[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Is Cargo! over and done with?
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 00:17
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 19:16 

27 Jun 2011, 20:58

Now that Cargo is in the stores, is the project over as far as the devs are concerned or are you still considering to "do something with it" ?

I have never bought DLC for a game before but more vehicle parts for Cargo!, I would actually want that!
That is, if it's downloadable content.
For many games, the "DLC" (I'm looking at you, EA!) is way overpriced crap that has absolutely no additional functionality.

With Cargo you have a stable - and currently somewhat empty - platform that could easily have a few additional functions.

Such a DLC package should each include / enable at least one unique well... thing... that the others do not have.
Throw in a bunch of new building blocks to add spice.

For instance, one could have a rocket engine.
A very powerful all-environments engine that can only be turned on off. No ramping up to full power. It's all or nothing.
Only applies thrust in one direction as well. It cannot reverse unless you install a second rocket blasting forward.
That would allow for some crazy driving.

Another DLC could add a "joint" that can have engines attached and this function attached to either hotkeys or icons on the screen.
One could build a hovercrane with a claw to pickup / drop things, a swimming dump truck to dump a whole cargo of pianos into the maelstrom at once...

But what I'm really missing in Cargo is the ability to do something with vehicles.
You can ram penguins and umm... well... ram penguins I guess.
There is absolutely nothing that needs to be pushed / towed / lifted / transported / recovered from the seabed / rammed / toppled. An icebreaker could clear a path for waterfraft in winter or just break the ice so it can be picked up and used as building blocks...
A caterpillar of sorts could "mine" dirt in a dirt quarry, allowing you to use the earth blocks or sheets as material to build stationary things.

All you can do with your vehicles is driving them around aimlessly.

Part of the reason why Minecraft became such a success is that you can do something with what you build.
A house / fortress keeps the nasties out, a mine gives you access to fancier minerals, allowing you to build even more...

In Cargo you can build (vehicles) and then... it stops. The only thing to do with these vehicles is to dismantle them.

I think that Cargo has a lot more potential. Maybe more than you realise.
There are very very very few games that let you build something, then operate it in a (mostly =) physically correct world!

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2011, 11:13 

27 Jun 2011, 20:58

Oh well, I guess that's a yes.

Pity.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2011, 16:19 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Hey, Gazz!
The team is currently on its' deserved vacation, but after that - who knows? The game indeed has potential - extra parts, vehicle customization, sharing vessels with friends and such was inititally planned. Can't promise anything, but we're thinking about it.

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 19:24 

12 Mar 2011, 22:44

Look at Tracmania and add some "race tracs" editor. Especially for planes and motorboats! (By the way, why there are only car races in the Cargo?)

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011, 02:08 

23 Jun 2008, 13:01

I think the first thing that needs to be added is space. There's no point in rocket engines, additional parts and whatsoever when the game's world is so small.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable