[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • 'A Whole New World' - Resolution Magazine article
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:36
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 00:23 

20 Jan 2007, 19:47

I thought this warranted a topic of its own: An absolutely brilliant article by Lewis Denby that looks at three games - The Void, Pathologic and Zeno Clash. It has some wonderful quotes from Nikolay Dybowskiy, and is essential reading for any fan:

http://resolution-magazine.co.uk/conten ... new-world/

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 01:18 

07 Jan 2010, 16:05

Quote:
But even with the game’s astonishing creativity, Dybowskiy is somewhat disappointed by the result. “Unfortunately, we didn’t build up enough courage - and strength in our battles with the publisher - to make The Void the way it was planned. What we got in the end is a compromise, and this wasn’t good for the game at all. The initial idea, the way it pops up in your head, the way it first achieves its integrity, is always the best.”
That's curious. What was the original plan? If this was mentioned on the forum or somewhere before, drop me a link (I can read Russian) as I must've missed it.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 02:30 

03 Dec 2009, 02:38

Intriuging comment. I'd also be curious to know what the planned idea of the Void was - it cant be anything more surreal than the end result. The human mind wouldn't be able to understand it without exploding.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 02:32 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

Woudln't Turgor be more close to the desired version?

Also, Dybowskiy should come to the English forums :D

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 02:36 

03 Dec 2009, 02:38

Quote:
Woudln't Turgor be more close to the desired version?

Also, Dybowskiy should come to the English forums :D
This.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 03:02 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Imagine Dungeoun Keeper + Fallout + Okami + Dating Sim. That's the Void in the original.
Of course, not exactly that, but quite close. I'll look for older desdocs... ;)

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 03:04 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

Only the dungeon keeper part is missing :P

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 06:02 

14 Jan 2010, 05:15

Quote:
Quote:
But even with the game’s astonishing creativity, Dybowskiy is somewhat disappointed by the result. “Unfortunately, we didn’t build up enough courage - and strength in our battles with the publisher - to make The Void the way it was planned. What we got in the end is a compromise, and this wasn’t good for the game at all. The initial idea, the way it pops up in your head, the way it first achieves its integrity, is always the best.”
That's curious. What was the original plan? If this was mentioned on the forum or somewhere before, drop me a link (I can read Russian) as I must've missed it.
Yes it's always sad when a true new and experimental idea gets downgraded to an uninspired mainstream product, but I think we can in this case be very happy with the result. Maybe we would have been even happier witht he original idea, but maybe the investors have now gained enough trust in the company that they will allow such things to be made :)

Would indeed be cool to hear more about the original idea though ^^

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 23:24 

05 Jan 2010, 19:21

I think the void turned out brilliant and very original. If you're telling me it was actually supposed to be better, it just makes me sad over the current state of the games industry.

But info on how it originally was supposed to be would still be very interesting.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable