[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Stereotypes
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:35
 Post subject: Stereotypes
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2009, 14:10 

25 Feb 2007, 00:40

I’d like to learn whether you got interested in Russia after playing Pathologic, ‘cause Russians are taught that most foreigners share a common prejudges that Russia is a country of gypsies, wild bears and endless snowfields. I won’t say that it’s not, but it’s definitely more than that. So, if you have any questions about our culture I’d be glad to indulge you.
No use to cry quarter!

If you do not describe your attack in a gloriously cinematic fashion, the difficulty increases one step. (c)

Post subject: Re: Stereotypes
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 06:58 

14 Jan 2009, 19:18

Maybe more from the game Cryostasis than anything, then again that's about north pole than russia, but close. Still, russians made that game.

My question is do russians ride snow mobiles and is there a game out like that? That's made in russia.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 11:31 

They do at the northern regions where winter lasts 9 of 12 months, dunno about the game though.
No use to cry quarter!

If you do not describe your attack in a gloriously cinematic fashion, the difficulty increases one step. (c)

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 19:43 
Бессмысленный и беспощадный

21 May 2006, 19:45

Not only in northern regions, but in the Far East and Siberia too. Despite of the short winter, that lasts just ( :lol: ) for 5-6 months, there is a lot of snow, especially in the woods. So, woodcutters, foresters and other people who live in the woods use showmobiles.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 22:52 

We also do it for fun in the Western parts.
No use to cry quarter!

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2009, 23:42 

21 Apr 2008, 10:42

I base my image of Russia entirely on the movie "Nightwatch".

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2009, 01:42 

20 Jan 2007, 19:47

:lol:

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 20:53 

Thinking of England Harry Potter comes to mind.
No use to cry quarter!

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 20:56 

20 Jan 2007, 19:47

Also: Cups of tea, cricket and football hooligans.

Oh, and teenage pregnancies.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 21:00 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

Quote:
Also: Cups of tea, cricket and football hooligans.

Oh, and teenage pregnancies.
Tea time ol'chap, jolly good :D

I think eggs and bacon and I think of the UK.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 21:02 

Back in school I was taught of fish and chips and started every answer with "London is the capital of Great Britain" line. It worked for my teacher.
No use to cry quarter!

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2009, 15:33 

01 Apr 2009, 13:53

Quote:
I’d like to learn whether you got interested in Russia after playing Pathologic
Yeah, I guess. Except I never made it very far into Pathologic; I loved the fact that it was a very different game, uncompromising and challenging in a way that most "western" games I've played aren't, but I simply couldn't understand the translation. I really wanted to enjoy it, but finally I couldn't take not knowing what people were saying to me.
Quote:
Russians are taught that most foreigners share a common prejudges that Russia is a country of gypsies, wild bears and endless snowfields.
I'm not sure about the gypsies and the bears, but my mental picture of Russia is that it's a complicated place with huge differences- between one region and another, between rich and poor, between city and countryside. Also a more dangerous/violent place than western Europe: we read news about political murders of journalists, and Chechnya, and corruption, and I have an acquaintance who left the country because she didn't want to raise her kid there (can't remember which city she left). But that's one side of the picture, and on the other there are economic growth, artistic innovation, etc.

So tell me more!

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009, 21:39 

08 Jun 2009, 20:44

Well, the Chechen Republic it only one small, far and unfortunately restless region of huge Russia. The basic problem that at times judge Russia on separately taken persons and regions, but it is important to understand the main thing - Russia is huge. In its European part the standard of living is high enough, and for example on caucasus region it is very low. Besides Russia occupy not only Russians there are also Tatars, and Chechens, Kabardians, Adighes, Mordvinians, Karelians, Saami and still great variety of the nationalities. Each of them has theyr own language, culture, religion and traditions. At some nationalities of Russia have still remained such traditions as the blood feud, just as vendetta on Sicily, but even these cases are faster an exception than a rule.

In the opinion of all other world we at times appear as set of all these private negative factors, as forms such impartial portrait of the country as a whole. Well and certainly the role the USSR, thanks to which Russia long time remained the closed country, that has generated many ridiculous hearings and stereotypes. From news it is possible to judge position of separate regions of Russia, but not the country as a whole.

We are not so bad ;).

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable