[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Feverish Feeling
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 08:35
 Post subject: Feverish Feeling
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2014, 17:24 

07 Oct 2013, 01:08

Quote:
PHASE 1

Let's put our heads together. Entering an email address causes a message from voronikav@hotmail.com. She references a secret that she won't reveal yet. She says however, that she will soon, probably when the Kickstarter date comes closer. A quick examination of the site (note; spamming tab to find clickable links like it was a Strongbad email) has uncovered http://feverishfeeling.com/secret/ in the thing being held on the left which will likely be the place to paste the secret once it's revealed. For shits and giggles, I made another account just to check the unsubscribe screen, but I couldn't find anything.

I love ARGs, hope we can get to the bottom of this one!

PHASE 2
Quote:
(Second attempt, because I assume I can't post links as a new user)

The quotation in Voronika's second e-mail is from Ovid's Tristia. "Tristia" is also the first keyword for the secret part of the site; it leads to a picture. Perhaps of Voronika?

Its filename is "first_secret_photo" so I'm sure we can expect more in the coming days.

Last edited by azorkus on 12 Aug 2014, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Feverish Feeling
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2014, 17:52 

19 Nov 2009, 15:42

I tried replying Voronika to see if she's really a living being as she claims. This might sound a little offensive, but putting this right in the letter topic isn't exactly convincing, especially for someone who seems to work like a regular newsletter with the option to unsubscribe. Here's what I wrote:
Quote:
Hi Voronika, I'm Umgenni.

I didn't expect a letter, but thank you for one anyway. You talking of a secret got me really intrigued, but I'd rather not wait too long to learn it. Though I understand your Internet connection is unstable, but maybe there is something I can do on my own already, especially since you mentioned you don't have much time.

Is really true that you are going to die? If so, I'm terribly sorry. I hope you don't mind me asking (though I'm sure you do, forgive me), how can you be so certain of your incoming death? Are you terminally ill?

Also, you mentioned a portfolio of your work. Where can I view it?

Oh, and yes, your feverishfeeling.com site is definitely up. Your computer skills still are fine.

Good luck with the rebellion,
Umgenni
Can't find any clues in her letter yet. The address she wrote from is voronikav@hotmail.com, wonder what does the last v stand for?

And since we're looking for clues, it's probably not important, but can anybody read the name on the bodytag from the video?

Attachments:
bodytag flipped resized.jpg
bodytag flipped resized.jpg [ 80.96 KiB | Viewed 33541 times ]
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2014, 18:40 

27 Aug 2006, 11:37

I find this secret page too. But have no idea what to do next. So I just subscribe this thread. And wait for new clues from Voronika.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2014, 14:43 

03 Oct 2009, 19:00

I'm itching for the fundraiser to start! :D

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 11:30 

I actually got a reply from "V Voronika" (as the sender shows up in my mailbox now)!
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for being nice. It's weird.
It's also sweet and annoying since it's not you I want to be nice.

I really hope you are doing well.

Yes, I'm ill. As for the date, I just feel it. I'll tell you more later.

Voronika,
http://feverishfeeling.com
I replied,
Quote:
Hi Voronika,

Thanks for the reply! Is somebody not being nice to you then? The other secret keepers? You said those people are special, in what way exactly?

Actually I'm a bit ill as well, but I visited a hospital and I'm currently undergoing antibiotic therapy, and I feel I'm recovering. You mentioned being "stuck in the middle of nowhere", are there enough opportunities for you to get some kind of therapy there? Modern medicine can really work wonders!

I await the time you can tell me more then.

May things get better for you,
Umgenni
In her first letter she writes the lines "One of my skills is dying" and then "At least they say I’m a decent artist". It reminds me a bit of Sylvia Plath's "Lady Lazarus":
Quote:
Dying
Is an art, like everything else.
I do it exceptionally well.
But I'm not really getting a suicidal vibe from the letters so far, is anyone?

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 19:48 

12 Jan 2014, 03:59

Hey. I may have missed something here and excuse my ignorance, but how is this related to Patholigc? Is it something to do with a new IPL game or a translation project?

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 19:50 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

Out of topic:

Is it me or is the forum eating all the even numbered posts???

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 19:55 
In Turgor!

Quote:
Hey. I may have missed something here and excuse my ignorance, but how is this related to Patholigc? Is it something to do with a new IPL game or a translation project?
It is an ARG about the Pathologic remake that was "announced" some time go. According to rummors, the Kickstart should start at the end of the countdown.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 20:39 

Quote:
Out of topic:

Is it me or is the forum eating all the even numbered posts???
I have same problem. Half of messages I see in topic. Other half I can see in bottom of reply form.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 16:42 

11 Aug 2014, 16:38

The quotation in Voronika's second e-mail is from Ovid's Tristia. Tristia is the first secret word.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 16:51 

The quotation in Voronika's second e-mail is from Ovid's Tristia. "Tristia" is also the first keyword for the secret part of the site; it leads to a picture. Perhaps of Voronika?

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 17:23 

23 Apr 2011, 23:05

Got an email this morning:
Quote:
Hi.

It was so obvious: leaving the city means throwing my life out of the window. A curious thought when your life is already thrown in a trash bin because of a diagnosis, huh?

Deadly diseases are all fuss and trouble. Doctors are lost, friends are found—every night another one comes by to drink and talk. They feel obliged to try and save me. They feel like they can.

Don’t waste your breath.

And still it felt like there’s no life beyond doctors and friends when I left. Getting somewhere without a car? Being unable to take a hot bath? Watching mosquitos dance in the air instead of a video podcast or a TV show?

Sounds horrific. It really does.

But somehow there’s only one thing I really miss: marchpane. There’s nothing else lacking on the bogs.

I’m sitting on my cabin’s steps right now. Somehow I managed lock myself out—was too eager to slam the door, I guess. I also guess it means now I have a reason to go to town and send you this letter.

When I was a girl, father used to say that once you’ve got a key, a matching door will strike your eye soon. I wonder if my current state is a key too. What’s the reason for all this? What do my fever and shivering unlock? How does a sesame that lies behind my coughing and nightmares look?

It doesn’t look and it doesn’t unlock. Poor Peter is bravely guarding the doors to nowhere.

Well, sine me, liber, ibis in urbem. You will go, my little book, without me to the city. Father loved these words—a shame I don’t remember where the quote comes from and can’t google it from here. Every quote is also a key though, and it unlocks something. Or maybe not the quote itself, but rather something that has to do with it. There’s a door out there waiting for every word. And something important’s most certainly waiting behind that door.

So don’t throw this little book away. The mystery will be unveiled a couple pages later.

Voronika,

P. S. When you see a half-naked girlish silhouette on a bog, don’t fool yourself into believing there’s a face behind her mask.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 20:03 

This photo looks like half.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 20:34 

It's tempting to think that Voronika is being established as one of the Steppe Dancers.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 21:39 
In Turgor!

I've heard rumors she might be the daughter of the Bachelor, mostly due to the fact his foundness for quoting latin.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 22:41 

Hmm, would that suggest the remake might actually be a sequel? :shock: Somehow I think it's improbable, but... So far, Pathologic's world looked like it was set in a period predating by at least several decades the modern times, in which Voronika clearly exists, so she doesn't seem fit for an in-game appearance. And if the last V from her mail address is an initial, then it's not right for either the last name or the patronymic (Voronika Daniilevna Dankovskaya?).

I've been wondering if there's something we can do with the first_secret_photo.jpg, but so far nothing. I tried opening it in notepad, looking for data in the file's properties, and url hacking the feverishfeeling site for next secret photos. Google reverse image search didn't help either, and the phrase "Do you remember?" is most famous as a Phil Collins song. So it seems there's nothing to do now but wait for more letters from Voronika.

I just wonder if we will learn only about her illness, or maybe there will be some searching for a cure involved as well? She's somewhere on the Steppe, is it the right time of year for gathering twyre?

Last edited by Umgenni Kemo on 12 Aug 2014, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 03:43 

07 Oct 2013, 01:08

Quote:

Well done, updated the OP
Quote:
I've heard rumors she might be the daughter of the Bachelor, mostly due to the fact his foundness for quoting latin.
Good thought, we just need a brutish and a mystic daughter to complete the trio :)

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 11:19 

Voronika replied to my letter again:
Quote:
Hi,

It's not that. It just feels weird that someone can be nice to a bunch of digits on the internet and that a bunch of degets can feel it.

I've tried therapy. It doesn't work. I ran here so that I don't infect anyone. There's no one here on the bogs.

Cruelty is what makes the people I talk about special.

Hope you get better soon.

Voronika,
And here's what I went with this time:
Quote:
Hello Voronika,

I'm getting better by the day, it's just that I'm lacking strength. But I believe it'll return to me eventually.

Kindness should not be that strange or surprising. It comes easy, especially on the Internet. But the net is just an extension of humanity. Through here everything has less impact, less meaning.

And it's the same for cruelty. The Internet is full of easy-coming, careless malice. But it doesn't inflict as much harm as it can when people meet face to face. It's hard to infect someone through the Internet. Is this what it's about? Are the 'special' people ill like you, but only you went away, and they remain knowingly infecting others?

You still have time until september. Maybe if conventional medicine failed, you can (if you want) still try alternative means? There might be something in remote areas (like where you are right now) the world still doesn't know about. If you find some local herbalist or a shaman even maybe there's something they can try? It might at the very least be interesting and/or fun.

And I have an apology to make. I have posted our correspondence on a message board. There are people there who found your feverishfeeling website. We all want to learn more and thus I've been passing on your words. We found the photo of a girl reading a book, the words "Do you remember?" written on the side. Who is she?

Take care,
Umgenni
The important information is that she is infectious. And it seems that this is it, the secret is that the illness is out there and there are people spreading it. It remains to be seen if there's anything we might be able to do about it.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2014, 15:28 

Sooo, there's a new mail from Voronika, and this time it's really mysterious, I really wonder about the details of her encounter with the "boy", did he really infect her? How? Also, "dad and his, erm, colleagues"? After the theories it makes me now think about Dankovski's Tanathica.

But even though most of the letter is vague, Voronika gives a really specific date and address. I looked for it on Google Maps, it seems the building is actually numbered 16-18 and now there's a pharmacy there (http://aptekapelya.ru/), and entering from the building's side, the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Economy and Finances of something that was once called North-West Academy of Public Administration, but now Google search leads me to the name of North-West Institute of Management of the Russian Federation Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration. Any ideas how to find out what was there sixteen years ago?

I also checked if anything significant happened on July 31st 1998, but so far found nothing.

Anyway, if Voronika was a little girl in 1998, now she's probably twenty-something.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2014, 17:48 

It's not easy to search on English about this place. But if you google on Russian you can easily find that Poehl pharmacy connected with the Griffins' tower, city legend. You can read more here, hereand here. And watch here. But I can't find any clue what happened here in 31 july 1998. Still looking.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2014, 19:28 

Oh, that is interesting, 19th century pharmacists supposedly dabbling in alchemy and seeking immortality could tie in neatly with Pathologic's lore. Invisible griffins and wish-granting maybe not so much, but who knows? The numbers got painted on pretty recently, but still before the date specified by Voronika, so they could be somewhat relevant too.

The most curious thing is that people who live there wanted the tower demolished because it was too popular with tourists. Great way to treat historical heritage.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 23:24 

A forwarded reply I got today containing a section from someone elses message:

Hi,

I know how the internet works, thank you. You are correct: I have no idea who you are and why you’re interested. I also mean no offence. I just know I wouldn’t care for you, so why would you care for me?

Why would anyone care for anyone else? Is there a reason at all?

Yet people do.

I thought it wasn’t simple biology until recently. But it’s just our cute and desperate herding instinct. And instincts don’t matter in the end.

Voronika,

P. S. Your optimistic postcard quote is taken out of context. Here’s a quote back.

You can't act death. The fact of it is nothing to do with seeing it happen — it's not gasps and blood and falling about — that isn't what makes it death. It's just a man failing to reappear, that's all — now you see him, now you don't, that's the only thing that's real.

Our guide getting a mention?

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 10:55 

As one of the e-mails mentioned, the best place to discuss this is here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pathologic/comm ... emake_arg/

The latest e-mail has been cracked there, leads to these two videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_ykvAcYdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BRjZkjq560

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 14:30 

This time Voronika gave us an actual puzzle to crack, and the good (and quite brilliant) people at reddit that were linked to in her previous mail already did. The solution to the puzzle is described there, and the results are two youtube videos posted by "The Person". They are unfortunately in Russian, but there are already some rough translations at the reddit page. And we gain two new characters, a so far unnamed journalist, and a doctor-on-duty, Yakob Fokin, who also appeared in the first Feverish Feeling video. Can't find anything in Google about dr. Fokin, and he's not present on Facebook either (there are a few Yakovs, but no Yakob).

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2014, 17:51 

Here... we... go....! :D

Probably spent more than I should :oops: :D

I was itching for a boxed edition of the game but I'll take the extra doo dahs and odds and ends :D

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable