[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Pathological mods..
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:55
 Post subject: Pathological mods..
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 18:26 

04 Sep 2006, 16:09

:D
one of the main drawbacks for me whilst original playing the game thru was the excellerated passage of time..whilst i know this is a critical elemnt that drives the player thru the game as a lot of objectives are made tougher by the time limtations
most tasks have a time limit of one day game time..

i thought the game would play very differently if the game time was slower (even in real time perhaps)
as this is the essense of what modding is generaly about and i am a fan of modding games
here's a small mod method that gives you control over just how fast the in game time passes....

go to the main

\Buka\Pathologic\data folder and

open the INIT.CFG

(with notepad/wordpad etc right click/open with/select wordpad from the list)

find the

gt_speed 2

entry towards the bottom of the list

and edit it to a higher number if you want the in game clock to
run slower
or edit it to a lower number if you want the in game clock to run faster
(thus altering the gameplay dramaticaly either way)

thus you can hugely alter the amount of time you have to achieve each daily objective..

how this affects other factors in the game i do not know...maybe it will become impossible as you may starve to death too easily or perhaps your need to rest may be affected dramatically along with it...have absolutely no idea as i have not had chance to play the game thru using the edited time settings..it all depends i suppose on just how many factors are directly tied to the actual speed of the in game clock..does your fatigue rate slow/speed up along with the adjusted gametime settings etc etc.. . ..but maybe that's the fun of it...finding out...kinda in keeping with the spirit of the game do you agree..anyhuw it does provide another way to play the game adding further to the replay value with any luck :D

good hunting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007, 23:45 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Heh, great trick - try to beat the game when 1 day = half an hour - it's about the minimal time for a 100% completion. )

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 00:04 

Cheers LxR :D
tho i must admit i was thinking more in terms of going the other way :oops: :)
i've set the game up to run at pretty much real time (1 hr = circa 1 hour)

which is

gt_speed 8

using the extra time available to fully explore the city and all it's possible choices...leaving the main plot and objectives to run a little like the Oblivion storyline (in the back ground so to speak)...follow all the side quests etc and well just see what trouble i can get into (and out of) whilst trying to survive and so on

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 00:15 
Старый Добрый Эль

Cheers! )
I think that's a bit too much - When I was playing the game for the third time I've manager to do all the quests and side quests like in half an hour with a few exceptions, and then just idle in the streets, killing people and rooting through folk's trash. :-D Maybe I'm just hardcore %)

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 02:06 

arghh....didn't realise it was ..like..a competition :oops: I must stop thinking of games as art...I must stop thinking of games as art...only kidding :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 02:54 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
arghh....didn't realise it was ..like..a competition :oops: I must stop thinking of games as art...I must stop thinking of games as art...only kidding :P
Oh... Oops. )) I didn't mean to compete - I just meant that there isn't all that mush to explore, unfortunatelly :(

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007, 15:16 

:D there's plenty to do if you allow for a dash of imagination...find the rare items...try to earn enough money to buy the more expensive items from old "what's 'is name" ...i think the game functions very well if played as a "survival horror" game...as surviving in pathologic is a very complex procedure due to the excellent health hunger fatigure infection etc system..huge inprovement on most games simple "health bar" set up..and probably asides from the storyline the best aspect of the game.. :D

as with most games there are goals that are not allways deliberately written into the gameplay as compulsory...the best games are not afraid to allow the player to define his/her own goals..the really good games allow the player to do this without deliberate prompting simply by giving the player freedom of action..(ie the "other" goals are not merely "hidden" goals but actualy genuine in game possible choices)

the extra time allowed by the mod frees the player up to "pan about" for alternative self defined goals..whilst as far as i can tell not breaking the main storyline

he he! have some belief in your own game perhaps it's better than you thought :shock: :wink: :D

not every-one on the face of the planet plays games merely to say they have "beaten" the game...in fact to be honest beating the game is the least interesting aspect of gaming AFAIK :?: :?
anyhuw Pathologic is either deliberatly or accidentaly a great game...not sure which at the moment :? (or wether it matters one way or the other..all of which actualy fits well with the storyline..given a moments thought..which is what i was hoping was intended).. but thanks for making it either way!!! :D :? it is thought provoking..

that's the thing with art...you have no control over what people think whilst they're viewing/participating in it
that's the principle difference between art and propoganda don't you think? :idea:

too many games try to strictly control/exploit the motivation of the player by forcing a certain set of "reasons for playing" on the player..."beating the game" being one of those reasons/motivations..there ARE other reasons for playing games..and AFAIK those other reaons are the future of gaming...(if indeed it has a future) outside of big buisness anyway

anyhuw all a bit over serious perhaps..lol.. but what the hey..

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable