[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ice-Pick Lodge forums • The Void: Unofficial FAQ.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:44
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2009, 02:12 
In Turgor!

01 Sep 2008, 06:09

This is an effort to try and streamline the questions coming through. If you have any question, post it here to facility access to others.

==Purchasing The Void and the different game versions==
Q: Where can I buy The Void?
A: The Void is available to buy from Mamba Games, Play.com, Amazon.co.uk.

Q: All those sellers are European based, what if I don't live in Europe?
A: Gamersgate, Direct 2 Drive and Steam have the DD version of The Void

Q: With all the diferent version that The Void had, is the English version censured, especially considered it is PEGI 12+?
A: The English version IS NOT censored in any way or form from the German, Polish and Russian version. The only diference is that Nameless Sister starts with chain, just like all the other sisters.

Q: What are the differences between the various versions of the game (Russian, Polish, German, English)?
A: This has been answered in this thread.

==Game Fixes==
Q: I get motion sickness when playing The Void. Any way I can avoid this?
A: Halfgild made a fix to the head bobbing in game. Just download here and follow the instructions contained

Q: The game is too hard!
A: You can try using the official cheats found here to make it easier.

Q: I don't like to use cheats, any other way?
A: A fan has made a patch adjusting the amounts of colour received. You can download it here. Alternatively I've made and easy and medium patch to the game difficulty, download which one you like and follow the install instructions on the same post.

==General Gameplay==
Q: I keep running out of Colour, what am I doing wrong?
A: There could be several things. The main thing you have to remember is that the more hearts you have filled with colour, the more colour you will process and the more colour you will loose. Consider going into life support mode if you are low on colour; fill one heart, at maximum two hearts, so you can slow down the process of lympha processing.

Q: Random colour drops are so small, where do I get more colour?
A: Your best option earlier in game would be to plant a garden with your excess colour.

Q: How do I plant a garden?
A: You need to fill up trees with the donor glyphs. When hit a tree with slash of colour you go into a mode where you can draw the donor glyph. As you draw the glyph you'll see a bar in the lower left corner fill up. When it starts to blink it means that the tree is at maxium capacity and you can finish drawing the donor glyph.

Q: Do these trees last forever?
A: A tree filled with colour, no matter what amount, will last around three cycle before running dry. When that happens it takes a few more cycles for the that tree to be available again.
A2: It depends on tree, really. Small ones in "Fireflies" last 1 cycle (if I remember correctly), and trees in the first garden work for 5 cycles, though only a few of them give large income.

Q: Help! The Brothers keep ravaging my garden.
A: Well you have two options there: either beat them to the garden and take out all the colour (yet the brother still ravages your garden and your trees become unusable); activate a trap on the garden to drive them away; or, later in the game, challenge the brother to a dual a kill him.

Q: How do I setup a trap?
A: Most gardens have some kind of sharp rock or object that can serve as a trap. When you get near it, you will see a kind of red trident appear on screen with two numbers: (xx/yy). XX is the amount of colour applied to the trap, YY is the colour the trap needs to become active. To give colour to a trap, just draw strokes of colour (no glyph required) while the trident is on colour.

Q: I cannot find a trap for this garden!
A: Bear in mind that some gardens do not have traps, yet remember that time doesn't flow inside the chamber so, barring other predators, that your time to explore every nook and cranny of the chamber.
A2: In Yani's garden look for a sticking snag. The same in Ole's garden.

Q: I failed a quest assigned by a brother, what will happen?
A: Get ready to fight. ;)

Q: Sisters take too long to open up their hearts. Can I do something?
A: Before feeding a sister with colour, make sure you fill yourself with the most gold possible. That will reduce the amount of colour you need to open up a sister heart.

Q: What happens if I kill a sister?
A: Well, as expect it will stay dead, which can be dangerous if you haven't open up her second heart yet.

Q: Any tips to save on colour?
A: A good tip is that the more violet you have in your hearts, the less colour you actually use while planting a tree.

Q: I can't find any veins in the mines!
A: First make sure you don't have the ATI bug here. If you don't have that bug, remember that veins can be anywhere: walls, floors and ceilings, also some veins can be pretty small so keep your eyes open.

Q: Why can't I find traps in my mines?
A: Don't worry brothers don't take colour from veins.
A2: If I am correct, they don't take colour from veins, but the do so from your harpoons collecting the lympha from veins.

Q: A fight is coming, how do I get ready?
A: Well, there are three good advices. First fill yourself with colour in you palette. If you need a good rush of colour remember to use amber in your hearts as it speed the transformation process and fill as much hearts as possible. Secondly always keep enough colour in your hearts as those will be your life points in a fight.
A2: Also it is mindful to boost up the characteristics you may need in the fight. Filling yourself with Gold or Violet is pretty useless, while Amarant (increases damage) and Azure (increases your movement speed) will surely come in handy. Note that some brothers deal almost no damage since the moment you understand how to fight them, so Emerald (increasing your defence) won't probably be of much use with these brothers.

Q: I draw Donor glyph to revive the tree, but the game says "You should have used Donor..." as though I have failed.
A: This means the game cannot recognize your glyph. Which is bad, because only a fraction of used lympha will be used by tree to grow and bear fruit. The demonstration video shows quite an an unusual way to draw the symbol. Actually you need to draw a horizontal loop-shaped symbol with two ends on the right, and no more (only keep the tails long enough). You may also draw a long line left and down, then make a small loop and draw a long line to the right, slightly bent downwards. All that is considered "Donor" in the game is a combination of these two in some proportion. Remember also to draw your symbols big, because the game takes small symbols for mere strokes of lympha (to put it into some object), and doesn't perform recognition on them.
Here is the video I recorded to aid you in drawing the glyph: here . It is important to learn how to draw it effectively and quick, because you are probably going to draw it a lot during the course of the game.

Q: After Ole's first appearance I can't move any more.
A: The map just panned out, you can more the map around by click and holding the right mouse button and moving it around, you can also zoom in and out using the mouse wheel.

==Quest==
Q: I keep failing the mine quest given by Mantid. What am I doing wrong?
A: Remember that the quest involved two mines. One in the Nameless Sister realm and the other in Ava realm. Each mine has 3 veins which you must harpoon and remove all the colour for the quest to be considered as complete and you don't need to report back to Mantid after it.

==Fights==
Q: I can't seem to hurt Mantid as his rings are always gray.
A: Mantid only becomes vulnerable while it gobs down the blobs of colour spread around the arena.

Feel free to correct me and contribute to the FAQ. Any question answered in here will be added above.

Last edited by Throdax on 20 Sep 2010, 13:15, edited 16 times in total.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2009, 03:00 

29 Aug 2004, 16:52

Quote:
(Please stick it) :)
Q: Do these trees last forever?
A: A tree filled with colour, no matter what amount, will last around three cycle before running dry. When that happens it takes a few more cycles for the that tree to be available again.
It depends on tree, really. Small ones in "Fireflies" last 1 cycle (if I remember correctly), and trees in the first garden work for 5 cycles, though only a few of them give large income.
Quote:
A: Bear in mind that some gardens do not have traps, yet remember that time doesn't flow inside the chamber so, barring other predators, that your time to explore every nook and cranny of the chamber.
In Yani's garden look for a sticking snag. There is no trap in Ole's garden
Quote:
Q: Why can't I find traps in my mines?
A: Don't worry brothers don't take colour from veins.
If I am correct, they don't take colour from veins, but the do so from your harpoons collecting the lympha from veins.
Quote:
Q: A fight is coming, how do I get ready?
A: Well, there are three good advices. First fill yourself with colour in you palette. If you need a good rush of colour remember to use amber in your hearts as it speed the transformation process and fill as much hearts as possible. Secondly always keep enough colour in your hearts as those will be your life points in a fight. Last but not least, if you have colour to spare, keep some in your palette, as you can open you obscure mid fight and put more colour on your hearts if you keep getting hit.
Also it is mindful to boost up the characteristics you may need in the fight. Filling yourself with Gold or Violet is pretty useless, while Amarant (increases damage) and Azure (increases your movement speed) will surely come in handy. Note that some brothers deal almost no damage since the moment you understand how to fight them, so Emerald (increasing your defence) won't probably be of much use with these brothers.

Oh, and in "The Void" you CAN NOT open your obscura during the combat with the brothers. You can only fill your hearts at the very beginning.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2009, 01:22 

Q: I draw Donor glyph to revive the tree, but the game says "You should have used Donor..." as though I have failed.
A: This means the game cannot recognize your glyph. Which is bad, because only a fraction of used lympha will be used by tree to grow and bear fruit. The demonstration video shows quite an an unusual way to draw the symbol. Actually you need to draw a horizontal loop-shaped symbol with two ends on the right, and no more. You may also draw a long line left and down, then make a small loop and draw a long line to the right, slightly bent downwards. All that is considered "Donor" in the game is a combination of these two in some proportion. Remember also to draw your symbols big, because the game takes small symbols for mere strokes of lympha (to put it into some object), and doesn't perform recognition on them.
Here is the video I recorded to aid you in drawing the glyph: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNf5TYjgoNI . It is important to learn how to draw it effectively and quick, because you are probably going to draw it a lot during the course of the game.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 14:25 

09 Nov 2009, 00:17

Quote:
A2: In Yani's garden look for a sticking snag. There is no trap in Ole's garden
There is a trap in Ole's garden, it's the garden below Ole, i think it was the Sister in the blimp, where i can't find a trap.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 15:00 

Quote:
There is a trap in Ole's garden, it's the garden below Ole, i think it was the Sister in the blimp, where i can't find a trap.
Wow, I have completely forgotten... It wasn't there before.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 11:37 
In Turgor!

Quote:
Quote:
A2: In Yani's garden look for a sticking snag. There is no trap in Ole's garden
Eli garden doesn't have a trap, iirc.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2009, 00:41 

04 Nov 2009, 04:30

Can't remember the sister now, but I'm pretty sure Twist is the name of said garden. It's a lot like the first garden (and I mean a LOT), only it has some glowing things around the trees and somewhere in the middle.
All others have traps as far as I recall.

Btw, it's really creepy how some chambers look so much alike.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 14:16 
In Turgor!

Reordered the FAQ a bit and divided it by topic.
Added two more questions and topics: Quests and Fights.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 15:38 

04 Aug 2009, 08:57

" Remember that the quest involved two mines. One in the Nameless Sister realm and the other in Uta realm IIRC."

Wasn't the second one in the realm of Ava?, sort of stronghold or something. Right corner of the Voidmap anyway, while Uta is on the left side everstaring at the eyemoon with ever cold-stone face. (though pretty one)

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 19:58 

20 Nov 2009, 19:55

Hi all,

Just started playing The Void, loving it :-)

Quick question. I've filled both hearts for the first sister, and am setting about the next two sisters.

But should I also be working at filling the first sister's (namless?) third heart? It costs a lot, and I don't want to grind for half an hour to do it, only to be told it's too early or something like that...

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 20:14 

Quote:
But should I also be working at filling the first sister's (namless?) third heart? It costs a lot, and I don't want to grind for half an hour to do it, only to be told it's too early or something like that...
No, you don't have to do this.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 20:45 
In Turgor!

Quote:
" Remember that the quest involved two mines. One in the Nameless Sister realm and the other in Uta realm IIRC."

Wasn't the second one in the realm of Ava?, sort of stronghold or something. Right corner of the Voidmap anyway, while Uta is on the left side everstaring at the eyemoon with ever cold-stone face. (though pretty one)

You are correct. ;)

(Hence I said IIRC)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 16:57 

04 Aug 2009, 08:57

Let me confess a bit: I just fell in love with Uta and, more admirely, with her domain. Charming chamber, great piece of artwork and style... i mean it was rather easy for me to recall quickly that there is no mine nearby Uta's realm since i spent hell lot of the time lurking around and mocking at Mantid.

And yeah, better late than never: thank you for the Tension longplay project!, watched it all through and really loved it. (and was shocked what tremendous amount of work you carried out. God bless enthusiasts.)

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 23:26 
In Turgor!

Added Game Fixes section.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 03:36 

03 Dec 2009, 02:38

Q: I'm halfway through the game and I can't get a certain colour to spawn/very small amount remains.
A1: I know its tempting to donate as much as possible to get the Sisters to open up but show a little restraint. Always ensure that you have enough of a particular colour to start a new tree in a new garden - because one tree quickly becomes two trees and two leads to many.
A2: You *did* remember to check the Lympha in your hearts before you left the chamber you were in, right? Too often have I just finished donating a wad of colour to a Sister and then 5 minutes later release I forgot to take the gold out. :?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 06:11 

13 Dec 2009, 05:58

Hi , I'm playing The Void , it's my first time playing and there's some questions I have , and their answers I require .

Q:Whaler challenged me to a fight , what are the effects of killing him ?

Q:I wanted to defeat the flying *bird* , the pangolin or something .. Based on the web video guide , I have to put a web on the small creatures and let the pangolin eat it . But the pangolin didn't eat any of the small creatures . Why ?
Late EDIT : It seems that later in the game , a Brother(Warden) will give me the task to kill the pangolin . Before the task is given , it seems the pangolin will not eat anything ..

Q:What are the consequence/repercussion of killing the pangolin ?

And .. just some unrelated questions . What's the deal with the naked chicks making sexually suggestive poses ? Just wanna know the rational behind it ... Personally I find it distasteful , except maybe one lady covered in fire . She's interesting , sorta like performing a ritual dance ..

Last edited by goldeneyes on 14 Dec 2009, 05:32, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 04:00 

03 Dec 2009, 02:38

Quote:
Hi , I'm playing The Void , it's my first time playing and there's some questions I have , and their answers I require .

Q:Whaler challenged me to a fight , what are the effects of killing him ?

Q:I wanted to defeat the flying *bird* , the pangolin or something .. Based on the web video guide , I have to put a web on the small creatures and let the pangolin eat it . But the pangolin didn't eat any of the small creatures . Why ?

Q:What are the consequence/repercussion of killing the pangolin ?

And .. just some unrelated questions . What's the deal with the naked chicks making sexually suggestive poses ? Just wanna know the rational behind it ... Personally I find it distasteful , except maybe one lady covered in fire . She's interesting , sorta like performing a ritual dance ..
1. From this, I'm guessing you've been spending a lot of time with Ava lately - see answer 4 in regards to this. As for the effects, you will recieve a heart and colour by defeating him and also unlock the potential for Ava to fill her fourth heart - something more important later in the game.

2. The creatures the Pangolin devours are only picked up from certain places - I think there's 3 different "snatch" points. I often found that it took a while for the webbed hoppers to cross these points. Best thing to do is web as many as possible and stock up on Red Lympha in order to maximise your damage.

3. The Pangolin must eventually die by your hand - fail to do it the first time and the Warden will pay you a visit. Fail to do it when asked a second time and its game over (for reasons that will be explained in detail by one of the other Brothers).

4. From what I've seen so far, Ava has the most sexually explicit donor animations. It is unfair an inaccurate to assume they are all like that. As for why, pay a visit to this thread and join the discussion - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9250 . Keep it civil as there's some very positive debate going on and it would be a crime to lock the thread.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 04:21 

08 Nov 2009, 03:50

Quote:
3. The Pangolin must eventually die by your hand - fail to do it the first time and the Warden will pay you a visit. Fail to do it when asked a second time and its game over
Hm? I finished the game without killing the Pangolin. When Warden challenged me I defeated him and then Montgolfier gave me the task of killing the other two beasts (which I also didn't do).

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 15:02 
In Turgor!

Added Steam to the official retailer list.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 22:55 

The game have certain random elements, but the the color that every Sister likes isn't random, doesn't it?

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 23:09 

Quote:
The game have certain random elements, but the the color that every Sister likes isn't random, doesn't it?
Of course not. These colours are pre-defined, and actually at the beginning of the game (first few chapters) the probabilities of different colour appearance on updates reflect the preferences of the Sisters you most likely will need to open at this stage.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 00:07 

Then this should be useful.

Map with the location of every Sister and their colors, including the wandering Sisters, with the extra of mines and gardens.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 00:46 

13 Dec 2009, 02:24

Quote:
Q: I get motion sickness when playing The Void. Any way I can avoid this?
A: Halfgild made a fix to the head bobbing in game. Just download here and follow the instructions contained
I'd have to guess that many people got sick for a different reason than the headbobbing (the fluid left-right viewpoint movement). My problem was the stuttering motion ingame, but not your typical low-FPS stutter. This thing happened only in the chambers, and only when I moved. Whenever I stopped moving everything was fluid once again, the predators, fireflies, the exit portal animation, etc. When I moved, the FPS was high, but I got a movement stutter appearing approx. 3 times per second, as if someone was constantly kicking my character in the back. This made the game almost unplayable for me, my eyes would hurt so much after ten minutes I had to exit the game and do something else for a while before continuing.

So anyway, after tweaking the settings (start menu -> Programs -> The Void -> Game settings) for a long time and trying out different combinations with stuff on and off, I came to the following conclusion: Refresh rate 59, vsync no = NO STUTTER! (even though Refresh rate 60, vsync yes = stutter, Refresh rate 60, vsync no = stutter, Refresh rate 59, vsync yes = stutter)

I practically stumbled upon this solution by chance, but I would've never guessed it because it just seemed like a problem that had something to do with the game mechanics and not visual settings. I tried changing the settings several times (even once again before typing this post) and each time it was as I discribed above unless I put RR on 59 and turned the vsync off.
The rest of the settings: 1920x1080, HDR Enabled, AA Disabled (bacause of the ATI mine veins invisibility bug), AF 16X, Texture High, Lightmap High.
PC: Intel Core2Duo E8400 @3,2GHz, Asus P5Q, ATI Radeon HD4890 Vapor-X, Acer X243H TFT

Did anyone else here encounter the same problem I have?
Quote:
A2: In Yani's garden look for a sticking snag. The same in Ole's garden.
Here's a small trap guide:

Nameless sister (Sister Death)
"Fog" (Garden) - After you come in, turn around, look to the right of the entrance and approach some of the roots coming down from the big rock above the entrance.

Uta (upper left from the nameless sister)
No Gardens, you can find a few small trees scattered around the two reservations, but no traps.

Una (upper left from Uta)
"Moorage" (Garden) - Near the bottom of the stairs is a huge rock with some spikey roots on it.

Ire (upper right from Uta)
No Gardens, but "Darkness" (reservation) looks almost exactly the same as Sister Death's "Fog" (Garden). You can grow trees there even though you can't use the rock above the entrance as a trap. The white thing in the middle of the area is not a trap, it's a summoner (like the one in Uta's "Heather" reservation).

Ava (upper right from the nameless sister)
"The Caves" (Garden) - There's a snag sticking out of the water right in front of the entrance, you won't miss it. :D

Eli (upper left from Ava)
"Twist" (Garden) - This is a regular garden, but there is no trap here.

Ima (upper right from Ava)
"Bridge" (Garden) - Across the bridge, next to a tree, there is a huge rock with some spikey roots on it (looks the same as the one in Una's garden).

Yani (top left)
"Hull" (Garden) - If the entrance were 6:00, the trap is on 12:00 in this round garden. It's a snag, like the one in Ava's garden.

Ole (top right)
"Memory" (Garden) - The same as Yani's garden.

Have fun impaling the brothers! :twisted:
Quote:
Q: Sisters take too long to open up their hearts. Can I do something?
A: Before feeding a sister with colour, make sure you fill yourself with the most gold possible. That will reduce the amount of colour you need to open up a sister heart.

Q: Any tips to save on colour?
A: A good tip is that the more violet you have in your hearts, the less colour you actually use while planting a tree.
After doing some testing, the multiplier for certain things increases the more color you have in your hearts, but only up to 100 of any color (hence the attribute bars on the lower left of the screen that don't show more than 100% even if you have more than 100 of color in your hearts). Having more than 100 doesn't increase the multiplier any further than 1,5x. You can add more than 100 of each color if you want to have more HP in a fight, but if you want to:
use up less color when filling a sister's heart (gold),
use up less color when filling a tree (violet/purple),
convert lympha to nerva faster (amber/yellow),
inflict less to no damage to the realm / prevent the predators from appearing (silver),
inflict more damage in a fight (crimson/red),
recieve less damage in a fight (emerald/green)
or move faster / jump further (azure/blue),
there's no point in filling more than 100 of each color.
For example, when having 100 or more gold in your heart/hearts you can fill 300 worth of color in a sisters heart by using 200 worth of color from your palette (1,5x).

Quote:
Too often have I just finished donating a wad of colour to a Sister and then 5 minutes later release I forgot to take the gold out. :?
If only I recieved a penny each time this made me reload an earlier save... :lol:

Quote:
Then this should be useful.

Map with the location of every Sister and their colors, including the wandering Sisters, with the extra of mines and gardens.

That IS really useful, thanks man!

If only I had this a week ago, it would save me from sticking a million post-its with names, colours and hand-drawn maps all over my desk. :lol:

Even though when you hover your mouse over Ire's topmost chamber, it says "Darkness (Reservation)" (probably the reason it's not marked as garden on your map), I guess it could also count as garden since it's, apart from the lack of the trap function, the same as the nameless sister's garden with 12 or so trees that can grow color.

Sorry for the long post, folks. :oops:

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2009, 01:57 

17 Dec 2009, 01:43

Thanks for this Faq, Also for the Video of drawing the Donor glyph, the different ways you drew them and they got accepted.. it seems i'm drawing them better now. Failing less often :) am wondering.. have you try'd drawing the glyph with a square instead of a circle? think that should work aswell.

Anyway, big thanks! and seems i'm getting a bit addicted to the game as i play more ;) think that i'l *love it* soon lol.

Cronotorious

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 17:27 
In Turgor!

Added another Q and A, marked in green.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable