[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • The Basic Question
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:19
 Post subject: The Basic Question
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2014, 22:58 

17 Sep 2014, 15:44

A very short question for the developers: how much will playing the original game "spoil" the remake? If anyone on this forum had not played (or completed) Pathologic, should they withdraw from any attempts to do so and patiently await the reincarnation, or simply dive in, safe in the knowledge that any and all changes to the plot shall be numerous and significant?

Post subject: Re: The Basic Question
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2014, 08:44 

18 Sep 2014, 08:39

I'm not entirely sure that I'd want new content in the remake, personally (and I'm a little confused as to why you've got three posts that could be condensed into one).

In a lot of ways, when it comes to the English translation, there's a boat load of new content, since half of it was gibberish in the original. A decent translation and updated graphics is, really, more than enough to justify the costs of backing this.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 03:39 

18 Nov 2007, 17:44

It is a very long and involved game. Even if the remake tries to recapture the artistic sense (which is more important than graphics) and tries to capture the writing of the original (which is extensive) it will come out differently - such is art.

I suspect that the sequel will have much less text for instance... I hope it'll have as much as the original though. In any case - it is enough of an experience that, if you like the game at all, you'll like playing the original and whatever the team invents next. So I wouldn't worry about it - play the original and enjoy!

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 13:03 

20 May 2012, 05:12

While the characters are quite difficult to understand I do hope that the nature of how the characters speak is unchanged. Even the little Russian expressions which are difficult to grasp yet humbling in their simplicity are very flavoursome to the atmosphere. One in particular I remember "much cry and little wool" which means to make a loud and attention seeking advertisement for something but that something is actually of little value or quantity.

Some of the text in the original game is straight up broken with non-english or... not even letters. Literally you'd have a character tell you "Tonight there will b3484*@#*0*@# 939i59359kacd9kc929 9cd9qw" and you're supposed to nod your head and understand what was just told to you.

So yes, I would think that for the most part waiting for the translation might be best if you don't have the patience to deal with the bugs in the original.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable