[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • STALKER Call of Prypiat
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:47
 Post subject: STALKER Call of Prypiat
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 11:36 

04 Feb 2009, 17:38

I understand it was already released in Russia, can any of you fellow Russians tell us about it? It seems it's also bug-ridden, like the previous episodes lol, is it true?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 12:15 
Старый Добрый Эль

03 Apr 2005, 20:32

Quote:
I understand it was already released in Russia, can any of you fellow Russians tell us about it? It seems it's also bug-ridden, like the previous episodes lol, is it true?
It hasn't been released yet, but it appeared in the torrents. So far, it's the best installment in the series. there are only three locations, but they're all new, huge and packed with detail. Have only noticed two bugs yet, which is awesome. The graphics are upgraded for newer hardware. Very addictive to play, quite balanced, but... once again it sucks to see the game revolve around criminals and idiots, when it could have been a top-notch atmospheric RPG.

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 14:02 

Hopefully we'll see a major overhaul in the true sequel, whenever that comes out

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 15:10 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
Hopefully we'll see a major overhaul in the true sequel, whenever that comes out
I don't think so - it'll not match the Ukrainian target audience. :)
Anyhow, Call of Pripyat is the best installment in the series so far, and I can say that I'm enjoying it. If you liked any of the previous STALKER games you should give it a go!

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 08:11 

18 Feb 2009, 13:51

How is the writing and the quests? I'm not expecting Ice-Pick level narrative/characterisation or anything but it there at least some character in this and are the quests interesting? I really liked STALKER for the atmosphere and solid shooter gameplay but it was a pity that they created this fabulous environment and populated it with some of the most bland NPCs/quests this side of Bethesda.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 08:34 
Старый Добрый Эль

The quests are multi-step and quite interesting - as I've said, everything has gotten a lot better, but not THAT good. ;)

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 18:36 

25 Feb 2007, 00:40

I never liked STALKER and the call of prypyat looks as crappy as any other stalker installment IMO. Even maxed out settings add no flavours ('xcept for FPS drop). I just can't force myself to play it.
No use to cry quarter!

If you do not describe your attack in a gloriously cinematic fashion, the difficulty increases one step. (c)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 11:39 
Старый Добрый Эль

I just finished STALKER yesterday and I'm convinced that this is a near-perfect game, that will get a lot of ~9 marks in both Russian and Western press, unlike the first two installments. Now, I'm not a big fan neither of modern shooters (Since, there hasn't been much new ideas in them since Duke Nukem 3D ;) I'm exaggerating, of course, but it's close to that.) nor the criminal ghetto atmosphere that tends to get into the game a lot, but if it's all right with you, this game is made for you.

GSC took a different approach to developing the world this time — there are only three maps (all new) in the game, but they are huge and full of detail. Almost any part of the map has a point of interest, be it an anomaly where you can hunt for artifacts, a creepy location with mad inhabitants, a secret place with a boss encounter or whatever — there's a lot more interactivity to the game than before. The balancing of the game is perfect - the difficulty settings work great, and there are no annoying small nuances like having to stop for a breather every five seconds to restore stamina. The player advances and becomes stronger gradually through engaging in all the possible activities: completing quests, finding rare artifacts for his own good, buying better weapons and upgrading them, etc...

When I think about the game in general, it reminds me of Fallout 3 a lot, only based in Russia.
And, oh, the endings are done like in Fallout 2! At the very end you will be told the story of every important character you met in the game, and their fate will change, depending on what quests you've completed and how! This sold me to write this small review. ;)

So, a must-buy, definitely.

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 15:35 

How long does it take to finish the game?

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 16:13 
Старый Добрый Эль

Quote:
How long does it take to finish the game?
It's rather short, defintelly not as much room for exploration as in Fallout 3. But i'd say around 18 - 24 hours if you play normally, and do 75% of the side quests.

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 23:08 

20 Jan 2007, 19:47

Alright... Here's a question:

If I were only going to play one STALKER game, should it be this one? (Also: Does it assume knowledge of the previous games?)

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 15:41 
Старый Добрый Эль

Definitely, this one. No knowledge of other games is required, you can play the storyline separately.

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 19:36 

Good :D Thanks for your mini-review, btw. I've owned the original STALKER for years, tried to play it several times and always been stopped by something (hardware problems, mod problems, etc.) - I think I'll skip straight to Call of Prypiat.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 19:39 
Старый Добрый Эль

That should do the trick! :)
Also, I think I know why everything is so good - they're also produced by bitComposer and it looks like did the same level of quality control as with us. )

---- Alexander Pope

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 19:45 

Cool :) The same is also true of Scorpion: Disfigured, of course.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 15:20 

13 Aug 2008, 11:55

Call of Pripyat is a pretty good game. If you played Clear Sky, you know that it was a very crappy prequel. There are far less bugs in Call of Pripyat and storyline is not that bad. There is a very big world at last. Faction relations are balanced, but bump maps are still ugly and unreal. Anyway, I recommend this game, but creators of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. should change the game engine / create a new one. I know it's very difficult to do, but the game would be great and stable.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 14:40 

25 Dec 2009, 18:31

Quote:
Quote:
The graphics are upgraded for newer hardware. Very addictive to play, quite balanced, but... once again it sucks to see the game revolve around criminals and idiots, when it could have been a top-notch atmospheric RPG.
Yes, that's definitely true. The Stalker series has all the ingredients needed to create a wonderful gloomy atmosphere, but the characters (criminals, soldiers etc.) are uninteresting and the corresponding dialogs are infantile and unintelligent.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 20:39 

Just played a bit of the official English release and I'm fairly impressed. Even though the maps are about 3 times bigger than the original, it loads 3 times faster (!). It runs much better than CS, which for some reason was a resource-whore. Graphics are pretty much the same, although this time the AA seems to actually work. Gameplay seems the game (and that's a good thing)

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 19:22 

My copy of the game should be arriving tomorrow :) Hopefully this will be the first STALKER game that I play through from start to finish.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 07:26 

03 Oct 2009, 19:00

Picked up Call of Pripyat and something hit me straight off. The textures of the maps just felt bland which had a knock on effect (for me) with the general feeling of the maps compared to the previous two Stalker titles. Not sure if anyone else has felt this but theres a winter mod already out for it on Stalkers Filefront http://stalker.filefront.com/file/White_Mod;108051

It's even more bleak than in vanilla but it somehow seems more appropriate. What are everyone elses feelings so far on the environments in Call of Pripyat?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 23:59 

:shock: That mod looks lovely! It makes me want to play it right now.

Sadly I can't comment. Must - finish - Psychonauts.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 00:43 

03 Dec 2009, 02:38

Tried Shadow of Chernobyl after being pestered repeatedly by a friend of mine but tbh I really can't see the big draw with it. The interface is not very user friendly and I found myself giving a lot earlier than perhaps I should have done.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 22:51 

03 Oct 2009, 19:00

For what it's worth Call of Pripyat is a lot easier and more user friendly compared to Shadow of Chernobyl, hot keys and a more ergonomic inventory do a lot to help.

Might be worth a look at Lost Alpha http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha, there's a lot of potential there, seeing as you already have Shadow of Chernobyl would mean getting some extra mileage out of it.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable