[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • 3D Realms R.I.P.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:05
 Post subject: 3D Realms R.I.P.
PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 21:08 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Good night, sweet prince!

---- Alexander Pope

Post subject: Re: 3D Realms R.I.P.
PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 21:39 

20 Jan 2007, 19:47

This is really sad news.

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 11:08 
Бессмысленный и беспощадный

21 May 2006, 19:45

It makes me sad, but russian game portal AG.RU says that there is a bit of hope:
Quote:
All personnel of studio is dismissed, however Duke Nukem is still alive. Publishing house Deep Silver has hastened to declare that closing 3D Realms will not affect in any way developing Duke Nukem Trilogy for NDS/PSP which goes at full speed inside the Frontline Studios and Apogee Software LLC. Take-Two Interactive, in turn, has reminded that it owns the rights to publish Duke Nukem Forever, even in spite of the fact that 3DR independently financed this project all last years.
P.S. Sorry, I had to use the online translator, but I tried to fix it's mistakes :oops:

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 13:12 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

Isn't Duke Nukem forever as plausible as the second comming of christ? :lol:

/me lowers his head.

Good Night 3D Realms, she was a fine lass.

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 14:30 

It is a real shame. However (call me crazy :wink: ), I do believe that the mythical Duke Nukem Forever was finally getting close to completion. And I think there's still a decent chance that another team will complete it and it will see the light of day.

In the meantime, I bought this, as some way of showing my respect :)

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 02:42 

18 Feb 2009, 13:51

Nice to see no comments of the "LOL. SERVES THEM RIGHT!" here. I am more than a little sad and while the news wasn't exactly unexpected, I was always holding out hope that Duke would return with some of that old-school FPS action and, like hydra9, I really thought this iteration was close to being finished. Hopefully someone else, maybe one of the Rockstars perhaps, can pick it up and finish it.

I must get around to picking up the Atomic Edition on GoG since my CD has long since died!

Last edited by Angel Dust on 12 May 2009, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 15:10 

This just in:

3 minutes of DNF footage.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 22:28 
Старый Добрый Эль

Oh, god damn it, why. :( It was such a fun game from the looks...

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 04:17 

The intrigue continues... This could be nothing much, or it could be something big...

http://twitter.com/ApogeeSoftware/status/1747381530

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 13:35 

That's probably just about the upcoming Duke Nukem Trilogy for the PSP but I won't deny I'm hoping for something else. :p

There are some new leaked hi-res screenshots, about 28 of them, here. Amongst them are some vehicle sections including what looks like a shrink-rayed Duke getting around a mansion in a remote control car. Goddamit!

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 14:09 

Quote:
That's probably just about the upcoming Duke Nukem Trilogy for the PSP but I won't deny I'm hoping for something else. :p
Me too :) I know it's *probably* about the Trilogy, but then again... Something about the timing and the wording of that message makes me suspicious 8)
Quote:
There are some new leaked hi-res screenshots, about 28 of them, here. Amongst them are some vehicle sections including what looks like a shrink-rayed Duke getting around a mansion in a remote control car. Goddamit!
:shock: Wow! Duke chasing a piggy in a mine cart. Careering around a mansion in his RC buggy... This looks awesome.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2009, 13:52 

The latest in the DNF saga. It appears that Duke Begins, the game that 3dRealms recieved $2.5 million from Take 2 for, was to be developed by Gearbox and released mid 2010. Apparently development was under way and has currently ceased while the suit is resolved. So I guess this would make Gearbox the likely developers to take over and finish DNF should it come to that?

Also a Facebook account for Duke Nukem was created by Scott Miller, it has been confirmed by himself on various Duke forums, and new shots for DNF released on it, which you can see here (I must say that the second dam screenshot, particularly the foreground, looks seriously ropey). The account has now been disabled by Facebook for the reasons detailed by Miller below:
Quote:
FB doesn't allow Friend pages for fictional people. They just don't realize Duke is Real! ;-)

Duke will start an Official Fan Page next week...

Scott Miller
http://www.RadarGroup.com
I have no idea what to make of this. Previously all post-downsizing leaked media was from ex-employee portfolios, thereby clearing 3dRealms of responsibility, but this is from Scott Miller himself. 3dRealms have been very mum on everything since the suit began so releasing DNF media now is rather bizarre. One theory is that it's for the upcoming Duke Nukem Trilogy for the DS but quotes like this
Quote:
If you haven’t heard, [Duke] took a little break, but is back in the game now
and the fact that the DNF is displayed on the second set of shots, which were released after the forums where full of "Are these shots from DNF?", seem to counter this. 3dRealms have always said that development continues on DNF, despite the fact that most of the team has been let go, so perhaps these are to prove that. Or perhaps an agreement has been, or is in the process of being, reached between Take 2? Or is this just a desperate, flailing attempt from a dying studio to keep the flame alive? I would tend to be believe the latter if it was Broussard behind this but Miller has always struck me as the more level-headed one so now I have no clue as to what's going on :P

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 17:42 
Старый Добрый Эль

Learn to Let Go: How Success Killed Duke Nukem
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/f ... ukem/all/1

Interesting article on how one should maintain a balance between perfection (=working until the result is good) and reality (=planning well).

---- Alexander Pope

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable