[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Translation - Items - Page 3
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:09
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2007, 16:50 

02 Aug 2007, 14:33

Sure, thank you for the suggestion. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2007, 16:19 

Last item! (Though there are still a few that need further work).. In this context:
Quote:
'ЧЕРТЕЖИ АНДРЕЯ СТАМАТИНА. Это дополнение к чертежам Многогранника. Здесь изображены схемы убийственного фундамента, посредством которого Башня, противоречащая законам физики и геометрии, была утверждена на земле. К чертежам приложены все сопутствующие расчеты.
could someone explain to me what is meant by "убийственного"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2007, 17:54 
Бессмысленный и беспощадный

21 May 2006, 19:45

Quote:
could someone explain to me what is meant by "убийственного"?
Plain translation is "killing", "deadly", "murderous", but it also means "outstanding", "incredible". So, I think, that here is two meanings: incredible, because it's impossible and deadly, because it hurts earth and causes the decease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 03:17 

Right, thank you! I didn't realise what it did - never got far enough into the game (because of the translation.. :lol: ). That makes sense now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 12:08 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Quote:
Right, thank you! I didn't realise what it did - never got far enough into the game (because of the translation.. :lol: ). That makes sense now.
I think the word "killer" might be appropriate - the expression "a killer foundation" makes sence. ))

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 15:28 

That's definitely a possibility - my only reservation would be that "killer" (meaning "incredible" or "fantastic") is a little modern and colloquial for the feel of the game, but it's probably the closest translation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 15:38 

Okay! Here are my few final queries and then I'll be done with the items and will pass them over for proofing! :)

Could the word "stem" (meaning this) be replaced with "sprig" (meaning a stem/branch/offshoot with leaves etc still attached)? Or is there a particular reason for using "stem"?

What does the last sentence in
Quote:
ЧЕРТЕЖИ ПЕТРА СТАМАТИНА. Переложенные листами кальки рабочие чертежи Многогранника, снабженные подробным описанием конструкции. К ним приложены пожелтевшие от времени списки из трактатов по оптике, в том числе на других языках. Производят впечатление отдельного памятника человеческой мысли.
mean? LxR, you said you might re-translate this. :)

What does "It is considered, that water from the urban sources flows in the drinkable fountains and the water-pumps" (WhiteWind's translation) mean? I don't understand the use of the word "considered".

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 15:43 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
That's definitely a possibility - my only reservation would be that "killer" (meaning "incredible" or "fantastic") is a little modern and colloquial for the feel of the game, but it's probably the closest translation.
Well, there was a thread somewhere on Russian forum concerning when and where the game took place - it's, actually, quite close to a distant province in the 50-ies... So I think it might be OK.

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 20:26 

Quote:
I don't understand the use of the word "considered".
I've been waiting for LxR to help me, because I'm not sure that I gave right translation :oops:

Well, let's try other way (not quite correct):
Everyone knows, that water from the urban sources flows in the drinkable fountains and the water-pumps

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2007, 06:18 

Quote:
I've been waiting for LxR to help me, because I'm not sure that I gave right translation :oops:
Don't worry too much! Your English is much better than my Russian. :wink:

Okay, here's a suggestion - could you confirm that I'm correctly interpreting the meaning of the original Russian?
Quote:
EMPTY BOTTLE. This bottle could be useful for carrying spring water. Such water is in demand among the townspeople, especially those who have overindulged in other beverages - it's simply the best drink for quenching thirst. The town's water supply is accessible from the drinkable fountains and water-pumps, and there is water from the spring Sugag Khadug in wooden barrels around the town.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2007, 16:19 

Yes, it fits quite good

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2007, 17:22 

Great, thanks. :)

I still have a couple of unanswered questions - not trying to rush anyone, just making sure you remember they're there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2007, 18:08 

Quote:
Could the word "stem" (meaning this) be replaced with "sprig" (meaning a stem/branch/offshoot with leaves etc still attached)? Or is there a particular reason for using "stem"?
AFAIK, there is no details about the name of this house in the game. It's just called "Стержень", that's all. "Стержень" may be translated as stem, rod, shank, stick and even core (figurative). Choose which you like ^)
Quote:
What does the last sentence in
Quote:
ЧЕРТЕЖИ ПЕТРА СТАМАТИНА. Переложенные листами кальки рабочие чертежи Многогранника, снабженные подробным описанием конструкции. К ним приложены пожелтевшие от времени списки из трактатов по оптике, в том числе на других языках. Производят впечатление отдельного памятника человеческой мысли.
mean? LxR, you said you might re-translate this. :)
It's too hard to me, I give up. I can do only plain translation word to word, but it's already done in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 04:10 

Quote:
AFAIK, there is no details about the name of this house in the game. It's just called "Ñòåðæåíü", that's all. "Ñòåðæåíü" may be translated as stem, rod, shank, stick and even core (figurative). Choose which you like ^)
Ooh, sorry, I was a bit ambiguous there - I was actually referring to the herbal recipes (e.g. "HERBAL RECIPE #1. One stem of black twyre.."), not the house.
Quote:
It's too hard to me, I give up. I can do only plain translation word to word, but it's already done in the game.
Don't worry, I'm sure someone will know! :) It seems like the concept referred to is pretty abstract..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 07:35 

29 Aug 2004, 16:52

The last sentence in
Quote:
means:
"These drawings leave an impression they are a masterpice of human thought themselves" (they would have been masterpice even if the Polyhedron had not been built).

Word-by-word translation is:
"Make an impression of separate monument of human thought (or mind)"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 08:43 

Quote:
"These drawings leave an impression they are a masterpice of human thought themselves" (they would have been masterpice even if the Polyhedron had not been built).
Wonderful! :D Thanks, that was very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 14:27 

Okay! My final draft of the items is here - I'd appreciate it a lot if someone could glance through it and make sure I haven't lost the meaning of the original Russian. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 18:37 

27 Sep 2007, 18:32

Quote:
A few corrections, if you can forgive me me for barging in:
"These drawings leave the impression that they are masterpieces of human thought themselves"

(Mind you, I don't speak a word of Russian, so I'm basing these corrections purely on your initial translation)

EDIT: Oh, I see that you've already corrected those issues in the items-list. So pardon for the unnecessary intrusion. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 19:08 
Старый Добрый Эль

Hey, no problem - you're always welcome to help. )) If you have the time, maybe you could proof-read something?

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 19:10 

29 Aug 2004, 16:52

My post was just an explanation. I don't translate dialogues and descriptions myself because I am not a native speaker. Thanks anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 19:56 

Mikkel, you are always welcome - two heads are better than one, three ones are better than two, etc :)
You may introduce yourself here, it does not mean that you *should* help us.
Since there is no wage for this translation, there is no assumption that you should help us. But your help is really needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 21:34 
Quote:
Hey, no problem - you're always welcome to help. )) If you have the time, maybe you could proof-read something?
I'll gladly help, though I must my time is presently rather limited, so I cannot promise speedy delivery.

Quote:
My post was just an explanation. I don't translate dialogues and descriptions myself because I am not a native speaker. Thanks anyway.
Yeah. Sorry for misunderstanding the context your post. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 22:00 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
I'll gladly help, though I must my time is presently rather limited, so I cannot promise speedy delivery.
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 22:44 

27 Sep 2007, 18:32

Quote:
Quote:
My pleasure. :)

Though apparently, my time is so limited that I do not have enough of it to even write complete sentences. There should have been a "warn that" in there. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 23:09 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My pleasure. :)

Though apparently, my time is so limited that I do not have enough of it to even write complete sentences. There should have been a "warn that" in there. :oops:
It'sscientifically proven, thathumans read words and sentences whole, not by elements, so I haven't even noticed ))

---- Alexander Pope

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable