and I can still explore the forest, now decorated with strange glowing runes.
Quote:
Ok, just finished my second walkthrough. Got the aforementioned spoiler thing, five or six fragments of reality and complete diary, but still got a gameover upon leaving the final house. *sigh* Time for the third try tomorrow.
I can PM you content of my 'autosave' registry key if you want. Don't know if that'll help, but we can try.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 03:47 

Quote:
I can PM you content of my 'autosave' registry key if you want. Don't know if that'll help, but we can try.
Thanks, but I still want to do it myself. :P I've got some ideas about what to do differently this time. Thanks for the offer, though. :) And congrats on beating the game.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 04:01 

Quote:
And congrats on beating the game.
Thanks :) Wonder if there are other endings (so far we have insanity and escape with nymph).

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 06:03 

Quote:
I can't help feeling like it's a bug or something, it just seems so abrupt when it happens

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 06:41 

What I did:
- Went after the girl on every possible ocasion.
- Found my diary (Lodger says how it looks like its covers are made of wood)
- Found the diary about some government organisation abducting children and a weird girl someone (the Lodger) was taking care of.
- Collected fragments of reality until they started to repeat themselves.
- Did not let the white bar fill.
- Did not let the black branches touch me in the forest (the ones that start appearing once the monster shows itself and grow every time you are in the woods).

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 07:24 

06 Oct 2013, 15:25

Wait, how do you find the diary?

I could only find a page of two everytime during day-time mode when switching on lights and the same during nighttime mode when I am remembering things.

Btw, when the black branches start appearing do I still have to search for the Nymph? Because later on as you said it becomes tough to navigate the forest with the branches growing and avoiding monsters.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 07:40 

I just checked the front door in the forest segments every time. Usually it was giving me that story about abducted children. Once, near the end, I got the real diary of the Lodger. He doesn't read it - just says he has found it.
Found the Nymph only once when the black branches appeared - but by that time the fragments were already repeating themselves (probably because of the corridor \ breach finds).

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 19:44 

23 Jun 2008, 13:01

There are two good endings - in the first one the Lodger leaves with the girl and in the other one the Lodger locks himself up in the cabin, and the bad insanity ending. I might be wrong, but the most important thing to get one of the good endings is restoring the house each night as much as you can, there's even a diary page that says something like "it's crucial that you meet the sunrise in a restored house", time isn't on your side and guests are not always your enemies. Second time I finished the game I got the "breaking the cycle" ending. I was switching time back and forth by collecting clocks and touching the visitors to get enough time to restore everything I can in each room, also I was trying to close as many breaches as I could. I wanted the second ending, but I got the first one most likely because I was collecting the pieces of reality from the girl.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 20:03 

I think, to avoid insanity you need to do as much as you can (looking for the girl, finding fragments, restoring rooms) on the levels before the monster. Because when the monster (and the white branch) appears, you need to be quick and careful to keep the Lodger sane. At least, that's my tactic now.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2013, 02:09 

24 Aug 2012, 03:57

I got the Dawn comes, Lodger has locked himself in house ending
I don't think I found the journal (though I found plenty of individual journal pages), I restored a moderate amount of the house but definitely not all of it, found the girl in the forest every time starting from when the black veins and guests appeared in the woods, and got up to the "fish with eyeball swims through Mc Escher-esque city" fragment.

(This is a fine title, excellent work IPL! Very glad I helped kickstart it.)

Quote:
I just checked the front door in the forest segments every time.
Do you mean turning on the light at your front door before touching the clock/venturing out into the forest?

Also, does the girl in the woods always give you a fragment? I started a new game and she just disappeared when I found her early on.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2013, 03:07 

23 Jun 2008, 13:01

Sometimes the girl disappears without showing you those visions, yes, that means the "real" girl is still somewhere out there and you need to look for her further.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2013, 04:13 

...and later in the game don't get her confused with Mr. Boxy and Ms. Leafy. Guess you shouldn't bump into those two.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2013, 23:07 

10 Oct 2013, 22:47

Quote:
Sometimes the girl disappears without showing you those visions, yes, that means the "real" girl is still somewhere out there and you need to look for her further.
How do i know if i got a fragment/item? I dont really have an inventory to look at (as far as i know) and i meet one girl that did show me some cutscene, looked like a globe with lots of numbers and some blue weird stuff where the pages seemed ripped.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2013, 23:19 

Quote:
How do i know if i got a fragment/item? I dont really have an inventory to look at (as far as i know) and i meet one girl that did show me some cutscene, looked like a globe with lots of numbers and some blue weird stuff where the pages seemed ripped.
If you see a cutscene, it means you've got a new fragment.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2013, 11:26 

29 Oct 2009, 03:30

Hrm, is there really nothing that can be done in this state?

on kickstarter,
Quote:
I played through and got to the last level. On the last level time stands still so there is never anything I can do but exit to the woods where I just become crazy (and lose.) I've touched the handle and gotten all but page six of the diary (it gave me the others up to page 11.) Can I still beat the game from this level or do I need to start over because I missed something?
Also, I like the game but would have liked to see a little more variety in activities and more ghosts (these additions would increase the replay value.) Besides that, however, I have enjoyed it and thought it gave a really good atmosphere.Good job.
to which Ice-pick responded,
Quote:
Of course you can, Steven.
Do's and don'ts must help. I guess we should have sent them earlier
I interpret that that there's something else us poor souls can do to avoid the abrupt game over, but hell if I can figure out what that is. ... or does it really mean "of course" you can start over from the beginning?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable