[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • Suggestions on other titles to play? - Page 2
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:10
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 15:59 

04 Jul 2010, 14:58

I strongly recommend Outcry (aka Sublustrum). The atmosphere, storyline, graphics, gameplay, soundtrack - everything is simply breathtaking.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 19:10 

03 Oct 2009, 19:00

@GodlessXVIII

:o I thought Perimiter was just a figment of my imagination! I never could get my head round it but at the same time there was something special about what it was aiming for.

Homeworld 2, it's sat to the right of me now, it takes something special to pull of the scape and scale that it does. I vaguely remember the first one using Adagio for Strings on its trailer and it not feeling overblown or pompous in the least! :) Did you ever get the chance to try Nexus The Jupiter Incident? Smaller scale but so well formed.

Never got round to Sacrifice though. I remember smiling at Populous the Beginning though. Earth 2150 The Moon Project is worth a look is you feel like managing the minutae of a war machine as well as getting stuck into the combat as well.

Dungeon Keeper has to get a mention too :D

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2010, 16:38 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

Mandatory to everyone remotely considered a gamer:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2010, 00:09 

21 Sep 2008, 16:38

for gameplay fun i ll recommend Populous: The Beginning (edit: oops it is mentioned ^^)

for humour and happyness..great voice-overs and nice world - Anachronox (i m very disappointed that at the moment all fansites are dead..this game is awesome..btw, there is one of the best work with camera)

also +1 to Omikron&Outcast

About Psychonauts - it's just genius :)

If u want jrpg - Chrono Trigger is not annoying. it is very epic..also Parasite Eve 1 is soulful (second is just an action-horror fuuu)
===========================================
And if u are looking for serious dramatic visual novel - Saya No Uta

P.S. for interesting visual style and smth deep hiding in arcade-like - there is Killer 7

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 12:05 
In Turgor!

Two words.

Yume Nikki!

Any change IPL can hire the creator? :D

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011, 02:06 

25 Feb 2007, 00:40

***ATTN every1***

Absolutely try Winter Voices.

Trailer here.
No use to cry quarter!

If you do not describe your attack in a gloriously cinematic fashion, the difficulty increases one step. (c)

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 22:52 

Winter Voices certainly looks to be a curiosity in terms of the way your skills are geared towards overcoming grief. The trial is certainly worth playing. I've heard complaints about the use of Adobe Air but they're just grouchy and need to cheer up.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 15:40 

29 Oct 2009, 14:30

Morrowind - Bethesda's last good game. It feels a bit like Pathologic; even the theme of a plague/disease is similar

Arcanum - Really fun RPG that mixes up standard high fantasy with Victorian England. Great worldbuilding and writing.

Mount & Blade: Warband - open action RPG without any fantasy elements. Surprisingly fun to play

Outcast - Action-adventure set in an alien world. Good worldbuilding

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 19:31 

21 Sep 2008, 16:38

Also for great plot wich could be have different interpretations: Flower, Sun and Rain (though original was Japan-only on PS2, there is english [e]/ version for Nintendo DS (wich is emulated good..).

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 21:10 

Quote:
Morrowind - Bethesda's last good game. It feels a bit like Pathologic; even the theme of a plague/disease is similar

Arcanum - Really fun RPG that mixes up standard high fantasy with Victorian England. Great worldbuilding and writing.

Mount & Blade: Warband - open action RPG without any fantasy elements. Surprisingly fun to play

Outcast - Action-adventure set in an alien world. Good worldbuilding
Morrowind has claimed far more time than I would freely admit for me. Love it though on the condition that it's chock full of mods.

Outcast, you forgot the wonderful sense of humour that it has! An absolute gem of a title with a truly gorgeous score.

Just as a suggestion for others, give XIII a try. A short and stylish shooter that has oodles of charm.

Plus: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/battle_i ... ndosia_war

Yaaaaayyyyy!

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 12:17 

09 Aug 2011, 11:29

Hi guys, this is my first post in this forum! :D
Wow, there are a lot of good suggestions here.
I personally recommend a HL2 EP2 mod (and of course the Half-Life series itself) called Radiator, it was the first game that showed me what games can be (you know, more than just shooting dudes in the face). It's semi episodic, two episodes have been realesed yet and the creator is working really hard on the next one, but he has also alot of other stuff to do, that's why it takes him quite long.
Also I recommend Heavy Rain, it has alot of problems (uncanny valley, inconsequent, arguably misogynist, etc.), but also has some very memorisable scenes and is one of the few games I know that handles violence in a mature way.
Also I recommend Norrland, the less you know about it the better 8) . It's laso free, just like Radiator.
Another game I recommend is Red Orchestra, a multiplayer game, it comes quite close to being an anti-war game. It forces you in an indirect way to work together with your team and to use real life strategies from war. Its fights are really intense and the atmosphere is quite bleak. A sequel is comming out next month (Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad).
I have another one, Flower made by thatgamecompany, it's a very interesting and relaxing game for the ps3 that uses innovative controls and gives you a cool feeling in general. And I can't wait for their next game Journey that will come out this year. It has huge beautiful landscapes and an interesting new coop/mmo feature (don't worry it won't kill the immersion nor the atmosphere, the developers made that impossible). Also the way you move in this game is really cool. And damm it just looks gorgeous, such an amazing artstyle!

Link to the page of the creator of Radiator: http://www.radiator.debacle.us/
Link to Norrland: http://cactusquid.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... loads.html (download link beneath the second trailer)
Link to an interesting article about Red Orchestra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2545 ... lowers.php
Link to the Flower trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJam5Auwj1E
Link to the Journey trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boPHncFbmII

You have to check out Stephen Lavelle's (sorry if I misspelled his name here) website, there are alot of tiny, free, experimental games made by him.
Link: http://www.increpare.com/

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2011, 05:57 

Quote:
Also I recommend Norrland, the less you know about it the better 8) . It's laso free, just like Radiator.
Norrland!! I've been trying to get others to play this as well. It's perfect at what it sets out to do. It just has to find it's right audience is all as if you're not open towards it then you'll only find it infuriating/irritating/unecessary.

I thought it was great though. :D

I remember giving the first Red Orchestra a go (when it was still a mod) and enjoying that a lot, even when it was just against the bots. Air Buccaners was another great mod from that phase.

The Half-Life series is a sore point for me, so many intriguing mods but at least for me a distinctly dull and average original game/s. Steam is an even bigger thorn in the side for me but less said about that the better.

As a suggestion for those reading this. If you've given Limbo a try then perhaps "Coma" may be worth playing also. Nowhere near as gloomy as Limbo but a charming flash game in it's own right.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/541124

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2011, 11:28 

Yes Norrland is really interesting, I told my friends about it and they thought I was crazy because I play such weird/disturbing games.

Whut y u no like Half-Life?! Ok, just kidding... but you have to keep in mind that the Half-Life series rescued us from the Quake era. It introduced story telling to the FPS genre and physics to gaming. So it has defenitly a place in gaming history. But I have to admit, that I've never played through HL2EP2 and I'm not sure why I just stopped after a while even though I quiet enjoyed it.

Hlaf-Life is worth buying just for the mods and the mod community!

I personally like steam alot, it has great offers (look at the Steam summer camp that was this summer, it was insane) and I think it helps the indies to be seen. I have all my games in a list and don't have to look for the boxes in my room. And I think that digital distribution is the future (look at Xbox Live, PSN etc.) so I recommand you to have steam installed. In general you can trust Valve they're cool!

I've played coma, that was really awesome! Such a charming and interesting game....

Also I just played Minecraft recently, it's so good! I see it as an exercise in creativity, you can build the house of your dreams, without being limited by gravity. You can explore huge caves and big landscapes (that seem quiet surreal sometimes, because the world is randomly generated), if you have a vision of a house you would like to make, perhabs with a big garden and a waterfall then go ahead and do it! And the work you have to put in it makes it even better.

Gmod is also a game you should check out, the community did some insanse modding (without the mods it isn't as half as good) they added new props, game modes and some quiet complex stuff, too (wire mod). It's quiet a hilarious game.

Dwarf Fortress is probably one of the most insane, complex, ambitious and sadly inaccessible games that exist. It really shows the strength of the medium and probably it shows the weaknesses too. I tried to play, but I gave up, but I think I'll try again, when my PC works properly again.
One of the few truly non-linear games that exist, just look for Dwarf Fortress storys that players experienced.

A game that is kind of similar to Dwarf Fortress is Space Station 13 it's also very complex, ambitious and sadly very inaccessible. The diffrences are that it takes place in a space station, that it is a multiplayer game where every player has a job and that it is probably the only game I know where I got chocked, then fucked in the skull and finally got made into steak by a mad engenieer and a mad cook.

And Frozen Synapse is very intersting too. A very strategic game, you should try out the demo!

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 15:54 

The issue for me was always that I had no problem with the Doom/Quake era and had no desire to be rescued from it. I'd love to see a continuance of the Unreal series with a third title that carried on the atmosphere, speed and dynamics of the first Unreal. Only when Stalker and Fear were released did I feel that they were finally getting the hang of leading with narrative. The story felt dreadfully shoehorned in with an irrelevant mute "character" in Half-Life. The pacing made my teeth grate, quite enjoyed Opposing Force though, the atmosphere was more tense and it felt more focused. The mod community created some absolutely fantastic creations though, particular favourites were Paranoia (great pacing and atmosphere that Half-Life ought to have had) Afraid of Monsters and They Hunger stood out particularly to me.

Steam, great idea in theory, needs more tweaks and options to be useful for me, particularly choosing what patch version I wish to use or roll back to a previous version (for mod compatability) and offline mode is still unreliable also. No patience for Valve in general though. Would much rather my money goes to developers such as CD Projekt Red, Ice-Pick Lodge, Introversion.

GoG.com has done it pretty much ideally for me. I look forward to people asking, "why not just put the installer on a disc and give it to me?" (for free)

GoG is at a low price, loads of bonus extras, no drm, friendly and supportive community why on earth would I kick sand in their face by pirating it?!

Ooh! I gave Frozen Synapse a try, nice art style but just left me bored by the gameplay. Andosia War and Close Combat III scratch my strategy/combat itch.

I've been trying to track down a small dungeon crawler where you'd flip the axis you moved on to attack from different directions, that was quite enjoyable. Wish I could find it again.

Dwarf Fortress sits to one side waiting to be tried. It'll take some concentration and effort to get my head round it but will be worth it.

Have a look for OneMrBeans Flash games, they're beautiful and touching. Also worth a look is Judith for a nice little horror themed game. Mondo Medicals is a peculiar little maze game that's also worth trying for its atmosphere.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 00:41 
In Turgor!

Dwarf Fortress is a must :D Use the mayday tileset pack.

Also, I recomended Yume Nikki in the past, but for those without patience to play it, I recomend seeing this: http://lparchive.org/Yume-Nikki/

And regarding GoG:

:D

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 01:39 

20 Jan 2007, 19:47

Wow :shock: Throdax, you are a GOGaholic! Impressive collection.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 01:52 
In Turgor!

And I still have around 7 more games on the wishlist :)

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 12:57 

So pretty! :D

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2011, 14:43 

I would also like to recommend Far Cry 2 designed by Clint Hocking, at first glance it looks just like another generic shooter, but it does small step in the right direction. You know, I could write a long text about it, but I rather give you a link to a video, where a smart guy called Anthony Burch talks about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMcJwvbVXLM

Btw: Yume Nikki is really interesting. I played it, not for very long though. I think I should start playing it again.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2011, 09:21 

02 May 2010, 12:40

I must admit that I tried, but couldn't get into Yume Nikki. Got bored of endless aimless walking before anything interesting happened. What am I doing wrong? :( (haha, I bet a few people said the same thing about Pathologic)

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2011, 13:10 

20 Jan 2007, 19:47

Quote:
(haha, I bet a few people said the same thing about Pathologic)
Hehe! :lol:

So this isn't just a 'LOL' post, I will recommend a few small indie titles:

* Displaced - Experiment in non-linear narrative that's also full of weird, trashy b-movie goodness. Short, flawed, interesting and worth playing at least TWICE.

* don't take it personally babe, it just ain't your story - High school drama, visual novel style! With some nice twists, of course.

* Zenith - Lovely, pastelly remake of Jeff Crammond's all-time classic 'The Sentinel'.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2011, 20:41 

Quote:

* don't take it personally babe, it just ain't your story - High school drama, visual novel style! With some nice twists, of course.
Yes this! Also check out Kataw Shoujo.

Has anyone been giving Dead Cyborg a try?

http://deadcyborg.com/

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 01:46 

25 Feb 2007, 00:40

Watching this atm. Looks promising.
No use to cry quarter!

If you do not describe your attack in a gloriously cinematic fashion, the difficulty increases one step. (c)

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 14:46 
In Turgor!

Quote:
I must admit that I tried, but couldn't get into Yume Nikki. Got bored of endless aimless walking before anything interesting happened. What am I doing wrong? :( (haha, I bet a few people said the same thing about Pathologic)

http://lparchive.org/Yume-Nikki/

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 21:59 

07 Jun 2009, 22:42

Rock of Ages!

By ACE Team, the creators of Zeno Clash.
Buy it, now. :D

Steam store link:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22230/

If you want to see a first impressions video (nearly 20-30 minutes of gameplay):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA5w55Qi ... ture=feedu

The vid is by the famous Cynical Brit.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable