[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Cargo! Makes No. 3 in My Top 15 Most Anticipated
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:54
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 20:54 

20 Nov 2009, 19:55

Hi all,

I'm a long time fan of Ice Pick's output, so much so that Cargo! has made No.2 in my list of most exciting narrative-driven games. For the write up and full list, just visit:

http://tom-jubert.blogspot.com/2010/07/ ... no_10.html

I really believe independent developers like Ice Pick deserve all the recognition we can garner for them, so I hope you enjoy what you read.

Tom Jubert
Narrative Designer, Penumbra Series

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 12:24 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Thanks for the metion!

I, on the other hand, am eagerly awaiting the release of Amnesia - it looks as just the type of horror game that I like. Hopefully, you'll knock Call of Cthulhu from the first place of the most frightening games ever. ;) Good luck with that!

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 21:28 

18 Nov 2007, 17:44

He he, I was just about to recommend Penumbra to LxR and then I properly read all of the first post.

Both of the games mentioned are very clever in their forcing the player to look away from objects in the game (but I believe the effect is much better in Penumbra - there is nothing more paralysing than having to look away from an active threat).

I actually had to disable the dogs (through editing their behaviour files) - the accurate modelling and well chosen sound recordings really played on my instinctual response to wolf attacks. The adrenal effect never decreased no matter how soon I reloaded.

It was very unhealthy ;)

Anyway, I'm really glad to see Frictional Games is still alive and pushing the boundaries of computer game genres (much like IPL).

Tom Jubert: A quick question if you don't mind - any idea what the wolves eating in Penumbra? I assumed spiders.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2010, 16:43 

20 Nov 2009, 19:55

LOL, good question. Obviously the right answer is that we had a thorough background document detailing every aspect of the environment and food chain.

The more honest answer is I imagine they would have foraging small animal life inside the mines, and that they may have made trips to the surface as well.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 06:42 

18 Nov 2007, 17:44

Thanks for the answer - I'd always assumed the spiders were the base of the food chain (eating larval spiders, which eat smaller mites, which eat fungi). I'd always wondered how animals could get to surface food considering that I was on a one-way trip with no means of returning to the daylight (wolves have secret passages right?)

The giant worms of doom are more of a problem. Maybe they dig their way deep enough to get near to the volcanoes and have sulfur fixing bacteria as symbionts - only being drawn to the surface for extra "vitamin pills" in the form of unwary wolves.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable