[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • 4. other
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 08:32
 Post subject: 4. other
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2007, 16:37 

27 Sep 2007, 18:32

In "vdankobirdmaskdead.xls" the text refers to "the dead". This is a reference to the victims of the plague right? The reason why I ask is that it is used in singular later ("But the dead is not Simon"), making it possible that it refers to a single person.

"Неси свою стражу" is translated to "Keep guarding". I assume that this is the player asking the NPC to continue to watch over the dead, right?

When it speaks of "spirit", does it mean the soul of a person? I.e. the bachelor cannot bind/connect a soul to a dead body (matter).

Also, how literal do you want the translation to be? For instance, "Здесь нет живых. Это место принадлежит мертвым" is translated to "There are no living here. This place belongs to the dead". While the original translation is understandable (though "beings" should probably be added, such that it says "no living beings here"), a more elegant way of saying it (provided that I understood the intent correctly) would be as follows:
"This place is not for the living, it belongs to the dead."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2007, 22:14 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Quote:
In "vdankobirdmaskdead.xls" the text refers to "the dead". This is a reference to the victims of the plague right? The reason why I ask is that it is used in singular later ("But the dead is not Simon"), making it possible that it refers to a single person.
This file is the dialogues between the player and a Birdmask guarding the door of a dead Adherent. I think it should be redone, as I don't like how dead sounds - maybe "deceased", since the person has died recently...
Quote:
"Неси свою стражу" is translated to "Keep guarding". I assume that this is the player asking the NPC to continue to watch over the dead, right?
This is the player's answer to the mask. The meaning you've said is right.
Quote:
When it speaks of "spirit", does it mean the soul of a person? I.e. the bachelor cannot bind/connect a soul to a dead body (matter).
Yep, soul. Teh words have the same root in Russian, so are often used as synonims.
Quote:
Also, how literal do you want the translation to be? For instance, "Здесь нет живых. Это место принадлежит мертвым" is translated to "There are no living here. This place belongs to the dead". While the original translation is understandable (though "beings" should probably be added, such that it says "no living beings here"), a more elegant way of saying it (provided that I understood the intent correctly) would be as follows:
"This place is not for the living, it belongs to the dead."
Well, I think that'll do.. The reason for such "missing" words is that Russian is very versatile in omiting stuff without a significant loss of meaning. In most cases it's OK to restore words like that.

---- Alexander Pope

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable