[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • art and art
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:11
 Post subject: art and art
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2006, 17:08 

04 Sep 2006, 16:09

:D hope i've understood the basis behind the forum? i'll have a go to start the ball rolling??

games consist of images displayed on a 2d plane ie the computer screen...

wander round an ART gallery and we can view images displayed upon a 2d plane ie canvas..paint pixels whats the difference ..none AFAIk

we buy prints artwork paintings that we assume will inspire us and we hang them on our walls...
when we play a computer game we often see images which if displayed as a screenshot fullfill the same role as a piece of purchased artwork...

print out a screenshot and frame it hang it on the wall and you'll see what i mean..

if there is any profound implication at all in ART then the same should in theory apply to the screenshot..

that's it really...if anything limits the capacity of games to create some of the more profound psychological effects associated with fine art then it is the motivational thrust of the game it self that is the limit....blow things up...kill or be killed...nothing other than the player has any real significance at all within the game world...

i believe that creating a game world that will function with integrity regardless of what the player does or does not do may allow for something extra to germinate..occasionaly games have been tied to the computer clock...you play the game at night in real time and the game will be set at night when you play etc...driving games use it occasionaly

maybe a game with a plot could be tried that ran in real time and here's the trick..even whilst the player was not actualy playing the game...lol...leaving the player to dip in and out of the game world as and when he cooses and live the plot out from the point of view of being no more or less vital to the plot line than any of the NPC's...

he can make him/her self more or less vital to the plotline by his/her action inaction but nothing will be tied inalienably to the players decisions..

being able even to run the game 100% of the time as an active desktop wallpaper and even as part of the computer operating sytem..desktop theme taken to the logical conclusion....lol maybe

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2006, 18:15 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Quote:
hope i've understood the basis behind the forum? i'll have a go to start the ball rolling??
Well, you have, I guess. The forum is dedicated to all in computer games that can be considered art and also the methods, that affect the player of the game effectively. ) I'd reply to the rest on you post in a bit - tired as hell right now... ) Also, I hope, that I'll be able to post our leads whitepaper on this matter, only don't know when. )

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2006, 18:34 

cheers!
was hoping i hadn't put my foot in it...
one of things i really like about pathologic is the concept that if you the player do not complete the main objective then one of your adherants will do the job...this seems to me to be the key to the thing...
only thing i can think of of the top of my head right now is perhaps a similar large scale city where the player as a detective (one of many in the city) is offered a job and if he declines the job then the case will be taken up by one of the AI detectives in the game...i hve often wondered if theyre could be some cross over between multiplayer and single player gaming with this concept..if say the player could log onto a server and download information which up-dates the game
(in the same way as flight sims allow you to download real world weather into your game)
you may be able to download the progress of another human player's character within the same city --he is working on a different case as depicted by some randomisation process....but perhaps some where as in pathologic all cases contain one small jigsaw piece that can be built up over time to reveal a picture of what is going on withint the city...
using multiplayer capabilitys in a strictly limited way to allow for the sense of human occupation of the city without any of the hang ups that are assocaited with it...(no one can tell you what's going to happen next for example) you simply download some stored text files that up date certain conditions within the game conversations etc according to the actions of the the other human players....this could be optonal of course..allowing for choice...play it vannilla orgo on line download the files and play it with up dated human intervention as and when you wish..uploading your own stored text files in the process-

not art as such but when it comes to computer games it's hard to know where to draw the line..and as art should be evolving then perhaps it is the experience of "something" that makes it ART...and games do provide experiences--those experience are only limited by the imagination of the developer..(Patholgic is a unique experience nice one!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 00:27 

err ok :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 12:59 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Sorry for not replying - I just don't have enough time to carefully read it and think it over. ) I will definitely do that tomorrow, so, please, no offence. )

---- Alexander Pope

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable